Fargo Express USAAF skin

TBear

SpitPresentazione.jpg

That's an "almost" historical skin (because the original is from a MK VIII).

Completely reworked camo pattern with colours matching IPMS historical references.

Spitfire "Fargo Express" Lt. Leland P. Molland 308th FS, 31th FG.

In January, 1944, 1st Lt. Leland P. "Tommy" Molland, a recent arrival to the 308th FS of the 31st FG, made the first two of his eventual five scores in the Spitfire VIII, in combat with Fw-190s over southern Italy. On February 6, Molland became an ace with his fifth kill in a fight in which his commanding officer, Maj. Virgil Fields was killed. Molland then took over command of the squadron.

On March 24, 1944, the 308th converted to P-51s which he flew while scoring the rest of the 10.5 victories he was credited with before the war ended.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/9b9/Fargo_express.rar

put it here :

\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\SpitfireLFMkIX

The only planes in the WWII units folder are the 109, and 190. No other planes there.

I'm not going to go to any trouble altering a bunch of stuff. I'll just not worry about it.

Very nice Livery though.

put it here :

\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\CoreMods\WWII Units\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\SpitfireLFMkIX

Seeing this is for the NTTR map, it should go here: \DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\ instead of here: \DCS World\

Try that, Zimmerdylan.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Don't do there if you are concerned about messing with your game configuration, go to C:\users\(your name)\saved games\liveries

There you need to create a new folder name; name it SpitfireLFMkIX (exactly like that) and then put the Fargo Express folder in there.

It won't mess with your DCS. (although I believe it won't either on the other directory)

Here are the full instructions on how to create an external liveries folder:

Creating a Single Universal Liveries Folder for All Installs - ED Forums

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Just a public safety announcement, please make sure you use something like JSGME to install ANY mods to the game so you don't run into any issues down the road.

Here's a link to a guide on JSGME: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Here's a guide to the alternative GME software: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171956

And don't forget to use one of the above pieces of software to disable all of your modifications before you update DCS so that they're not overwritten forcing you to redownload and reinstall all of them again.

Whichever you choose, make sure you always go with something like this instead of installing files directly into the game folders yourself, it will save you a lot of time and frustrations down the road.

That being said, excellent work TBear, looks great!!!

After trying it the way TBear, and Justificus explained with no success, and now seeing everyone else's instruction, I'll have to pass. Too much trouble.

Thanks anyway fellas. It's not that I cannot do it, it's that I just don't want to do it. I have had other flight sims where I had to make all kind of mods, add 3rd party stuff, and change default files, and it was a huge pain in the behind every time the sim updated, or when I would have to reinstall for some reason. Was just too much work for too little benefit. I have long since dumped most other sims and just kept DCS. It was at that point where I decided not to bother modding it too heavily. And it's all good. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. If I have to live without a pretty livery here or there.....I'm ok with that.

It's a very pretty livery by the way. :juggle:

You can also simply use this method to create a liveries folder, into which you only have to install a skin once, and don't have to uninstall and reinstall it through JSGME or OvGME at every update: Creating a Single Universal Liveries Folder for All Installs

It also allows you to use a single liveries folder for multiple installations, 1.5 GA, 1.5 Beta, and 2.0 Alpha.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

After trying it the way TBear, and Justificus explained with no success, and now seeing everyone else's instruction, I'll have to pass. Too much trouble.

I agree that this whole livery thing could be handled by DCS in such a way to be easier to use ... but even so, I find that it adds so much to the game immersion, that I can put a little effort to use them.

What I do is to put all the user created liveries on my "Saved Games" folder; so they are separate from ED's folder, are not affected by DCS updates or reinstallations and need no Mods to work ... for example these are for the spitfire:

Spit_liveries.png

(Actually the path above reflects the use of the Universal Liveries Folder Mod; for a vanilla DCS the proper path is Saved Games\DCS World\Liveries :) )

It's not mandatory, but I like to rename the downloaded liveries so that the Country they represent is first and the authors Nickname is last; this way on the Mission Editor its easy to find a livery for a certain country, and if the author updates their skin I can quickly find the ones that need updating.

For example, this is how they are listed on the Mission Editor for the case of a USA Spitfire:

Spit_USA.jpg

for Italy and Norway I have just a single skin:

Spit_Ita.jpg

Spit_Nor.jpg

Here, in the case of UK you can see how the editor smoothly merges DCS's default skins (those that start with 'RAF') and those from my Saved Games folder, without using any Mods:

Spit_UK.jpg

Give it another try, believe me, its worth the hassle :D

Cheers!

Edit: By the way ... thanks a lot to TBear and to all livery creators; I've tried to make my own skins and its indeed a lot of work and hours with photoshop editing textures; I'm grateful to them for enhancing this hobby of ours :)

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB