How do manage the throttle during air refueling?

lee1hy

I'm having a lot of difficulty refueling, I'm pretty new and have practiced flying off the tanker wing for a while. That seems to be getting better. Problems arise when I open the AR door and the gains change in the FCS. Then I'm all over the place!!

Open the AR door well before you get into precontact position. Especially if you have external tanks. I think the manual says to have it open like 3-4 min prior to getting on the boom so the externals can depressurize and receive gas. This will also allow you time to "warm up" on the new FCS gain settings.

Another trick is to just fly formation off the wing of the tanker like you're in fingertip or in the observation position. Work on maintaining the same relative place there as precisely as possible as a "warmup" for flying formation underneath. Once you can fly formation well on the wing, you can do it in the contact position. Once there, Don't chase the lights or look at the boom. AS before on the wing, just try to fly formation and use the lights as a fine tune. If you're still within the range of being in the boom envelope, don't chase it to be dead perfect. If they are not moving, you're ok. Good enough is good enough. Use the lights to see trends developing so you can fix it before you hit the edge of the envelope.

Finally, just crack the speedbrake a little and that will help with the sensitive throttle.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I'll say what I do, but years of practice of flying close formation is where I got comfortable.

There is no one value of the throttle that will keep you in formation. You should be making tiny throttle adjustments while on the boom (or in formation period), the only aircraft in the formation that doesn't jockey the throttle is the jet acting as the lead, and who everyone is flying off of.

Hard to see me moving the throttle, but you can see the Fuel Flow fluctuate, should give you an idea how much I'm moving it back and forwards.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP