How to Land the Dora

wolle

I have a couple of questions:

When I take-off it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I hold back the stick when I start rolling. Theoretically holding back the stick should lock the tail wheel and keep the plane straight. I cannot detect any difference whether I hold the stick back or not, in both cases the plane yaws drastically as soon as I release the brake. When I look at it from F2 view, the tail wheel is initially straight. As soon as I start to roll, whether or not I hold the stick back, the plane yaws to the right, and the tail wheel rotates with it. The effect of holding the stick back seems to take effect only after a second or so. After a second or so, the tail wheel indeed locks, but at that point you are already off-course.

Has anyone tried crosswind take-offs (say 10 m/s). I can do those fine with the P51, but the Dora seems to be blown all over the place by the crosswind. Strangely it wants to weather vane with the wind, instead of into it (which I think is the usual response) Any tips?

During landing approach, as soon as you lower flaps and gear, the plane becomes extremely nose-heavy. I have to trim her all the way and in addition pull the stick back almost all the way just to keep a proper approach attitude. :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take-off it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I hold back the stick when I start rolling. Theoretically holding back the stick should lock the tail wheel and keep the plane straight. I cannot detect any difference whether I hold the stick back or not, in both cases the plane yaws drastically as soon as I release the brake. When I look at it from F2 view, the tail wheel is initially straight. As soon as I start to roll, whether or not I hold the stick back, the plane yaws to the right, and the tail wheel rotates with it. The effect of holding the stick back seems to take effect only after a second or so. After a second or so, the tail wheel indeed locks, but at that point you are already off-course.

Has anyone tried crosswind take-offs (say 10 m/s). I can do those fine with the P51, but the Dora seems to be blown all over the place by the crosswind. Strangely it wants to weather vane with the wind, instead of into it (which I think is the usual response) Any tips?

During landing approach, as soon as you lower flaps and gear, the plane becomes extremely nose-heavy. I have to trim her all the way and in addition pull the stick back almost all the way just to keep a proper approach attitude. :helpsmilie:

Give her full power insantly to start its not like slowly increase power in the pony.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

For me, Dora take offs tend to be tricky and very "random". Sometimes she will get airborne smoothly and sometimes I end up in a pile of burning rubble. I keep my tail wheel locked until 170 km/h accelerating at a constant 2500 rpm but a slight right rudder correction is always required. Not releasing the rudder on time however, just as the aircraft becomes airborne ends with a nasty instant roll to port side which is usually unrecoverable.. :(

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You may have already done this, but just double check your bindings in controls as I find every input device was controlling roll and pitch.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

For me, Dora take offs tend to be tricky and very "random". Sometimes she will get airborne smoothly and sometimes I end up in a pile of burning rubble. I keep my tail wheel locked until 170 km/h accelerating at a constant 2500 rpm but a slight right rudder correction is always required. Not releasing the rudder on time however, just as the aircraft becomes airborne ends with a nasty instant roll to port side which is usually unrecoverable.. :(

I got this as well, but she is right on the stall on the rotate and the lovely lady seems to snap to the left and down she goes. I've found taking the power up to full power at 170 and trimming slightly nose forward helps. Lots of small feet work with the rudders.

I've never flown a tail dragger in real life. A mate has a Yak55m and he reckons your not a real pilot until you've mastered one :)

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

You guys should bring her tail up at~150 km/h by release the stick to the middle.

With significant right rudder and a bit less significant right roll you should get her airborn.

Otherwise you will start into a stall.

And i say again give her full power.... no 2500 RPM schnikschnak.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

I made the mistake of treating the Dora like the P-51 before kind people here on the forum helped me. Instead of going easy on the throttle I slam it open while I hold the stick back and slightly right of center. As speed increase I gently let the stick slide back to center but still slightly to the right until the plane lifts off by itself.

Make sure you taxi forward on the runway a bit to make sure the tailwheel is straight before opening the throttle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

As with everything practice makes perfect. After wasting about 10% of the original production number of Dora's (650 ~ 700) I can manage to take-off and land now safely... most of the time =)

I can't imagine what a scary, adrenaline ridden experience the first flight in a FW-190 or BF-109 must have been for the real luftwaffe pilots! Things can go very wrong very fast!

I believe most of us tend to initially pull the stick all the way back and past 150-170 km/h.

This certainly calls for problems, because you stall it right at takeoff :-)

The correct procedure for me is:

1) just slightly pull the stick back when you apply takeoff power ( which should show 3200 RPM )

2) center joystick in pitch around 150 km/h, and at the same time use rudder to stay in the rw - the tail will rise so, further right rudder will be necessary!

3) apply a bit of right aileron just before getting airborne

I have to test with different x-wind settings now, and will report my findings.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

The Dora made me a better Pony pilot

I am about 0-40 in takeoff attempts. At first I thought it was the Hotas-X with the rudders mapped to the twist grip. I thought once I got home to the WartHog and true pedals, I would be successful. Nope. Still suck. Almost got airborne once, may have been centrifugal force more than lift, lol. I withdrew to the P-51 and took off without incident, and managed to land it without turning it into scrap metal. Wow, crazy. I will keep trying with the Dora, love the -190, but gonna take lots of practice

with the p51, out of a habit, i tend to keep my stick pulled back until ~70mph are reached...with the dora i found, it takes off really nice with the stick in center position until rotating speed, and only then pull gently on the stick...

rudder is sufficient for take off, but needs some more input than the p51 it seems.but as soon as you notice that, it behaves what you would expect...

slightly right stick position helps as well...

ill have yet to see how she's behaving in wind conditions.

btw when speaking about landings, anybody tried the AFN-2 homing indicator yet?is it working?

Give her full power insantly to start its not like slowly increase power in the pony.

I do this already, both for the P51 and the Dora. Hold wheel brakes, increase to as much RPM as the wheel brakes can take. Then release them, and increase throttle to full RPM smoothly but quickly (within a fraction of a second).

My questions were not so much that I can't take off in the Dora (I can), but I think there are still problems with the flight model, when it comes to tail wheel locking and cross wind aerodynamic behavior when taking off (try taking off with 10 m/s crosswind and you'll see what I mean). I have to give it full aileron into the wind, full throttle, full rudder, full toe brakes just to keep her aligned, and even then it's a wobbly dance at best.

I am also doubtful that the landings should require so much pull on the flight stick in addition to full elevator trim. Would be nice to know whether these things are still work in progress, or if the Dora really behaved like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

• ED Team
I do this already, both for the P51 and the Dora. Hold wheel brakes, increase to as much RPM as the wheel brakes can take. Then release them, and increase throttle to full RPM smoothly but quickly (within a fraction of a second).

My questions were not so much that I can't take off in the Dora (I can), but I think there are still problems with the flight model, when it comes to tail wheel locking and cross wind aerodynamic behavior when taking off (try taking off with 10 m/s crosswind and you'll see what I mean). I have to give it full aileron into the wind, full throttle, full rudder, full toe brakes just to keep her aligned, and even then it's a wobbly dance at best.

I am also doubtful that the landings should require so much pull on the flight stick in addition to full elevator trim. Would be nice to know whether these things are still work in progress, or if the Dora really behaved like that.

If you are in doubt what is the reason of your takeoff problems - turn on 100% TO assistance. Then apply rudder slowly only maintaining general direction of rolling. If it helps - the reason is not in FM.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

If you are in doubt what is the reason of your takeoff problems - turn on 100% TO assistance. Then apply rudder slowly only maintaining general direction of rolling. If it helps - the reason is not in FM.

Well Yo-Yo, actually for me, turning OFF takeoff assist made things a lot more manageable / plausible.

I can perfectly takeoff and land the Dora, but it was more difficult / unplausible? when I had Takeoff Assist at 100% and wasn't aware of that...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
Well Yo-Yo, actually for me, turning OFF takeoff assist made things a lot more manageable / plausible.

I can perfectly takeoff and land the Dora, but it was more difficult / unplausible? when I had Takeoff Assist at 100% and wasn't aware of that...

I guess your fighting was dramatic... :D

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I hope take off assist isn't the default setting but it might explain a few things if it is.....

Take off assist is set to 100% by default.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I hope take off assist isn't the default setting but it might explain a few things if it is.....

Yes it is, or at least was set to 100% on my install. P-51 was still turned off but Dora was set at 100%.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I, too, was under the impression, that taking off without TO assstance was ... "easier". I am still very much learning and my experiences are by no means objective and I turned off the TO assistance at a time where I was rather frustrated - bordering to being hectic when trying to get her off the ground ... so ...

But ... but what if the slider "takeoff assistance" is in fact reversed? Or labled wrongly? What if "100%" means in reality "no assistance" and "0%" means "full assistance"? :o)

Yes it is, or at least was set to 100% on my install. P-51 was still turned off but Dora was set at 100%.

I noticed that finally, and put it at zero. Managed to get airborne twice, won't win any praise from the Staffel Kapitan, or the tower. Or the safety offizer, but I got it up (no pun intended)

I never realized I had takeoff assist on with the Mustang till a couple of weeks ago when I got on the DoW server. I'd never had used it if I'd known it was on and I have a harder time taking off the Mustang than the Dora. I've pretty much got the Dora perfected and can get the Mustang in the air now.

But ... but what if the slider "takeoff assistance" is in fact reversed? Or labled wrongly? What if "100%" means in reality "no assistance" and "0%" means "full assistance"? :o)

Well, turning off the assist made a world of difference, I have no idea why.

I know my skills didn't suddenly become Jedi-like.

Went 4 for 5 after turning it off, the 1 bad was the first attempt as the plane didn't act like I was expecting from before.

Makes me wonder about what Flagrum said.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Well, turning off the assist made a world of difference, I have no idea why.

Probably you were fighting against what the computer was trying to assist you with and it was making a mess of things overall? With it off all the inputs are from you alone so you're in full control.