DCS: World on Steam

Slazi

yea one thing i don't like about the steam version is now runways on multiplayer servers are almost useless... taxyways covered with dozens of wrecks, crater holes all over the runway making it impossible to take off...

lately the two most used phrases online are "how do i start this thing?" and "go offline and do the tutorials"

I just hope this means we get some more serious players, not a bunch of ADD guys that just want instantaneous gratification and want to do stuff NOW....

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this was already posted, but I couldn't find it.

I have some friends that plays A-10C on Steam and I have been playing with them using the free SU-25t (Which is awesome btw).

So I was thinking on buying Flamming Cliffs 3, which I understand that must be played in DCS Standalone. So if I create a server on DCS Standalone, will them be able to join my server using DCS from Steam (and vice versa)?

Sorry for my bad english.

yes, the aircraft from FC3 are integrated into DCSW, they will be able to see everyone regardless of owning the module.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

yea one thing i don't like about the steam version is now runways on multiplayer servers are almost useless... taxyways covered with dozens of wrecks, crater holes all over the runway making it impossible to take off...

lately the two most used phrases online are "how do i start this thing?" and "go offline and do the tutorials"

I just hope this means we get some more serious players, not a bunch of ADD guys that just want instantaneous gratification and want to do stuff NOW....

I don't think that you've been around that long, some I'll let you in on a little secret. This has happened every single time that a new major release comes out. It happened with FC, FC 1.2, FC2, FC3, BS1, A-10C, and now, the Steam release of DCS world.

Fear not, however, as this hysteria will soon die down. People that play this game for instant gratification won't enjoy it. Even the "airquake" servers take at least a substantial amount of time to get airborne and do something. Adding to the fact that people who won't take the time to learn the basics will either:

A. Get shot down upon reaching a target.

or

B. Never reach the target because of their navigation incompetence.

Give it a month, you will see that it will return to pretty much the status quo. Except that the community size will have increased significantly due to Steam DCSW integration. Also remember that the Su-25T is free. So there should be a steady influx of new people who are waiting to buy a full fledged module (and or FCS) so that they can play online.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Sorry if this was already posted, but I couldn't find it.

I have some friends that plays A-10C on Steam and I have been playing with them using the free SU-25t (Which is awesome btw).

So I was thinking on buying Flamming Cliffs 3, which I understand that must be played in DCS Standalone. So if I create a server on DCS Standalone, will them be able to join my server using DCS from Steam (and vice versa)?

Sorry for my bad english.

To clarify on Skate's remark:

DCS World is a core for integration of many modules (you may be more familiar with the idea of DLC for a game). These modules, such as the A-10C, UH-1H, P-51D, Ka-50 BS2, and FC3 "plug-in" to the DCS World core. This ensures that all modules are kept compatible with each other. As long as you are logged into the DCS World server browser, you should be able to make a mission with any given assortment of player controllable aircraft, regardless of whether or not you own them. Upon hosting the mission, any player can hop into these aircraft slots and fly whatever is on that particular mission. You will be able to see them, and interact with all of the different modules even if you only own one of them.

This however, is very different from how the original releases of A-10C and Black Shark handled it. Previously, you needed particular versions of either aircraft that may or may not be compatible with each other depending on the patch number. If you still have these outdated standalone versions installed (A-10C 1.1.1.1), you will need to update to the DCS World core structure with the A-10C/Black Shark/FC3 modules before online compatibility can be guaranteed.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

hmm i've been playing DCS since blackshark 1, but now mostly i play blackshark 2 and A-10C online so yea i realize its just because its new.

like a new sandwich at subway, it gets a huge influx of people trying it for the first few weeks, cause they haven't had one before, after that its just the people that actually like it still ordering it...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam sucks! Won't update Cliffs of Dover. Any game you get on Steam will become obsolete because Steam don't up date on a consistent basis.

steam updates the content when the updates are given to them. IL-2 and most ubisoft games just give up on updating and pass it off to the "community" or 3rd party groups like team dalios in IL21946 and TEAM FUSION in Cliffs of Dover. all of Which are used to manually patching. And they do not talk to steam because they are 3rd party. Steam see's it as me taking you car to a body shop and saying, " He knows what I'm doing and he's ok with it, just paint it pink" granted you may like your car pink, but steam has no way of validating 3rd party groups like that.

I love steam. at first I thought it would never last, but now that I've had it for a while, I love it and you can see why its not going anywhere anytime soon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: :joystick: :pilotfly:

AMD FX8350 8 core @ Stock Clock

G. Skill X Series 32GB (4x 8GB) @ 2200Mhz OC

GTX 1070 8GB

Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler

To clarify on Skate's remark:

DCS World is a core for integration of many modules (you may be more familiar with the idea of DLC for a game). These modules, such as the A-10C, UH-1H, P-51D, Ka-50 BS2, and FC3 "plug-in" to the DCS World core. This ensures that all modules are kept compatible with each other. As long as you are logged into the DCS World server browser, you should be able to make a mission with any given assortment of player controllable aircraft, regardless of whether or not you own them. Upon hosting the mission, any player can hop into these aircraft slots and fly whatever is on that particular mission. You will be able to see them, and interact with all of the different modules even if you only own one of them.

This however, is very different from how the original releases of A-10C and Black Shark handled it. Previously, you needed particular versions of either aircraft that may or may not be compatible with each other depending on the patch number. If you still have these outdated standalone versions installed (A-10C 1.1.1.1), you will need to update to the DCS World core structure with the A-10C/Black Shark/FC3 modules before online compatibility can be guaranteed.

Thanks a lot for the information. But my question was a bit different. My friends enter the game via Steam DCS World... and in this version, the Flaming Cliffs 3 module does not show up at the left bottom of the menu.

Now, If I own Flaming Cliffs 3, I will need to enter DCS World by the executable downloaded outside Steam.

So my question is: If I join this version outside Steam, will my friends using the Steam DCS World version will be able to play with me?

I am almost certain it's a yes but I was just curious.

Sorry for the confusion.

I believe the basic answer is yes. A player running the Steam version should be able to play on a server running the ED version regardless which modules are involved.

The only caveat is that both player and server must be running the same exact version (release) number. If Steam updates are current with ED's updates, then all should be well.

EDIT: This is easily tested without anyone spending money. A Steam player can fly the free Su-25T on your non-Steam server, by just downloading DCS World from Steam, before actually buying any modules.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

just put all of the su-25t's on a different airport :P

Sponsored by: http://www.ozpc.com.au

I believe the basic answer is yes. A player running the Steam version should be able to play on a server running the ED version regardless which modules are involved.

The only caveat is that both player and server must be running the same exact version (release) number. If Steam updates are current with ED's updates, then all should be well.

EDIT: This is easily tested without anyone spending money. A Steam player can fly the free Su-25T on your non-Steam server, by just downloading DCS World from Steam, before actually buying any modules.

Yes, along it's the same version it should work fine.

Just tested and it works.

Sometimes I get a bit stupid about little details.

Yes, along it's the same version it should work fine.

Just tested and it works.

Sometimes I get a bit stupid about little details.

It never hurts to ask. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Did anyone noticed how funny the topic title sounds? :D (I didn't read all the posts... soorry :) )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Hello,

One question, if I load my missions in Steam Workshop, and after a while takes money Steam users to download it, what good is carried ED for using their DCS mission editor? What benefit I can I bring myself?. Do missions and campaigns that upload users remain free as the page of DCS?

Thank you.

Pd. I have read the agreement Steam Workshop, but I would like to know the position of DCS.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1835293&postcount=1

So I am about to buy the A10C.....already have the KA-50 BS2 and DCS world all non-steam. What is the best way to get the A-10C? Use Steam or ED site to purchase?

Thanks,

Gene

Also,

It would be nice to have a fact sheet or Q/A page to address these questions people have fro ED regarding these legitimate concerns. I have delayed my purchase until I am confident on the best route to take. I do plan on being a strong supported of DCS products in the future and love the direction ED has taken with World. Just feel a bit unsure on with the issues integrating non-steam purchased products with steam ones given DCS World requires uniform versions numbers of all products to enjoy what World offers.

A-10C, MI-8, UH-1, KA-50, F-86, P-51, FC-3, MIG-21

i got one question about DCS and steam...

i feel no need to migrate my DCS modules to steam at all, but what would be of benefit i think is, that my sim friends see when im playing dcs.so today i added dcs as a non-steam game to my steam library.

now the question: will now my steam-friends see, when im playing DCS?

i ask mainly, because when im in the steam library, and click on for example on cliffs of dover, i still see a list of my steam friends who are online currently.as soon as i click on the dcs button, the list disappears and i only see a text message with a big headline:

NON-STEAM MOD OR SHORTCUT

in short, as soon as i click on the dcs shortcut, i dont see my steam friends anymore.will they still see me?

i got one question about DCS and steam...

i feel no need to migrate my DCS modules to steam at all, but what would be of benefit i think is, that my sim friends see when im playing dcs.so today i added dcs as a non-steam game to my steam library.

now the question: will now my steam-friends see, when im playing DCS?

i ask mainly, because when im in the steam library, and click on for example on cliffs of dover, i still see a list of my steam friends who are online currently.as soon as i click on the dcs button, the list disappears and i only see a text message with a big headline:

NON-STEAM MOD OR SHORTCUT

in short, as soon as i click on the dcs shortcut, i dont see my steam friends anymore.will they still see me?

What your friends will see is that you are playing a non-steam game not what game you are playing.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam ID: Jetkar

Steam Group: 223rd CAS

Join and fly with us on the 223rd CAS Dedicated server

I have noticed that the Steam launcher and DCS World Launcher is not very well integrated as you not able to achieve full accessibility of steam while playing the game as what happens when you launch the game to play from steam it launches the DCS worlds launcher ands then when you select the module (eg A10C) and you selected the mission it closes both the Steam launcher (that should be running in background) and DCS World launcher then runs the module.

What should happen which doesn't the Steam application should be running behind DCS world launcher and the selected unit Mission module till the player has exited DCS world launcher completely when finished playing the simulation.

This needs to be addressed in order to bring more functionality for awards, achievement, workshop, posting screenshots and etc through steam

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam ID: Jetkar

Steam Group: 223rd CAS

Join and fly with us on the 223rd CAS Dedicated server

So I am about to buy the A10C.....already have the KA-50 BS2 and DCS world all non-steam. What is the best way to get the A-10C? Use Steam or ED site to purchase?

Thanks,

Gene

Also,

It would be nice to have a fact sheet or Q/A page to address these questions people have fro ED regarding these legitimate concerns. I have delayed my purchase until I am confident on the best route to take. I do plan on being a strong supported of DCS products in the future and love the direction ED has taken with World. Just feel a bit unsure on with the issues integrating non-steam purchased products with steam ones given DCS World requires uniform versions numbers of all products to enjoy what World offers.

My personal opinion is that the normal way is the only way to go. Leave steam for what it is.

ED webshop in general works very well and easy, and the installation of modules is usually flawless.

Updating whit the auto-updater is also very easy.

No need to complicate things by adding an extra unnecessary software layer in an pretty wrap that displays ads to you for services they provide, although you already had them in another form and you already paid for said services when buying the games you have on steam.

Just my 0.02$, as you can see, i'm a huge Steam fanboy:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Thanks,

Gene

IF you have the A-10C and BS2 from ED then stay with ED and don't get them on steam Cos it will complicate things.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Don't get me wrong I love steam and use it all the time but...

Having Modules from to different places will complicate things, or until ED/Steam sort it out [still in the teething stage].

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45