Landing

williehayesjr

No, this doesn't have anything to do with the engine spool up / go around in case of the F-15.

The RPM during the approach is way above the slow acceleration area, and the difference between speed brake in and out is only approximately 2%.

The F-15A preliminary manual says to extend the speed brake to assist in speed reduction for the gear extension and the later manuals are stating that the use is optional.

The main difference between speed brake in and out is, that with the speed brake retracted, the tendency to float is higher.

So if there's a slight ballooning during the flare, you will float along quite a bit longer than with the retracted speed brake. Contrary to the real F-15, the ground effect in the DCS version is (almost?) non-existant.

2% RPM difference between airbrake in and out seems small to me, but my only reference is the game. I guess I'll have to take your word for it. For now. :)

The Japanese don't seem to decelerate with the extended airbrake (mostly same slope and AoA until flare point), so would that mean they are doing this to avoid floating only? Japan being an island, would strong winds be a factor in shaping this SOP?

And yeah, the ground effect... never understood why people would talk about it because I just don't feel the cushion is there for planes (although for the choppers, it is definitely present).

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

2% RPM difference between airbrake in and out seems small to me, but my only reference is the game. I guess I'll have to take your word for it. For now. :)

Just checked in-game. The difference is indeed small, about 2-3%. I probably mistook some of the extra noise generated by the air brake out for engine power noise.

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

And yeah, the ground effect... never understood why people would talk about it because I just don't feel the cushion is there for planes.

Just re-tested the F/A-18 and the F-5E and (at least) in these 2 planes the ground effect is definitely simulated.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Japan being an island, would strong winds be a factor in shaping this SOP?

Difficult to tell. The -1 doesn't even mention the use of the speed brake for max performance, crosswind or flaps up landings.

If the -1 doesn't say anything, it's up to the pilot, experience, preference etc.. Don't know how strict the US or Japanese SOPs are. Those are fighter pilots, not airline pilots ;)

Edited by bbrz

Max performance (and by that I assume minimum ground run) would probably not look like the approaches we do here.

Same wight heavyweight.

Approach with 2 deg glideslope, 23AoA, get nose gear on ground right away and apply max braking. The rest almost doesn't matter I think - flaps up might be preferred to get rid of any potential addition of lift and put maximum weight on wheels.

Not sure what to think about the airbrake - it might be relevant for a short time but the higher thrust required to operate with the brake out could be a detriment.

IIRC for cross-wind landings, do not aerobrake.

Difficult to tell. The -1 doesn't even mention the use of the speed brake for max performance, crosswind or flaps up landings.

If the -1 doesn't say anything, it's up to the pilot, experience, preference etc.. Don't know how strict the US or Japanese SOPs are. Those are fighter pilots, not airline pilots ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not sure what to think about the airbrake - it might be relevant for a short time but the higher thrust required to operate with the brake out could be a detriment

Since you are touching down at idle, the extended speed brake can't be a detriment and since it's extended for all landings in the -1 performance section, I'd say it's not optional in the max performance case.

The -1 states that the extended speed brake may help with speed control and to shorten the landing run.

Retracting the flaps during aerobraking and even shutting down one engine after touchdown should be also considered on a wet runway.

Concerning xwnd; the -1suggests not to aerobrake down to a very low airspeed on a contaminated runway.

Edited by bbrz

I might argue about touching down at idle with a heavy bird. Throttle is 'as required' and I have some doubts about a safe landing at idle in the path I suggested. I haven't tried it though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That's one of the problems with the DCS F-15. The -1 states that the ground effect is so pronounced that it can be difficult to notice that actual touchdown.

Without this effect you need more energy and/or a more positive flare than with the real F-15.

Let's agree that you don't land a heavy F-15 with the approach power setting ;)

With a heavy F-15 you have much more inertia/energy, so the tendency to float is even higher IMO. I always land the F-15 at idle, regardless of the weight.

Edited by bbrz

• 4 months later...