Simple Request to the BS modelling team

EricJ

I remember seeing in a topic somwhere about redoing the Su-33, so the thing I'll suggest/request is could you just make the national insignia part of the skin like on the Mig? After editing a skin, I found it looks alot better of course with it instead of it a seperate tga file:

Current model (look at tail area)

example.jpg

Made part of the skin:

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Yep, and plus on the processor side, it doesn't have to render as much for x amount of seperate textures, there's only the aircraft itself. The Su-27/33 models themselves have six positions, so the processor has to render for each spot. While current processors are of course handling that, it just looks ugly when you look at the top screenshot. I don't know the reasoning behind the Mig, why it has it's insignia part of the texture, but overall given the complexity of the model itself (or that was why, the modeller just couldn't get the geometry right), I'm sure somewhere it's actually doing something staying part of the texture, rather than the seperate geometry.

Besides, there are people who are willing to waste the time to make other fictional skins, so it wouldn't be nothing but more choices ;)

• Like 1

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

I totally agree with EricJ!

It makes no sense keeping the insignia detached from the skin. The only reason should be if really a lot of countries used exactly the same skin with different roundels... but that is not the common case.

Mergin the insignia on the skin would also automatically have the insignia of the same res of the skin. Today we often see high-res skins with poor-res roundels.

and of course, having the same hobby as EricJ, I support this thing because makes job easier for skinners. roundels should be treated only at template level ;)

And you want to create 100 different skins for each aircraft number? ;)

The aircraft number feature works the same way the (national) insignia works.

The fact that there's a visual "flaw" in certain conditions should not be a reason to discard this feature.

How many countries in LockOn have F-16? Plenty ;)

Besides, iirc, there are high-res Soviet insignia available, which replace the old low-res (yes, ugly) insignia.

And you want to create 100 different skins for each aircraft number? ;)

The aircraft number feature works the same way the (national) insignia works.

The fact that there's a visual "flaw" in certain conditions should not be a reason to discard this feature.

How many countries in LockOn have F-16? Plenty ;)

Besides, iirc, there are high-res Soviet insignia available, which replace the old low-res (yes, ugly) insignia.

No it was only referred to the skins and country insignia.

How many countries fly the F-16? many. how many with exactly the same skin? none, because it also changes from squadron to squadron. that's the point. the problem remains with the numbers, but it's a more limited issue.

I still agree with EricJ.

Yeah I don't know how people get so confused, it was about skins and country insignia. I know there's nothing I can (or anybody for that matter) get rid of the numbers unless they use another modified file.