Instruments, MFD's, warning lights etc.. on LCD screen

-Bazong-

Hi all!!

I've been pondering to build a general russian-style fighter pit, for use with DCS mostly.. (just started on some blueprints, will post them when I've made some progress)..

I'm hoping to be able to use one large 22" or 24" widescreen to show instruments, warning lights and MFD's. Then as the DCS series goes on I thought I'd make overlays for my favourite aircrafts with holes, rotaries etc appropriate to the aircrafts instrumentation.

I'm also thinking I'll have 10" or 12" touchscreen (in addition to lots of switches) to make it flexible enough for many different aircraft..

So to the questions: Is it possible to view the Abris and Schkval AND instruments like simmeters or similar on the same screen (or should I split it up into 3 smaller screens)? And how would one go about it? Should I use a different pc for this screen?

Also, the "cockpit-tool program" (forgot what it's called) that ED is supposed to release.. Has anyone a clue on whether they plan on implementing instruments, MFD's and warninglights that I can arrange as I whish?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are off course more than welcome!!! :D

I've also gotten alot of inspiration from all you other guys projects!! Lots of impressive stuff!!

Edited by -Bazong-

Hi all!!

I've been pondering to build a general russian-style fighter pit, for use with DCS mostly.. (just started on some blueprints, will post them when I've made some progress)..

I'm hoping to be able to use one large 22" or 24" widescreen to show instruments, warning lights and MFD's. Then as the DCS series goes on I thought I'd make overlays for my favourite aircrafts with holes, rotaries etc appropriate to the aircrafts instrumentation.

I'm also thinking I'll have 10" or 12" touchscreen (in addition to lots of switches) to make it flexible enough for many different aircraft..

So to the questions: Is it possible to view the Abris and Schkval AND instruments like simmeters or similar on the same screen (or should I split it up into 3 smaller screens)? And how would one go about it? Should I use a different pc for this screen?

Also, the "cockpit-tool program" (forgot what it's called) that ED is supposed to release.. Has anyone a clue on whether they plan on implementing instruments, MFD's and warninglights that I can arrange as I whish?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are off course more than welcome!!! :D

I've also gotten alot of inspiration from all you other guys projects!! Lots of impressive stuff!!

DCS is supposed to put out the PCIP (Peripheral Control Interface Program) for pit builders.

From what I have gotten so far from the DCS forum here, the PCIP will allow the pit builders to be able to utilize data from instruments and associated lights (LED's) inside the simulation to be mapped to external USB boards that can run servo's and LED's.

Not sure when the PCIP will come out though...

DCS is supposed to put out the PCIP (Peripheral Control Interface Program) for pit builders.

From what I have gotten so far from the DCS forum here, the PCIP will allow the pit builders to be able to utilize data from instruments and associated lights (LED's) inside the simulation to be mapped to external USB boards that can run servo's and LED's.

Not sure when the PCIP will come out though...

Interesting!! That's more than I knew about the PCIP, I hope they release it soon..

I have no intention of using mechanical instruments though, so it would be very nice I thinks if the PCIP could also draw instruments on a screen..

Even if the PCIP won't be able to do that, I might be able to use the data to feed som other app that draws the instruments..(?)

I think as long as you can have the data for what you want to do virtual panels should be possible (in theory at least). I'd like to do the same thing so I'm right with you in wanting to learn how.

Sweet!! I had a feeling there were more than me wanting to do this, seams the only reasonable way for a cockpit suitable for many different aircraft..

I've just started looking, but the simmeters workspace 2.0 program and their instrument packs looked interesting (they claim they´re compatible with Lockon, IL-2 and others.. seams it's popular for glider sims running Condor).

But I've read they are'nt in business any longer :/

Yeah not sure about simmeters, but one thing I do know is someone else out there is trying the same thing as us and will figure out all the hard stuff for us! Makes it easier for a noob like me!

Wise words!! :)

Another thing comes to mind, how does it feel using a cockpit with gauges and all with TrackIR?

If one deactivates the virtual cockpit in game, would it be hard to know which way I'm looking? Are external parts of the aircraft that are visible from the cockpit (such as the stub-wings in the case of the KA-50) visible if the virtual cockpit is deactivated?

I've only had the fortune to try a sim-with-cockpit with a big great dome around it (that was obviously very cool), so I'm curious as to how it'd feel with a large screen and trackIR..