F-5 won't fly level - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #31
theIRIEone

Sometimes she stays stable, most of the times not at all..
Also slight power adjustments require huge adjustment in pitch trim..
While the plane generally feels great, the trim "issue" makes it feel somewhat broken to me.. Then again, im not a reeal world pilot...

If the purpose of trim is not making flight easier to the pilot, what is it used for? you SHOULD be able to trim for level flight, a certain climb rate etc.. non of this is possible in the F-5..
theIRIEone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #32
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIRIEone View Post
If the purpose of trim is not making flight easier to the pilot, what is it used for? you SHOULD be able to trim for level flight, a certain climb rate etc.. non of this is possible in the F-5..
The primary function of trim is not to make flight easier. Trim is required to reduce or get rid off the considerable control forces from the stick/yoke/pedals.
E.g. on old jets the required rudder force to maintain the heading in the asymmetric case can be as high as 180lbs!
You certainly don't want to keep this pressure the whole time without being able trim some or all of this force away.

It's just a nice additional feature if you can trim a plane for hands off flight, especially if you are flying IFR.

Last edited by bbrz; 07-19-2018 at 08:50 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #33
dkbone

Default Yes you can fly the F-5 hands off level flight

Yes you can fly the F-5 with hands off stick level flight. here is one recipe. Now I have a Warthog stick and throttle so it might be more difficult with another throttle but give it a go.

1. I used the Nevada map took off normally from Groom Lake flew west to the edge of the map
then turned back towards Nellis on the other side of the map

2. Got to 10,000 feet leveled off the best I could. Set the throttle to 88% just under 90%

3 This is the important stuff. Look under the hood at the trim gauge. It goes from one line under zero then zero then the first line and on up past 5 to a few more. If you set it at the line below zero or on zero the plane will fly you into the ground. If you set it at the the first line above zero or other lines above zero it will give you the roller coaster ride. However if you set it at just below the first line above zero that's the sweet spot.

4 Now with your throttle at 88% and your trim set to just below the first line above zero. You can now watch you vertical speed indicator to see how much more you are either ascending or descending.

5. ascending more than descending tap with you fingers on the throttle to slow the aircraft. A very slight tap. this is very sensative. don't pull or push just tap.

6. Descending more. Tap the throttle up. Just tap it

7. A few taps here and there and your in hands off stick and level all the way back to Nellis

8. You don''t need extra fuel the F-5 it is very fuel efficient at this setting. Fly slick no weapons

9. You can experiment a different altitudes and throttle settings on your own. write down your power setting for future. you can even work out approach descents. Once the light bulb goes on in your head there will be no stopping you.

Yes on auto flaps, F-5 instant action takeoff Nevada map. Remember as fuel is depleted your center of gravity will change slightly. Just tap on the throttle to adjust. I spent 8 hours on this watching how the aircraft responded to different settings. Smiled all the way across the map hands free stick and level.

Hope this helps
Short movie of F5E levelflight in DCS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0heu8jt5r2...light.mp4?dl=0

Thumper

Last edited by dkbone; 07-31-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added link to movie of F5
dkbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 AM   #34
609_Relentov

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker1953 View Post
Quick question...has anyone been able to trim out the F-5 to fly straight and level? I have tried using the HOTAS ( X-55), the trim works beautifully however, I'm always climbing or descending. I also try to trim with the keyboard (after clearing HOTAS) with the same result. I seem to be able to trim out other A/C...any words of wisdom ??
I've never been able to fly the F-5E level without a lot of downward stick pressure...

I have to trim down as far as it will go, and only then can I fly level - still with a little less forward stick pressure. Even with full nose down elevator trim, if I hold my stick in the centered position, the F-5E will start to climb and if I don't push down, it'll go vertical and stall out... it's crazy, and has really affected my flying time with this aircraft (don't fly it much at all any more).

I still use a MS Force Feedback 2 stick, so maybe there's something that's not working right with that old stick. But I don't have any issues with other DCS modules re: the overdone elevator lift. If the trim range for nose down would be as large as the nose up trim, I could probably get it to the point where it would fly level without any forward stick pressure.
609_Relentov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:09 AM   #35
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Relentov View Post
I still use a MS Force Feedback 2 stick, so maybe there's something that's not working right with that old stick. But I don't have any issues with other DCS modules re: the overdone elevator lift.
Since apparently no one else experiences this problem I doubt that 'overdone' elevator lift is the problem.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #36
609_Relentov

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Since apparently no one else experiences this problem I doubt that 'overdone' elevator lift is the problem.
Well, obviously you hadn't experienced it... I was just trying to describe the issue. No worries, as I've figured out my problem thanks to Elysian Angel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Angel View Post
You could also try the "non-linear joystick mode" in Special Options. That seems to help a lot of people.
Also, making tiny throttle adjustments help for trimming out perfectly, to allow for 'hands-off' level flight.
Thanks Elysian Angel! Since I have a MS FFB2 stick, I had used the Special option for Joystick Mode of: "Displaced Neutral (FFB)", and never thought about it again. I changed it to "Nonlinear "mode, and it made a huge difference! Now, the jet doesn't pull up automatically all the time, I can actually use the normal trim range and it flies level! I'm glad I re-read through this thread .
609_Relentov is offline   Reply With Quote