F-14 February Mini-Update

Cobra847

Standing ready with cash in hand!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too ... just give us the prize

Intel® i9 9900K Coffee Lake OC 5.1GHz, ASUS ROG Maximum Formula LGA1151 MB, Windows 10® 64bit Pro, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti OC GPU, 2 x Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB Drives, 1 x Samsung Evo 860 2TB SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD, 1 x Acer™ Predator 35" 4K Wide Flat Monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Oculus Rift S

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read that the "B" can carry JDAMS....that will be freaking awesome!

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I'm curious how many will stop playing the F/A-18 once the F-14 comes out, if it does come out after.

Maybe its just in my small niche of friends but the F-14 seems to be more wanted and a better all around plane (in this sim) now that we see it can carry some A2G ordinance. It can carry it farther, faster, and with more fuel for hanging around than the Hornet. The only leg up I see with the Hornet (again in this sim), seems to be the upgraded flight and electronics.

F-14 is without a doubt a day once buy whenever I can throw my money to you guys. The Hornet, don't know if I will even get it, unless it was released 5 years before the F-14.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

I'm curious how many will stop playing the F/A-18 once the F-14 comes out, if it does come out after.

That's certainly going to be a tough choice.

While I used to be a huge F-14 fan after Top Gun and Final Countdown, I came to like the F/A-18 for its designed multi role capabilities.

In terms of gameplay, not knowing how the Jester AI will work, I'm potentially leaning more towards the F/A-18 as a single seat fighter. Plus, C-model Hornets (and comparable airframes) are still in active use with several countries, whereas Iran is the only country upholding the Tomcat. In this regard, flying missions with the Hornet is probably going to feel a little bit more current.

After the previous releases, I'd say it's going to be a hard race between these two aircraft as far as my attention is concerned, and I already feel that I'm probably going to treat the A-10 very badly after either of these goes into early access. :D

I know that I will fly the heck out of both of these awesome jets!

I am a huge huge fan of the Turkey and love it but I also like dropping bombs and shooting rockets. I think i will have no issue picking up one, one day and another, another day just kinda depends on what you feel like! I am also super super pumped about the F-4E Phantom II as well and cant wait till the day im sitting on my home cockpit having an internal struggle over whether I should launch in a F-14 over the Black Sea, take off in a USMC Hornet over Nevada or patrol the Gulf and harass oil tankers in a IRIAF F-4E!

I think once the F/A-18 and F-14 are released it will totally revitalize and attract many more DCS players to multiplayer i think there will be many DCS players who enjoy both the Tomcat and Hornet! I can see future persian gulf servers being populated by lots of Harriers, Cats and Bugs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

That's certainly going to be a tough choice.

While I used to be a huge F-14 fan after Top Gun and Final Countdown, I came to like the F/A-18 for its designed multi role capabilities.

In terms of gameplay, not knowing how the Jester AI will work, I'm potentially leaning more towards the F/A-18 as a single seat fighter. Plus, C-model Hornets (and comparable airframes) are still in active use with several countries, whereas Iran is the only country upholding the Tomcat. In this regard, flying missions with the Hornet is probably going to feel a little bit more current.

After the previous releases, I'd say it's going to be a hard race between these two aircraft as far as my attention is concerned, and I already feel that I'm probably going to treat the A-10 very badly after either of these goes into early access. :D

I was thinking about the same yesterday. I hope that it’ll be a little equal though I know that there a lot of people preferring the Hornet because of it’s multi role capability. For me it’s just a personal thing. I’ve always wanted to fly the Tomcat virtually and this just comes as close as you can possibly have it, that’s why I prefer it over the Hornet. But I’d love to see combined missions of F-14s and F/A-18s striking together.

DCS F-14 Tomcat Alley Discord Server:

I thought the only difference between the A and B are the engines?

That depends on the timeframe, but I mean, if they're making the LTS-pod capable B, at the very minimum there's the pod itself to be made, the new display (?), the LTS control box with the controller stick, various A2G weapons that need to be supported, etc.

Not sure how correct this list is:

"The F-14B is either a remanufactured F-14A or new production aircraft, both equipped with F110-GE-400 engines, which replaced the TF30-P-414A engines. The F110-GE-400 is a new design which emphasizes reliability, maintainability, and operability. The new high technology engine improves capability and maneuverability without throttle restrictions or engine trimming. Sixty-seven F-14B Aircraft are being modified to extend the service life of the airframes and improve the offensive and defensive posture of the platform. This includes the F110-GE-400 engine, Fatigue Engine Monitoring System, AN/ALR-67 Countermeasure Warning and Control System, Gun Gas Purge Door Engineering Change Proposal (ECP), Direct Lift Control/Approach Power Compensator ECP, AN/AWG-15F ECP, and Engine Door Tension Fittings ECP. In addition, the AN/ASN-92 Carrier Aircraft Inertial Navigation System (CAINS) I will be replaced with the Embedded GPS Inertial (EGI) Navigation System. The F-14B Upgrade includes a MIL-STD-1553B Digital Multiplex Data Bus (DMDB), Programmable Multi-Display Indicator Group (PMDIG), PTID, the AN/AWG-15H Fire Control System, AN/ALR-67D(V)2 Radar Warning Receiver, EGI, and Mission Data Loader. Other survivability improvements were developed under the F-14 Airframe Change Number 828, Multi-Mission Capability Upgrade. The modified F-14B Aircraft is referred to as the F-14B Upgrade; modifications will be completed in FY01."

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

That depends on the timeframe, but I mean, if they're making the LTS-pod capable B, at the very minimum there's the pod itself to be made, the new display (?), the LTS control box with the controller stick, various A2G weapons that need to be supported, etc.

Not sure how correct this list is:

"The F-14B is either a remanufactured F-14A or new production aircraft, both equipped with F110-GE-400 engines, which replaced the TF30-P-414A engines. The F110-GE-400 is a new design which emphasizes reliability, maintainability, and operability. The new high technology engine improves capability and maneuverability without throttle restrictions or engine trimming. Sixty-seven F-14B Aircraft are being modified to extend the service life of the airframes and improve the offensive and defensive posture of the platform. This includes the F110-GE-400 engine, Fatigue Engine Monitoring System, AN/ALR-67 Countermeasure Warning and Control System, Gun Gas Purge Door Engineering Change Proposal (ECP), Direct Lift Control/Approach Power Compensator ECP, AN/AWG-15F ECP, and Engine Door Tension Fittings ECP. In addition, the AN/ASN-92 Carrier Aircraft Inertial Navigation System (CAINS) I will be replaced with the Embedded GPS Inertial (EGI) Navigation System. The F-14B Upgrade includes a MIL-STD-1553B Digital Multiplex Data Bus (DMDB), Programmable Multi-Display Indicator Group (PMDIG), PTID, the AN/AWG-15H Fire Control System, AN/ALR-67D(V)2 Radar Warning Receiver, EGI, and Mission Data Loader. Other survivability improvements were developed under the F-14 Airframe Change Number 828, Multi-Mission Capability Upgrade. The modified F-14B Aircraft is referred to as the F-14B Upgrade; modifications will be completed in FY01."

What I meant is, that the F-14A has the same capabilities as the B regarding PGMs. The A-variant flew in Afghanistan where it dropped GBUs during CAS missions in the early 2000s.

attachment.php?attachmentid=178885&d=1518436567

attachment.php?attachmentid=178886&d=1518437015

Screenshot_2018-02-12-12-54-03.thumb.png.70710503b9c32f71d9c41ed0bcce8799.png

20180212_130145.thumb.png.9647d1ee3eb30a88da4c249f8c9cba15.png

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Out of curiosity did the F-14b with its F110-GE-400 engines have that same distinctive engine whine, (thinking top gun now). Or was it a completely different sound. I did ask Cobra the question about if the module will mimic that classic Tomcat whine and he said that it will. But of course he may well of been referring to the 'A' model.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Out of curiosity did the F-14b with its F110-GE-400 engines have that same distinctive engine whine, (thinking top gun now). Or was it a completely different sound. I did ask Cobra the question about if the module will mimic that classic Tomcat whine and he said that it will. But of course he may well of been referring to the 'A' model.

No, the GE's totally changed the engine tone from the PW's.

The PWs were a lot more shrill and piercing to my ears than the GEs, especially when facing the suck end.

Not that it will make much gameplay difference, but I wonder if there will be an option to remove the refueling probe door. The door was flimsy and could get knocked off, especially when tanking from the KC-135 "Iron maiden." It would go right down the right intake and FOD the engine, so it was often removed for long missions.

Edited by Swordsman422

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

What I meant is, that the F-14A has the same capabilities as the B regarding PGMs. The A-variant flew in Afghanistan where it dropped GBUs during CAS missions in the early 2000s.

I simply doubt that new upgrades were never made to A models after the A+ or Bs were introduced. Planes still went in for maintenance level services where they were stripped down to the bones and rebuilt with any new upgrades added at those times.

I am more curious about the story I read concerning the old engines. "Through extensive in-service engineering analysis, the Navy installed a low cost, but very effective means of alerting aircrew of impending catastrophic TF30 engine failure. This cockpit warning light alerts the aircrew to a sudden rise in engine breather pressure [an indication of impending engine failure] in time to reduce engine power and safely land the aircraft. This new system greatly increases aircrew awareness and further contribute to safe F-14A operations." This was in an article on www.globalsecurity.org I believe.

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A's were upgraded up until they retired. In 99 the remaining A's, (14, 41, 211 and 154) were given the DFCS (digital flight control system) and a few other more minor upgrades (PTIDS, etc).

The A's never carried JDAM's, their weapons control computer wouldn't handle it. The JDAM was exclusive to the B's and D's.

In the mid 1980's the serious defects of the P&W TF30-P-412 were recognized. By the introduction of the F-14B, 83 F-14As had been lost to accidents, with a majority of those due to engine-related issues. The frequency of in-flight engine explosions was shockingly common. While F-14Bs and Ds got the new GE-F-110s, A-model Tomcats were fitted from some point with TF30-P-414A engines and measures that were better able to withstand and contain catastrophic blade separation. The problems of being underpowered and sensitive didn't go away but at least when an engine came apart, the airframe wasn't ripped up along with it. Engine issues continued to plague A-model Tomcats regardless of other upgrades. There is a terrifying story of a VF-154 F-14A having an engine flameout at night while plugging into a tanker. It wasn't as disastrous as it could have been, but it was a rather near thing.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

A's were upgraded up until they retired. In 99 the remaining A's, (14, 41, 211 and 154) were given the DFCS (digital flight control system) and a few other more minor upgrades (PTIDS, etc).

The A's never carried JDAM's, their weapons control computer wouldn't handle it. The JDAM was exclusive to the B's and D's.

There were a number of A's from VF-154 (I believe don't quote me on that) that were sent ashore to fly with F-15E's during OIF because the RIO's screen was bigger than the WSO's of the Mudhens so the RIO's could more effectively pick out targets in the Urban AO's and A model tomcats Buddy Lazed for airforce F-15E's! I've always loved that story!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

There were a number of A's from VF-154 (I believe don't quote me on that) that were sent ashore to fly with F-15E's during OIF because the RIO's screen was bigger than the WSO's of the Mudhens so the RIO's could more effectively pick out targets in the Urban AO's and A model tomcats Buddy Lazed for airforce F-15E's! I've always loved that story!

This is true. Five of VF-154's twelve F-14As were detattched to Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, working closely with USAF, RAF, and RAAF assets to provide close air support for special operations forces. The F-14s primarily functioned in the FAC-A role, buddy lasing or quarterbacking CAS assets during engagements.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png