Exit Auto Hover = Death

Flit

So... stupid question, but how do I engage auto hover? I turn on all the autopilot channels and hit the auto hover button while at a hover and it doesn't take over. I know I'm missing something.
Are the AP buttons lit up? And you are on 2.5 with deferred shading? There is a bug right now that invert the light on the buttons, the AP channels are on when the buttons are not lit up.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

-Do not use Central Position Trimmer mode. :) Its a trap.

-The AP Channels can Disconnect (Start to flash) when the initial trim and Speed do not meet the their requirements (maximum speed < 30km/h and Petrim < 25% AP Authority).

-Auto turn on Target does not overlap with trim.

-Try to use Ruddertrim

-Try not to use Autohover whenever possible.:) Its a trap... ;)

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Well, I think that was it. Devrim, and everybody else, thank you.

I believe the issue for me was exactly as Devrim suggested: I was in Central Trimming Mode and I have now changed this to Default Trimming Mode. It was an ignorant choice of options on my part lol.

I'm not sure exactly what Central Trimming Mode was doing to me, but the change to Default mode is quite amazing. The Ka-50 does what I tell it to now - no more witchcraft.

Well, I think that was it. Devrim, and everybody else, thank you.

Good to hear you got it sorted out :-)

-Try to use Ruddertrim

I would say the other way around ;)

-Try not to use Ruddertrim. Its a trap...

-Try to use Autohover whenever possible. Smooth and easy to use...

Well, just a matter of taste I guess and highly dependent on physical controls :)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Well, I think that was it. Devrim, and everybody else, thank you...
I'm so glad you've done it Flit. Have a nice flight.

...-Try not to use Ruddertrim. Its a trap...
Agree. It ruins my flight. :D

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Anyone having auto hover issues? Mine will not come on.

The Auto over will not come on until te INU has had the time to go thru its alignment. Generally once you see the speed display on your HUD, your auto hover should work. If you haven't allowed it, the AP buttons start blinking.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I understand but I use auto start and the menu advises me that the chopper is ready for flight. Can't be it.

It is ready for flight, but you still need the INU to be ready which it is not immediately after autostart. Wait 4 mins after you autostart. You also need to trim the heli around 5 degrees up.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I have been having some issues with the Ka-50. I hadn't flown the Ka-50 since 2010, so I assumed I was out of touch and making an error with my button pushing, but I was chatting in the Steam DCS section and it seems I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

Here is my problem:

I'm in auto hover, happily blasting tanks et al, and when I'm all spent I reset the targeting mode, deactivate auto hover and attempt to fly off in another direction.

It's at this point when I seem to frequently run into trouble. It's as if my trim isn't working, or it's got some other haunted idea and my demise in mind... and so I end up fighting the damned thing as I try to correct it - it's like riding an angry rodeo bull - it wobbles and pulls and throws and eventually I plow into the dirt.

Anybody else experienced this lately? I'm not sure if this is a 2.5 bug or a pilot error.

Took me about 2 years to get good with Ka-50 and started with BS1.

Ka-50 for me performs pretty good lately 2.5 OpenBeta and the latest 3rd patch.

Some negative issues with NVG on the 104th's night ops sorties with weird shadow effects that actually sometimes obscure vision.

Mine hovers just fine. Understanding how to setup properly and using autopilot properly is the key.

I taught myself, trial and error.

I consider myself 90% or so proficient flying her.

I usually fly cross-country freehand in Flight Director mode and use various navigation utilities to plan my flight while I am in flight : F10 map, kneeboard map, etc. Also print stuff out for reference beforehand. I use the 3 main blue light autopilot push buttons all the time.

My favorite hobby is to sneak behind enemy lines, way back, and create havoc. Not telling how. Hard enough to evade enemy fighters; not giving my tactics away.

I use a pre-programmed controllers setup for my CH Controls trio for the Black Shark that "Capt Crunch" created for BS1 using the CH Control Manager and is very well thought out. I asked his permission to use it years ago.

Link is here: http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php?/files/category/8-helicopter-sim-profiles/

http://www.ch-hangar.com/

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is ready for flight, but you still need the INU to be ready which it is not immediately after autostart. Wait 4 mins after you autostart. You also need to trim the heli around 5 degrees up.

Reaper6

I did not know that.

I takeoff in Flight Director mode. Stay on the FARP too long, I get blasted.

That explains why my digital speed indicator does not show up right away on the HUD.

I also use the analog gauges.

104th server sorties I fly at night!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Do not use Central Position Trimmer mode. :) Its a trap.

-The AP Channels can Disconnect (Start to flash) when the initial trim and Speed do not meet the their requirements (maximum speed < 30km/h and Petrim < 25% AP Authority).

-Auto turn on Target does not overlap with trim.

-Try to use Ruddertrim

I violate all of this and do quite well.

I guess it is just a matter of getting used to what one gets used to.

LOL!

Thanks for your info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did not know that.

I takeoff in Flight Director mode. Stay on the FARP too long, I get blasted.

That explains why my digital speed indicator does not show up right away on the HUD.

I also use the analog gauges.

104th server sorties I fly at night!!

It's 2min & 20 sec for HUD to warm-up. And 4 min & 40 sec for DNS warm-up. Both times are started/controlled by the K-041 switch. You may also experience a reset of the DNS when RPM drops to low and generators don't produce enough power output(Shkval shuts off, etc). Or when repairing(Unless you connect ground power). If you try to enter hover prior to DNS finishing, autopilot channels begin to blink and the hover system will not engage. The 4 minutes/40 seconds does not start until at least one engines generator is producing power(or ground power is connected) and the K-041 switch is turned on.

Reaper6

• Like 1

"De oppresso liber"

• 3 weeks later...
No kidding? Well that 'splains a lot.
Just for clarity, that bug is in 2.5 with Deferred Shading on only. Turn DF off and the lights behave as they should.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
Are the AP buttons lit up? And you are on 2.5 with deferred shading? There is a bug right now that invert the light on the buttons, the AP channels are on when the buttons are not lit up.

Thanks for that info!

After a long pause I tried the BS in OB 2.5 and it was an uncontrollable mess. When I flew it in 1.5.8 it behaved very nicely. Not sure I want to turn deferred shading off and try to figure out whether the pilot lights are on or off. I'll wait for the fix for the 2.5 version and play with 1.58 in the meantime.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Try to tune your Gamma correction, you can do that while you are flying btw, it gets better with some Gamma values than others, mine's set to 1.6 and I can see them good enough with 1.6.

Give 2.5 a try, take the heli and fly along a vally, you will not go back. VR is even better, those trees...2.5 is trees everywhere and it makes it so nice.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Try to tune your Gamma correction, you can do that while you are flying btw, it gets better with some Gamma values than others, mine's set to 1.6 and I can see them good enough with 1.6.

Give 2.5 a try, take the heli and fly along a vally, you will not go back. VR is even better, those trees...2.5 is trees everywhere and it makes it so nice.

I didn't see much improvement from changing the gamma value. Will continue in 1.5.8 until this is fixed. When I fly the shark, my focus is on managing the heli, much more than looking at trees. I fly all my other aircrafts in 2.5 of course.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5