HP Reverb - Awesome

KiwiRoss

Last week I purchased the "relaunched" HP Reverb and here are my thoughts.

I didn't purchase one of the original headsets (Oculus, Vive) so this is my first experience with VR on DCS. I was apprehensive as I'm only running a GTX1080 (not ti) and an i7-6800 so thought I might need to purchase some better hardware.

Recently, though Steam have launched their Steam VR auto-resolution scaling which determines a maximum usable resolution given your setup and the headset you're using.

As a result the software has determined a resolution of 1972 x 1928 per eye (which I think is the max resolution which will still give 90fps for my GPU (Steam define this resolution as 100%). Using this resolution has been fantastic. The computer hasn't skipped a beat and I've run DCS, IL2, X-Plane 11 and Assetto Corsa with no issues at all. In fact with IL2 I've bumped up the resolution to 130% (2248 x 2196). I believe this is the resolution the GPU is generating rather than the lens resolution (1.4 x lens resolution) so lens res of 1,606 x 1,569. But in any case I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

There are no dead pixels and I haven't experienced any noticeable SDE.

With the original launch there appeared to be a loose headset connection. This has been resolved by a clip to hold the two connectors together.

Overall I'm incredibly impressed with this headset. The speakers and mic work fine (I'm using Voice attack) and I have had no issue with the controllers.

Edited by KiwiRoss
clarification of lens resolution

Last week I purchased the "relaunched" HP Reverb and here are my thoughts.

I didn't purchase one of the original headsets (Oculus, Vive) so this is my first experience with VR on DCS. I was apprehensive as I'm only running a GTX1080 (not ti) and an i7-6800 so thought I might need to purchase some better hardware.

Recently, though Steam have launched their Steam VR auto-resolution scaling which determines a maximum usable resolution given your setup and the headset you're using.

As a result the software has determined a resolution of 1972 x 1928 per eye (which I think is the max resolution which will still give 90fps for my GPU (Steam define this resolution as 100%). Using this resolution has been fantastic. The computer hasn't skipped a beat and I've run DCS, IL2, X-Plane 11 and Assetto Corsa with no issues at all. In fact with IL2 I've bumped up the resolution to 130% (2248 x 2196). I believe this is the resolution the GPU is generating rather than the lens resolution (1.4 x lens resolution) so lens res of 1,606 x 1,569. But in any case I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

There are no dead pixels and I haven't experienced any noticeable SDE.

With the original launch there appeared to be a loose headset connection. This has been resolved by a clip to hold the two connectors together.

Overall I'm incredibly impressed with this headset. The speakers and mic work fine (I'm using Voice attack) and I have had no issue with the controllers.

Hi may i ask you your IPD? Thank you

Well using the ruler in the mirror technique I would say around 67 (but that will be rough). What also assisted in my decision to go with the Reverb is that I purchased it locally in NZ so I could take it back easily if there were issues.

Very interesting, also my IPD is about 67 and i'm trying to understand if reverb could be fit good enough for me.

Edited by maxsin72

Well - if possible you should try it first. I find there is enough movement in the headset to provide focus and as I'm only on a GTX1080 res will get better with better GPU. At the moment the res for me is great - I don't have an urgent need to upgrade my GPU.

Cheers, I checked PB Tech a couple of days ago and they had no stock, I guess you got lucky! New stock in on 25th by the looks of it.

Ross if your looking for other Kiwis to fly with check us out, The Flying Kiwis, we fly several times a week and have a great crew of Kiwis and Aussies. Find our discord channel here if your keen:

https://discord.gg/QjPd5pM

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

If able, I'd buy directly from HP.

This will assure your getting the newer models.

Newer models fixed the main core 3 issues of heat, connectivity, flickering.

Glad to hear this KiwiRoss, I also have found just setting DCS to PD 1.0 and using default beta SteamVR settings had the best FPS and it was pretty smooth. Then after that if I wanted any sort of bump up I can use the slider.

I also set my motion vector to auto in the settings file.

One friend of mine told me a nice resolution but you have the impression you have a veil in front of your eyes and it ruins everything, I use Pimax 5k +

Cannot confirm. My new Reverb has a perfectly crisp image (coming from the O+ it's an impressive step up). :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

One friend of mine told me a nice resolution but you have the impression you have a veil in front of your eyes and it ruins everything, I use Pimax 5k +
Not in my experience (and I had a 5k+ before the Reverb)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Not in my experience (and I had a 5k+ before the Reverb)

Hi,and thx

So do you suggest me to switch on Reverb and get rid of Pimax 5K+? I'm interested in your opinion, I would like to know without taking the money issue, which Vr is the best, amongst all in the market

Hi,and thx

So do you suggest me to switch on Reverb and get rid of Pimax 5K+? I'm interested in your opinion, I would like to know without taking the money issue, which Vr is the best, amongst all in the market

It comes down to preferences. I thought the Pimax FOV would be a game changer for racing & flight sims. For me it wasn't. I didn't like the amount of visible binocular overlap where you can see the border of the lenses as they overlap and the amount of SDE.

The Reverb is a much clearer image but of course is more like viewing a circle than the big ellipse of the Pimax, and the Reverb has much less SDE.

Going back to a relatively small FOV may be an issue, it wasn't for me.

In my view the Reverb is the "best" headset of all the ones I have tried - CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax 5K+ & Index. Though my priority is clarity of image, whilst other headsets have better attributes, this determines my choice.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

It comes down to preferences. I thought the Pimax FOV would be a game changer for racing & flight sims. For me it wasn't. I didn't like the amount of visible binocular overlap where you can see the border of the lenses as they overlap and the amount of SDE.

The Reverb is a much clearer image but of course is more like viewing a circle than the big ellipse of the Pimax, and the Reverb has much less SDE.

Going back to a relatively small FOV may be an issue, it wasn't for me.

In my view the Reverb is the "best" headset of all the ones I have tried - CV1, Odyssey+, Pimax 5K+ & Index. Though my priority is clarity of image, whilst other headsets have better attributes, this determines my choice.

You're right, I have a Pimax5k+ as well but want to have the one which suits me and matches with my expectations and the first priority for is the cleanness and clarity of the image read and see well the gauges

Thanks

Sorry but what is the relevance of this post? Are you asking if it appears you are looking through mesh or are you saying a Pimax 5k plus is better without seeing the Reverb?

They are both a similar price so are you saying pimax is better?