Handling characteristics of Spitfire vs Mustang

aileron

So I was watching this video and the pilot says something about flying by the book the mustang is a safe airplane @ 53 seconds in. That its killed a lot of pilots.

It got me thinking.

What are the differences between the Spitfire and the Mustangs flying characteristics?

Is the Spitfire easier to fly? Are they just both quirky in their own ways?

Anybody got a good grasp of the differences... couldn't really find anything online.

There's some very long answers to this question that revolve around wing loading and some of the aerodynamic design choices made by the designers between the two aircraft designs.

The short answer is yes the Spitfire is easier to fly - at the edge of it's envelope.

However it could be argued that with such devices as the mechanism which binds tail wheel steering to rudder control, wider undercarriage track and more ergomic cockpit that the Mustang is easier to operate when flown within set parameters and not too close too it's performance limits.

Suggestions for further reading - regards the Spitfire, google wash out, frise ailerons and neutral static stability. For the Mustang, laminar flow aerofoil, adverse yaw & wing loading.

I can expound further later but that should give you some grasp as to the profound differences between the a/c to be going forward with.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

Check this cite

Short Finals is the blog name of one of the most knowledgeable people I've met. He is former curator of the RAF museum and an all around wonderful human being. https://shortfinals.wordpress.com/

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit