[Guide] How to make DCS download updates on a separate drive - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #21
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Man, this is not working...I either get "Cannot create file when one already exists" or I get syntax error... I made a folder on D: drive called "DCS Download Junction"...then CUT & PASTED _downloads folder from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta to the D:\DCS Download Junction folder that I created...now here is my command mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads" ok, what did I do wrong

Make sure there is no _download folder on C:drive. That's what the command is going to make.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #22
Alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Maybe you guys getting it mixed up.
mklink /J "C:\LinkToFolder" "G:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder"
Assume your game is on C: drive and you have backup G:drive
Cut and paste the _download folder to the G: drive
Now that G:drive is the original folder and the command will create a link folder on to the C: drive where _download folder used to be, pointing to the location in the G:drive.

I'll send an actual command when I get to my PC later
Yeah, that is directly the opposite of the OP's first post...so which is which? Now wait, that IS what I did. Follow it alphabetically....I'm going from Drive C: (Original install drive) to Drive D: the junction and new home of the downloads...which I did...so why do you have G as the originalfolder location? Also, we need to be careful of the syntax and where spaces are and where quotes are...since we're working in a DOS environment, we need to use double quotes for directories named with spaces...why can't they make an app that does all this syntax stuff for you...it's like we're panning for gold

Last edited by Alphamale; 07-18-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #23
Alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Make sure there is no _download folder on C:drive. That's what the command is going to make.
There wasn't...I said I CUT & PASTE...cutting moves the folder thereby creating a void where the folder once was...believe me, I followed the OP's instructions to a TEE....don't know what is wrong, but it seems to me that there could be an simple executable made that does all this for you...
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:41 AM   #24
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads"
I figured it out.
mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\_downloads" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads"

That will create _download link from C: to D:

The D: could have been named anything else but the C: which is the link must only be named _download for it to fool DCS updater.

And don't forget to right click command promt and run as Admin.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote