Advice on engine management in dogfight?

As long as you don't go below minimum rpm for given boost level. High RPM does not cause the overheat itself, the high power output combined with low speed does. The engine is rated for full boost only at 3000RPM. That big engine was put there for combat use, not to shorten the takeoff run, so use it accordingly.

Similar thing was discussed already here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180324

Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean I can blow out my engine more quickly in combat if I don't push it to max RPM when Im making throttle changes in combat? Im not sure what Im doing wrong but so far I've found that engine management in combat is the hardest part of flying the Spitfire, even harder than than the ground handling.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean I can blow out my engine more quickly in combat if I don't push it to max RPM when Im making throttle changes in combat? Im not sure what Im doing wrong but so far I've found that engine management in combat is the hardest part of flying the Spitfire, even harder than than the ground handling.

The simplest "practical" solution (if you want to ignore the mechanics of what is going on in the engine) is simply to set for 2700 to 2850 RPM and leave it there, with the radiator on "auto". You'll have enough fly-time on any current server with those settings. You can then vart boost from -4 up to 18lb without fear of engine failure.

You might not get the best-possible performance at all altitudes, airspeeds and attitudes with this, but it will proved reasonalby good performance with low-risk to the engine.

If you're just wanting to get some flight time in, and engage in combat without high risk to the engine, this is a suitable option, I would suggest.

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Basically, there are two aspects:

First, just like a piston engine in your car, an aeroplane engine produces maximum power at certain RPM, usually highest. So if you run the engine at lower RPM, even if you firewall the throttle, you're not getting the maximum possible power output. Of course this also means that you are not producing as much heat, so this may be a good thing that simplifies engine management, but you're at disadvantage when you fight with someone that is able to use the full engine power.

Second, with those heavily overboosted engines that can put a lot of pressure in the combustion chamber, you risk damaging the engine if you lower the RPM too much at high power output, as you put too much torque on the cranckshaft and governor. But I don't think it's modelled in DCS anyway. It's more a wear factor than the cause of immediate engine failure. But that's why aircraft manuals usually outline which power settings are allowed at given RPM.

Can't comment how it works in DCS spitfire as I didn't run much tests. Usually it's not RPM that causes the engine to overheat, but the prolonged use of high boost combined with low airflow over the radiators. While you can force open the main radiators in the Spit, you can't control the oil cooler and I noticed oil temp can climb very quickly at low speeds.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I understand the theory, however it seems that no matter how much I baby the engine in the fight Im getting consistent engine blowouts.

Which is why I feel Im doing something wrong in the practical aspect of trying to cool down the engine that is making the problem worse.

Ok let me describe what Im doing and maybe someone can point out any obvious errors. In essence Im flying with the Spit in exactly the same way as the Stang (at least with regards to engine management) which is what Im used to. I set the RPM to about 2800-2900 and leave it there. When engaged I play with my throttle, push it up in turns and when going vertical, pulling it back in dives to ease the load on the engine and help with the cooling. With that said Im careful not to push it to MAX for more than 3-4 seconds when going up, also I never pull it fully back either in dives.

So far I have not managed to finish the 2v2 instant action fight, without blowing out my engine or starting to smoke. I think I tried it about 4-5 times yesterday.

I won't even bother to go online until I can at least achieve that. With that said if those AI had a proper damage model I think it would be a different story, those AI Doras are flying tanks. Still it's not so much about the fight as it is about engine management and I would like to develop the chops so I can last in a prolonged dogfight with a human opponent too.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Ok let me describe what Im doing and maybe someone can point out any obvious errors. In essence Im flying with the Spit in exactly the same way as the Stang (at least with regards to engine management) which is what Im used to. I set the RPM to about 2800-2900 and leave it there. When engaged I play with my throttle, push it up in turns and when going vertical, pulling it back in dives to ease the load on the engine and help with the cooling.

Flying the Spit like the Stang is the most obvious error to me :P

But pushing the throttle as you go vertical and throttling back when diving is the opposite of what you should be doing. At least in DCS, the Spit can be killed by few seconds of "hanging on the prop" at high power. Can't comment if that's realistic or just the way it is in the beta.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I think you have just pointed out your issues you cannot climb with full power for too long in a dogfight as invariably at some point you will lose speed and going below 180mph at full boost will blow your engine. Try and get into the habit of lowering power during extended climbs? Also you need to keep an eye on altitude if the supercharger kicks in that could over stress the engine as well.

With dives use more power the engine won't die with max power as the speed helps the cooling, the key is to keep the aircraft from going above 460mph max with gentle elevator inputs or your wings will shear off.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Flying the Spit like the Stang is the most obvious error to me :P

But pushing the throttle as you go vertical and throttling back when diving is the opposite of what you should be doing. At least in DCS, the Spit can be killed by few seconds of "hanging on the prop" at high power. Can't comment if that's realistic or just the way it is in the beta.

Thank you. Thats exactly what I needed to hear, glad it was something obvious I was doing wrong. No one ever says anything about that in any of the guides, manuals etc. and people wonder why their plane is exploding all by itself, then blame it on the plane. I blame the lack of proper documentation. :megalol:

Just a quick update. Managed to shoot down both AI Doras in the quick action 2v2 mission, without blowing out my engine, following everyone's advice here. The friendly AI Spit was quite useless though, except for keeping the one AI Dora busy while I dealt with his buddy, even so he got shot down just as I finished the first Dora. So thanks again people, will practice some more takeoffs and landings, just so I don't embarass myself when I try my luck online. :)

Just a quick update. Managed to shoot down both AI Doras in the quick action 2v2 mission, without blowing out my engine, following everyone's advice here. The friendly AI Spit was quite useless though, except for keeping the one AI Dora busy while I dealt with his buddy, even so he got shot down just as I finished the first Dora. So thanks again people, will practice some more takeoffs and landings, just so I don't embarass myself when I try my luck online. :)

Yes you have to cover him all the time or he dies :doh:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Just as a sidenote, almost instant-failure due to overboosting is modelled in a Mustang, though it happens only at certain RPM-to-MAP ratio at low altitudes. Looks like we're getting some pre-ignition/detonation simulated in DCS after all. Not even half a minute and the engine goes tits up. Haven't tried it the Spit though!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.