Made some MiG21 Guides.

n8d0g

Good day all!

I know many of us aren't too keen on reading the massive amount of text or the rather bland in-game lessons, so I made a collection of short tutorials for different aspects of the MiG21.

These are not particularity detailed, but they are certainly good if you just want to get into flying quickly and build your own knowledge from there. Nothing is over 15 minutes long and they are split into smaller subjects.

Feedback always welcome, just bear in mind, these are QUICK GUIDES without huge amount of specific data details, not in-dept tutorials :joystick:

Hope these will be useful!

That start up video is just wrong. It is wrong on so many levels I cant even start to describe it.

Why is somebody doing tutorial videos if they dont understand the aircraft systems is beyond me.

All I can say is DO NOT go by this presented procedure, you are better of with start up procedures from game manual or RL manual.

DCS doesn't model engine startup fires, so the fire suppression system is not a big deal tbh. With that said, the part about the gunsight failing is bogus. I suspect their problem was neglecting the main HUD power switch on the right panel. In total, the MiG-21 should be rolling down the runway or taxiway within about 45 seconds.

My process is very simple. Battery, inverters and fuel pumps on, apu + fire system on, unlock and set throttle and then hit the start button. While the engine is spooling up, I go back to the right panel and turn everything else on. It's super quick and hasn't caused me a problem yet. Is it technically the right way for the real thing? Nah, you'd probably want the fire suppression system on the instant you switch the battery on. But other than that it should be fine. Incidentally, that's the same way the interactive tutorial in game does it.

On an unrelated note, why does everyone always zoom super far out for that fisheye effect? You can see him struggling to hit the switches/buttons. I typically zoom in for hitting those switches and pause TIR if I'm working a few things in one panel. It's so much easier that way.

Good day all!

I know many of us aren't too keen on reading the massive amount of text or the rather bland in-game lessons, so I made a collection of short tutorials for different aspects of the MiG21.

These are not particularity detailed, but they are certainly good if you just want to get into flying quickly and build your own knowledge from there. Nothing is over 15 minutes long and they are split into smaller subjects.

Feedback always welcome, just bear in mind, these are QUICK GUIDES without huge amount of specific data details, not in-dept tutorials :joystick:

Don't be disheartened by the above comments. Correct your procedures and try again. Great that you attempted it in the first place:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't be disheartened by the above comments. Correct your procedures and try again. Great that you attempted it in the first place:)

Exactly...

Come on guys... You brought up some valid points, but how about being a bit easier on the guy about them? Here's a guy trying to help out and taking the time to provide a useful guide for newbies... (And once it has been "tweaked" it WILL be useful)

Thanks for the effort Buddy... As Cibit stated.. Make some corrections and try again as it will be appreciated!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

The start-up process is not really all that bad. Just a bit sloppy. Taking off at 400km/h leaves you with a real small room for error at the tire-bursting speed of 450 km/h. But don't you have to retract flaps first before placing it into neutral? And you didn't retract taxi-lights. (as seen in the the Ghrom tutorial) THis has no known effect in game, but in real life, they will probably rip off and damage your airframe.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Well said Cibit.............mirrored my thoughts on this too.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

As everyone else said, nice try, but please try again.

If you're going to say exactly what the switch you're clicking at that moment is, make sure you know what it really is. Noticed a few times where your description of the switch was just wrong.

Please for the love of god don't use the gun cam. It was only used in training sorties and serves no function in DCS. I die a little more every time I see a video with it on.

Also, RSBN is like a VOR. ARC is the NDB equivalent

Edited by ttaylor0024

...except the lights not working anymore once you exceed 700 km/h. Surely I can't be the only one to have noticed this?

They extend and retract into the bottom of the wings. At speeds above 700kph they're subject to getting ripped off. Just make sure to retract them before that mark and you're good to go

N8d0g,

Ignore the naysayers and make your MiG-21 flight gouge the way you want to. Those who are critics can modify it and those who know no better may profit from it nonetheless. This is a simulation built for enjoyment. Far too many here get wound up tight over minutia. I applaud your positive effort! If you don't have a rhino skin you do now. ;-)

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

N8d0g,

Ignore the naysayers and make your MiG-21 flight gouge the way you want to. Those who are critics can modify it and those who know no better may profit from it nonetheless. This is a simulation built for enjoyment. Far too many here get wound up tight over minutia. I applaud your positive effort! If you don't have a rhino skin you do now. ;-)

The problem with this is that it's irresponsible to produce incorrect guides and give people false information. Teaching is supposed to get you into the information so that very thing doesn't happen. You would get much, much better results with the extra hour of studying before writing a list of items to cover in a video.

N8d0g,

The point is that he didnt make just video for entertaiment. What he did was more of an educational video and as such should be held to the higher standard both in correctnes of the facts and in presentation.

Good day all!

Thanks for posting something useful, even if it is not absolutely accurate:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A86.JyR08dlUDQMAOyEnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aWRtNmFyBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwMV8x?p=haters+gonna+hate+hate+hate&tnr=21&vid=9B45617CBFD0D0263EF49B45617CBFD0D0263EF4&l=242&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.607999775654545622%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rb5a2t1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnfWlot6h_JM&sigr=11bqgnqtv&tt=b&tit=Taylor+Swift+-+Shake+It+Off&sigt=10r361aol&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dhaters%2Bgonna%2Bhate%2Bhate%2Bhate%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=137euod82&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate!!

Well, the thing is that the MiG-21 has been available to us for how long now? Half a year? Allready quite a good number of Tutorial video's exist for it from almost the beginning. And that is even seperate from the excellent training missions. And If you decide to make some NEW tutorial vids, they better be good because in half a year, the MiG-21 is one of the most popular 3rd party module and it has got a big community. And many people know this module down to the most tiny detail.

Tutorial vids are typically meant for new players and although the MiG-21 probably would attract new players at a slow and steady rate, it won't be having a very large new group of people like it had on the release day.

That being said, The original posters of this message and the vids, n8d0g, doesn't deserve to get beaten down like this. But he needs to realize although his methods might work for him, his MiG-21 tutorials are sloppy (confusing the pneumatic gear/brake system with hydraulic for instance) and won't go well with a serious sim crowd.

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

The point is that he didnt make just video for entertaiment. What he did was more of an educational video and as such should be held to the higher standard both in correctnes of the facts and in presentation.

Don't worry; the video came with a money back guarantee. :D

In all seriousness, I think I get what you're saying. The thing is that slamming the OP for his efforts does nothing to improve his skills or correct his technique. If we are to hold creators of educational videos to higher standards to staunch the flow of inaccuracy, then our standards of criticism should be higher. Namely, we should correct the OP as to the proper technique, and why, and perhaps a reference to a source that covers the same subject more accurately.

Pitchforks and burning torches surround the castle! Blasphemy the crowd screams!

Come on guys, be a little more circumspect here. It is a well meant exercise, and OK it needs polishing, but it's not that sinful is it?

I admire the OP for his efforts, and let's hope you haven't all scared him off for life here. Keep up the good work, and remember, the devil is in the detail.

We once were all small, crawling on the floor and were real happy when somebody placed us on his lap and showed us the bigger world, up we wine t in their arms and the world got bigger every day. Soon we walked, yes bloody knees and hands too, some teeth went missing down the road

and by the end of the day we took the corner in a car and not a tricycle anymore. All along this way and still today, we fail, every day.

The most important thing we have ever learned is to STAND UP and TRY HARDER.

Without this, the YES in you, against all critics and odds, you have long lost without ever having started.

In simple words:

Yes, the critics have their right to bitch about this and that, it's a high value sim, nature of the beast.

The more important part, DCS inspired you to be creative, share what you have learned, regardless how small and incomplete that still is, you got and you gave.

Heads up !

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 3 weeks later...

The way in DCS the engine is started up intentionally simplified I guess. The real startup heavily involves for example the circuit breakers which are not even clickable in this sim. So arguing on the fact that an incorrect startup procedure is being thaught incorrectly is useless the least.

The video isn't that bad, only thing is some actions in the sequence could be harmful for the aircraft.

Take off speed and lights was mentioned before, there is also the air start switch that is activated during the sequence.

This switch is used in flight for engine relight in air and has a limited oxygen supply, so if you leave it ON all the time, your air relight might not work when you need it.

Keep it up and just release an updated video :thumbup:

Edited by PiedDroit