Flex Sight and TrackIR5

When using the Flex Gun/Flex sight with TrackIR, the visor is "jumping around" which makes it very hard to actually hit something. If needed, then I can upload a video to show the effect.

In the cockpit, TrackIR works perfect though (no jumping around). It's only with the Flex Sight where it seems inaccurate.

Yes, been like that as long as I know. Unfortunately it seems to be the default aming when having TIR. I always disable my TIR when using the flex sight or back seat gunners and use the mouse ("AP" enabled).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Too bad, because I've heard it shall work pretty good in VR.

The way we practice and attack in our squad, I simply can't use AP. Aside that, I also don't want to use the AP ;-)

It would be nice if this could be looked at. ATM, I simply let the AI use the Flexi Gun, but it doesn't always attack my desired target...

Even if it did work I would still use the mouse. In my opinion there are other issues concerning TIR and aiming, not concerning VR. If you sitt still and move your head, the reticle will easily move out of sight. And if you move your body to follow the reticle, it's easy to move out of the TIR camera view. But this might only be an issue if you like me have a 1:1 TIR profile.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

My profile isn't 1:1. Aiming is still not easy, I agree. However, if you do a high level attack and, you tip in, fire the rockets first and then change to the flexi gun when closer before you break 90° right/left, then you can't simply let the AP fly the Huey. It would level out the flight during your attack.

My solution so far is to simply use the fixed guns from the pilot seat. That seems to work better.

Yeah, "he" isn't very susceptible to directions how to fly, our fellow "pilot"...

Even if I don't use TIR aiming I'm fully backing your request for improvement.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
When using the Flex Gun/Flex sight with TrackIR, the visor is "jumping around" which makes it very hard to actually hit something. If needed, then I can upload a video to show the effect.

In the cockpit, TrackIR works perfect though (no jumping around). It's only with the Flex Sight where it seems inaccurate.

Well, I found a remedy:

'TrackIR Aiming On/Off' [T + RShift]

A not very well known "hidden" feature. Default is to have the head movement separate from the sight, and to control the sight with the mouse, but with this (toggle) command your "face" is glued to the sight and you only use your head to aim. Unfortunately there is no way to make this mode the default (not what I have found yet at least).

The default mode is bugged though, as we already have seen. I reported my findings in a new thread here.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Not sure if I understood it correctly. For me, aiming with the head/TrackIR is by default. I'm not using the mouse. The visor is anyway jumping around. It's not really possible to aim with the head. However, I'll try the RShift-T, just in case I misunderstood your explanation :-)

Indeed, you can aim with your head in the default mode, but I don't think you should be able to do that. And the TrackIR takes precedence over the mouse, though the conflict causes jumping.

Compare with the door gunners, default is free head and aiming with mouse, no jumping around. Rshift+T and your head is glued to the sight/gun, again no jumping.

You can of course remove the mouse axis assignments from the TrackIR Gunner profile, but then you can't use it for the door gunners.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

It's easier to aim with the RShift+T mode, but I perfectly understand you, I wish there was a way to make that mode default.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Looking for something else, I found this tip in post #7:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3246750

I'm not at home to try myself, but if I understand it correctly one can disable the TrackIR aiming by default by adding/edit a removed feature.

Will try it when I get home.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I tried the RShift-T...seems to work.

I noticed that I was not able to look around in the F2 anymore though because it still didn't work when I pressed RShift-T again. Therefore I'm not sure if it was related to RShift-T or not. I'll have to test it again another day.

Well, looking around in F2 with the mouse definitively won't work if you disable trackIR aiming with RShift-T :(

I never noticed, but it's true. Strange is, when I tested this just now, if I hit ESC and "Adjust Controls" and then "Cancel" (without doing anything) while in F2, the mouse control is back and seems to work until toggling RShift-T (pressing two times). I could even disable and then enable the flexisight [M], both the aiming mode and mouse control in F2 persisted.

If you are interested, I have created a small MOD that among other things enables the 'TrackIR Aiming On/Off' to be assigned to a joystick button (the 'Cargo View' is also included). You find it here.

By the way I tested the suggested modification mentioned in the link I posted above, but doesn't work in that form. Will investigate further.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I'll have to try. I think I also went to the "adjust controls" yesterday (because I was searching for "mouse"). I also did not change anything and left with ESC, but it did not help. I ended up moving the cam with the keybard which was not very precise. Definitively not useable if you want to create a video....

Thanks, I'll have a look at the file. I also once included the cargo view, but then there once was an update where firing rockets didn't work anymore. That's when I reverted to the original DCS file. Since it's simply RShift-T, I may go with Voice Attack.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the file. I also once included the cargo view, but then there once was an update where firing rockets didn't work anymore. That's when I reverted to the original DCS file. Since it's simply RShift-T, I may go with Voice Attack.

This MOD is up to date, so it should not mess with the rockets. It's adopted to be used with OvGME, it's not needed but highly recommended if you deal with MODs.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

OvGME is always good ;-) You simply have to deal with mods if you fly online with some groups. Good thing with OvGME is that you simply disable the program mods before updating (I also use OvGME for the saved game mods). After the update, enable everything again.

However, IF this file would change again in a future update, you'd have to adjust the mod again. That's why I became a bit careful with "control input mods".

However, IF this file would change again in a future update, you'd have to adjust the mod again. That's why I became a bit careful with "control input mods".

Indeed, then the snapshot function of OvGME comes in handy. I always compare last snapshot with current install after every update. If any file included in any of my MODs are updated, I compare them with Notepad++ and change my MOD accordingly. A tedious job, especially when using the OB, but has to be done.

What irritates me though, is that most of my MODs are due to small, but irritating bugs that never seems to get any attention from the devs, how ever often they get reported. Fine, maybe not high priority bugs, but even if the fix is less than a 60 seconds job for a dev, they seem to never care.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5