F5 or mig 21 ?

bushido

I picked up the mig21. Happy I did. It makes some awesome sounds. The part has worried about , wasn't an issue. Most of the common switches have English written above/below them. Having it shortens the learning curve by a large margin.

I must say though, the flame outs at high altitude was a surprise and can get you killed quickly if you are not aware.

personal preference comes into play, do you want a plane that has good visibility and nice aerodynamics, or do you want a plane that acts like your ex, unstable but a hell of alot fun

My ex wasn't a lot of fun

Can i get a refund?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We can argue about this until the cows come home but from a purely capability point of view the MiG-21 is the better aircraft. That's not to say the F-5 is useless, it can perform. But in a head to head setting with pilots of equal (decently skilled) ability the MiG should have it in the bag the majority of times.

Ultimately Bushido (original poster) you buy what you want. If you like the US style layout and have a generous wallet get the F-5. If you want a steeper learning curve & multirole capable airframe get the MiG-21.

If I had to recommend one module outright it would be the A-10C. It's just the best.

Your opinion is definitly noted. Wrangling around the herd of cats in my squad that flies both aircraft tells a very different story. Too similarly skilled pilots F5 wins 9 outve 10 times. This has even been backed up by soviet test pilots with links in these forums stating the F5 kicked butt Mikoyan booty. F5 not multirole???? It has way more A/G capacity then the Fishbed by far. Minus guided rockets, the SPS 141, and R3Rs I'd take the Tiger.

on

Gotta say I'm surprised at how many people recommended the F-5, I own both and don't get me wrong I enjoy flying them both but the MiG-21 is in a league of its own.

I'm not going to argue which is the better performing aircraft but from a content and character standpoint the MiG absolutely has the F-5 beat. There are multiple campaigns available, it has far more options available when it comes to armament and it's just a LOT more interesting to fly.

The F-5, sorry to say it, is pretty run of the mill, I wouldn't go so far to say it's boring but compared to the MiG... It just doesn't stack up. Hell, even landing and taking off in the MiG is exciting, the thing feels like a damn rocket ship.

I know Maple Flags did a payware campaign for the Tiger (I've flown it) and it basically amounts to Street Fighter in the air.

I would recommend you pass on the F-5 for now, go with the MiG-21 and in the future pick up the Tiger when there are more interesting paces to run it through.

Gotta say I'm surprised at how many people recommended the F-5, I own both and don't get me wrong I enjoy flying them both but the MiG-21 is in a league of its own.

I'm not going to argue which is the better performing aircraft but from a content and character standpoint the MiG absolutely has the F-5 beat. There are multiple campaigns available, it has far more options available when it comes to armament and it's just a LOT more interesting to fly.

The F-5, sorry to say it, is pretty run of the mill, I wouldn't go so far to say it's boring but compared to the MiG... It just doesn't stack up. Hell, even landing and taking off in the MiG is exciting, the thing feels like a damn rocket ship.

I know Maple Flags did a payware campaign for the Tiger (I've flown it) and it basically amounts to Street Fighter in the air.

I would recommend you pass on the F-5 for now, go with the MiG-21 and in the future pick up the Tiger when there are more interesting paces to run it through.

Have to agree with this. By no means am I having a dig at the F-5 but in my opinion if you're choosing between the two the Mig-21 has its own querky characteristics that make it very enjoyable. It has a very broad array of weapons to choose amongst which all have a unique way to set up and employ. I love ground attack in the Mig it's really cool. Even the navigation systems are interesting and cool to use along with the Russian ILS system. One thing is you need to spend some time to learn the Mig where the F-5 I had it learned in a short space of time. So if you don't have the time or don't want to spend time going through training missions or manuals then go with the F-5 but otherwise choose the Mig.

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I have both the Mig-21 and the F-5E. I've had the Mig-21 since 2015 and the F-5E for over a month now. My opinion: go with the F-5.

Mig-21:

Pros:

The Mig-21 is faster

it carry radar guided missiles as well as 2 types of nuclear weapons

Cons:

Visibility is rather poor

Handling can be harsh (shacking and engine failure is a problem)

Landing (for me) is nearly impossible. Even the tutorial doesn't help in that respect and the autopilot is only slightly helpful :doh: :helpsmilie:

F-5E:

Pros:

The F-5E is easier to fly

Air to Ground attacks it does carry GBU-12s and they are nice once you learn how to JTAC

Landing is very easy with the F-5E

I've never had an engine failure.

Cons:

The F-5E is slower than the Mig-21

It only carries 2 AIM-9s for Air to Air combat

I've found the radar is more of a liability than a help when going against other fighters

So, for me

F-5E :pilotfly:

Mig-21 :chair:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

I have both the Mig-21 and the F-5E. I've had the Mig-21 since 2015 and the F-5E for over a month now. My opinion: go with the F-5.

Mig-21:

Pros:

The Mig-21 is faster

it carry radar guided missiles as well as 2 types of nuclear weapons

Cons:

Visibility is rather poor

Handling can be harsh (shacking and engine failure is a problem)

Landing (for me) is nearly impossible. Even the tutorial doesn't help in that respect and the autopilot is only slightly helpful :doh: :helpsmilie:

F-5E:

Pros:

The F-5E is easier to fly

Air to Ground attacks it does carry GBU-12s and they are nice once you learn how to JTAC

Landing is very easy with the F-5E

I've never had an engine failure.

Cons:

The F-5E is slower than the Mig-21

It only carries 2 AIM-9s for Air to Air combat

I've found the radar is more of a liability than a help when going against other fighters

So, for me

F-5E :pilotfly:

Mig-21 :chair:

Those shakings and hard landings are actually pretty cool for me atleast i like that the jet sometimes fight with the pilot

It show the real toughness of old soviet machines

Those shakings and hard landings are actually pretty cool for me atleast i like that the jet sometimes fight with the pilot

It show the real toughness of old soviet machines

I'll give it that; it's certainly a tough bird. The landings are just killing me though. :joystick: Since I had the Mig-21 I've only landed it 3 times (twice last night) and even then only once did the wheels stay on. :cry: All the other times it's just been crash before the runway. The 3 times I "landed" it I didn't bother with the autopilot.

How do you land? do you use the autopilot to set you up or do you do it all manually?

I really really want to like the Mig-21 but if I can't land it then I'm stuck.

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

I'll give it that; it's certainly a tough bird. The landings are just killing me though. :joystick: Since I had the Mig-21 I've only landed it 3 times (twice last night) and even then only once did the wheels stay on. :cry: All the other times it's just been crash before the runway. The 3 times I "landed" it I didn't bother with the autopilot.

How do you land? do you use the autopilot to set you up or do you do it all manually?

You're probably trying to approach at too low an airspeed. Check to see the correct approach and touch down speed for the mig. If you go too slow in a Mig 21 it drops like a stone. Of course make sure you have full flaps. I'm sure you already have.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

1. Have a key bind for the parachute you will need it.

2. Drop speed to 400 kmh (600 around meters high)

3. Drop landing flaps and gear

4. increase throttle to 95% to stay at 400 kmh (Keep speed up)

5. Don't pull the throttle right back, slowly pull throttle back, speed around 350 to 330 flare nose up 10 deg touch down.

6. Once down pull the chute, the chute helps keep her straight and slows her up quick.

7. Brake

Download Chuck's MiG21 Guide

The MiG is a handful to land as it comes in fast, but there is so much fun to be had here taming her. The MiG did surprised me, I didn't think I would like it but now it's one of my favorite challenging modules to stay somewhat proficient at, the MiG21 is nuts to come back to after flying the A10's slow speed for awhile. I do also have the F5, quite a bit easier to handle and a more forgiving aircraft.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You land it faster than you think and dont chop the throttle, you are maintaining your AoA on the flightpath, not hitting it briefly before sinking. Once you take a little more time on the approach it will come, it's mostly a patience thing, whereas some other jets you can do ridiculous approaches and slam the brakes.

F5 and Mig21 are what they are, IMHO, the Mig 21 is a lot more in depth, quirky, multi function and has a longer play time. That doesn't mean the F5 is bad, each represent the plane they model very well, and as it happens the general public now have a good idea of the effort required for both planes in real life. That is to say, the F-5e is quite an easy plane to fly, with simple characteristics, great handling and conveniences. Western navigation, but basic.

I fly whichever i'm in the mood for, sometimes, I don't want to put in the effort and I'll go F-5. Sometimes i'm not tired and fancy learning a part of the Mig-21 again or for the first time. Mig-21 has the weapon loadout that interests me the most, its pylon's, they have lots of room for those wanting everything in one mission and to me is a superior plane, both modules being equally well done.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

1. Have a key bind for the parachute you will need it.

2. Drop speed to 400 kmh (600 around meters high)

3. Drop landing flaps and gear

4. increase throttle to 95% to stay at 400 kmh (Keep speed up)

5. Don't pull the throttle right back, slowly pull throttle back, speed around 350 to 330 flare nose up 10 deg touch down.

6. Once down pull the chute, the chute helps keep her straight and slows her up quick.

7. Brake

Download Chuck's MiG21 Guide

The MiG is a handful to land as it comes in fast, but there is so much fun to be had here taming her. The MiG did surprised me, I didn't think I would like it but now it's one of my favorite challenging modules to stay somewhat proficient at, the MiG21 is nuts to come back to after flying the A10's slow speed for awhile. I do also have the F5, quite a bit easier to handle and a more forgiving aircraft.

Thanks for the help.

Looking at the list I'd say my problem is #2 and #4. I have a hard time keeping it at 400 kmh. I always keep seeing it drop to 300 or even 200. I try to recover but it's already too late.

Another problem I have is that when I turn the auto pilot off to try and land it the wings keep dipping and I'm way off the mark at that point. I can't quite get it.

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

Thanks for the help.

Looking at the list I'd say my problem is #2 and #4. I have a hard time keeping it at 400 kmh. I always keep seeing it drop to 300 or even 200. I try to recover but it's already too late.

Another problem I have is that when I turn the auto pilot off to try and land it the wings keep dipping and I'm way off the mark at that point. I can't quite get it.

You have plenty of engine power to maintain your speed, use it :D. On final, fully lower the flaps and keep your speed above 300kmh, depending on weight. Don't try to land with too heavy plane, have max 700l of fuel if you don't have weapons and 500l if you have some missiles. Touchdown very gently, at 1m/s or less and don't cut your throttle below 65-70 % until you're on the ground.

Above all, practice :D. I struggled with the landing too, so I set up a mission with very little fuel, set it to unlimited and kept doing touch and goes at Minvody (nice and long runaway) until I figured it out. Forget about the autopilot until you're comfortable landing it yourself.

Here's one of my recent landings:

and much earlier one:

You land it faster than you think and dont chop the throttle, you are maintaining your AoA on the flightpath, not hitting it briefly before sinking. Once you take a little more time on the approach it will come, it's mostly a patience thing, whereas some other jets you can do ridiculous approaches and slam the brakes.

F5 and Mig21 are what they are, IMHO, the Mig 21 is a lot more in depth, quirky, multi function and has a longer play time. That doesn't mean the F5 is bad, each represent the plane they model very well, and as it happens the general public now have a good idea of the effort required for both planes in real life. That is to say, the F-5e is quite an easy plane to fly, with simple characteristics, great handling and conveniences. Western navigation, but basic.

I fly whichever i'm in the mood for, sometimes, I don't want to put in the effort and I'll go F-5. Sometimes i'm not tired and fancy learning a part of the Mig-21 again or for the first time. Mig-21 has the weapon loadout that interests me the most, its pylon's, they have lots of room for those wanting everything in one mission and to me is a superior plane, both modules being equally well done.

The mig21 is not better for multi role function. For a2a, or feeling of flight characteristics its still arguably preference sure, but for ATG that is 1 thing there is no arguing over. F5E is easily the better multi mission tactical fighter due to possessing greater ordinance payload per pylon. Along with a JTAC or buddy lasing from an A10 you can deploy gbu12s too. and get kills 99.9% of the time.

if you go multmission mig21 loadout... thatl only leave you with 2 pylons to work with a2g ordinace. even without any Missiles freeing up 2 additional pylons, F5E still has hands down superior amount of Payload for ground attack compared to the 21. I think that for the Fighter bomber multi mission type people the F5E will be better suited.

Mig21 has nukes, but its more of a novelty feature considering effects are unrealistic and pretty much every Mp server has that banned... its not really that much of a +

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Your opinion is definitly noted. Wrangling around the herd of cats in my squad that flies both aircraft tells a very different story. Too similarly skilled pilots F5 wins 9 outve 10 times. This has even been backed up by soviet test pilots with links in these forums stating the F5 kicked butt Mikoyan booty.

Probably more to do with how easy it is to fly the F-5. Literally pick up and play like a pro immediately. Same with all aircraft here, F-86, MiG-15, they're all really easy to jump in and fly circles care free. I don't really want to get into the soup as to why that is but it's very apparent. Compared to the 21 which requires you to be on top of your game to avoid the pitfalls.

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I have both modules and enjoy them both, but I find the mig-21 is much more rewarding. My play style is very air-ground centric too. Though the F-5 can carry more munitions, I really don't end up doing more damage than in the Mig. I've spent hours and hours trying to nail down good bombing/rocket profiles with the mil settings and it's tough with the F-5.....at least attacking anything that can shoot back.

With the Mig, as long as you smartly pick your loadout, you can still be effective with a relatively small payload. The radar assisted CCIP point helps out a lot. The 32 rocket pods will give you 8 passes if you select a salvo of 4, and 4 is enough for any vehicles except tanks. The S-24 rockets are very powerful also.

Air to air the mig has the R-3Rs, and I think the radar is easier to understand. The mig has more speed to bail out of trouble if need be and has better climb and acceleration, just inferior turning characteristics.

You have plenty of engine power to maintain your speed, use it :D. On final, fully lower the flaps and keep your speed above 300kmh, depending on weight. Don't try to land with too heavy plane, have max 700l of fuel if you don't have weapons and 500l if you have some missiles. Touchdown very gently, at 1m/s or less and don't cut your throttle below 65-70 % until you're on the ground.

Above all, practice :D. I struggled with the landing too, so I set up a mission with very little fuel, set it to unlimited and kept doing touch and goes at Minvody (nice and long runaway) until I figured it out. Forget about the autopilot until you're comfortable landing it yourself.

Here's one of my recent landings:

and much earlier one:

Ah, there's my other issue. I don't like to waste ordinance so I never eject what I didn't use and I usually have plenty of fuel left over. I wonder if that's my problem with the F-15C also. I keep damaging the landing gear on that one (if I can even get it to stop on the runway at all, that is :music_whistling: ). I usually come down at about 5m/s. That's a big problem too.

I typically use Batumi for my practice runs. Guess I should switch to Minvody for now until I get semi decent. :joystick:

Edited by kelpie

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

I'm surprised no one mentioned notorious MiG-21 DRM. Its DRM like from another dimension of DCS, see Leathernek forum. But if you think you can live with that then by all means get the MiG.

Good luck

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I have both modules and enjoy them both, but I find the mig-21 is much more rewarding. My play style is very air-ground centric too. Though the F-5 can carry more munitions, I really don't end up doing more damage than in the Mig. I've spent hours and hours trying to nail down good bombing/rocket profiles with the mil settings and it's tough with the F-5.....at least attacking anything that can shoot back.

With the Mig, as long as you smartly pick your loadout, you can still be effective with a relatively small payload. The radar assisted CCIP point helps out a lot. The 32 rocket pods will give you 8 passes if you select a salvo of 4, and 4 is enough for any vehicles except tanks. The S-24 rockets are very powerful also.

Air to air the mig has the R-3Rs, and I think the radar is easier to understand. The mig has more speed to bail out of trouble if need be and has better climb and acceleration, just inferior turning characteristics.

this was one of maybe my first few times practicing lobbing stuff outside of A2G training

as you see i can get direct hits with the rockets. bombing not too bad either. not direct hits, but accurate enough for manual bombing. hell even FOr CCIP assisted bombing, the USAF F16 CCIP has a CP of error of within a 30m radius of a target.

so I consider more bombs a plus, If your less accurate then it leaves you with either more passes, or option just dump more ordinance within lesser passes which increases damage against vehicle and or likelihood of you hitting your target.

So i disagree. with practice you can also be relatively effective with the F5 in A2g more than the mig because of larger ordinance loadouts as well as longer station time. Cant say the F5 is less rewarding for Ground attack when it still takes practice with Manual bombing.

If you want 99.99% accuracy for the F5 requiring minimal practice then, you can always setup an AI jtac, or get buddy lasing for GBu12s from a friend flying an A10C

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 9 months later...

Get both if only for a single reason: no matter which one is your "primary", you need to master the other one in order to know best how to counter your potential ardversary.

After all that's the reason why you find Mig-29s in US Aggressor Squadrons even today.

My favourite era of military aviation is the Cold War era because of its perfect balance between technology and honest human ability.

Forget the F-35, F-22, Pak-fa..... over-reliance on technology makes people dumb (if you don't believe me, try once to remember all the telephone numbers of your family or to multiply 1970 × 1980 with your cellphone off).

So, even if you only fly in a simulatior (for that is technology useful) retain and refine your airmanship by flying models which force you to think and keep your situational awareness in your head and not in a chip.

Guess what is gonna happen as soon as they release the mirage F-1.... heheheheeee!