Supercarrier and F-14?

bell_rj

The Supercarrier will include the most accurate simulation of carrier communications you have ever heard in a game. This includes Case I, II, and III operations and unique voice overs for departure, marshal, approach, tower, the landing signal officer (LSO), and even messages over the 5 MC. Many of these parts are voiced by service members that filled the actual roles! We will also include the needed voice over files to support all aircraft types that have flown from a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, including the F-14.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2019-08-16_Supercarriers/

Well, the F-14 wasn't intended to land on the Tarawa in any way, shape, or form, yet.... one can land on the Tarawa just fine. So it's a pretty reasonable assumption that yes, the most anticipated module to ever come out for DCS (The F-14) would work on the new Super Carrier module.

With enough skill and maybe silliness you can operate anything that'll fit off of the carrier, but yes you'll definitely be able to operate the Tomcat off of the Supercarrier

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hi everyone,

Short answer is that we don't know yet. In order to integrated the Tomcat for the Supercarrier, there is some support required from the Tomcat developer.

Thanks

Hello Wags is it related to this?

We're working on this, but the arresting information we receive from DCS is very rudimentary at the moment and we'll need to create a more complex interaction model ourselves (it seems!)

I really hope ED & HB can work it out, it would benefit everyone & future 3:rd party Naval-airplanes :thumbup:.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

The Tomcat is going to work just fine with the carrier.

It would be absurd for this not to be the case. ED just isn't going to promise what HB has to do. HB is not going to leave heir customers high & dry.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everyone,

Short answer is that we don't know yet. In order to integrated the Tomcat for the Supercarrier, there is some support required from the Tomcat developer.

Thanks

That's not encouraging. You're implying there is NO support? Have they had he opportunity to see what you're working with so they can do something on their end or is this launching day 1 and that'll be the first time HB sees it..?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everyone,

Thanks

So on the day I bought the DLC: Supercarrier, 6 hours after purchase, I find out that it is not known whether my only NAVY aircraft will work properly in this module? It's good that he wasn't on the promotional trailer ... but ... oh no ... he's there ...

Well, the Tomcat is a completely different generation of aircraft so it would probably require a whole different method and interaction with the carrier. I am sure that people can just hook to them or launch like any other "basic" carrier but fully simulated and interactive landing or launching is a very different story.

From ED's response it seems like Heatblur needs to do more work to get it fully compatible with this module. Heatblur were probably busy developing simulation with their carrier so this just adds more work on their plate. Especially if they were coding or developing separate method of interaction between F-14 and the Forrestal carrier.

Let us hope it all works out in the end but I am still holding off on my purchase of the supercarrier until it is very clear what we are getting.

Edited by Terrorban

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

I don't understand how ED and Heatblur haven't already worked together to make this happen. Is it because ED sees the free Heatblur carrier as being a threat to their sales? I hope not, because if ED use these strategies I can see many module developers breaking away from DCS. There's a rather large new simulation on the way, and if these talented modders can introduce combat systems to it, ED is going to face an incredibly challenging road ahead.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Strange indeed. With F-14 support on the product page I would've expected more of a "We're working with Heatblur on this," but it sounds like the conversation hasn't even started. I have faith it'll all work out but it's needlessly distressing to say "We don't know yet."

And I don't know why ED would feel threatened by Heatblur's carrier, it's entirely possible Heatblur stopped work on their boat so ED could get theirs out the gate first.

In real life, would the OLS have to be adjusted for the differences of tailhook-to-pilot's eye distance for each aircraft type (F/A-18C / F-14B)?

If so, will this be modeled?

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Strange indeed, but understandable in some ways. Let's just be patient and hope that in the couple months between offer of pre-purchase to release, that the communication has occurred to allow folks to operate off the new carrier with it.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Eh...

I'm not getting excited about this question.

Why?

Because I can't see anyone, except maybe ppl who hate gamers, not wanting this to happen. HeatBlur wants to do this, because cool, because sales, because customers. ED wants this because cool sales customers. Customers want this because COOL very cool!

I think Wags is just hedging IN CASE something doesn't go well... I mean we do tend to hang on his every word, evidenced by this very thread reaction to his post!

I think what's possibly going on is, ED is working on Supercarrier. And it's got a new programming setup for the hook landing and maybe the takeoff. Different than the current Stennis setup. And I think it's likely still in internal testing, totally hidden from outside partners like Heatblur, at this time. But when it's time, and 3rd parties are informed of how to make their products compatible, it'll be up to Heatblur and others to modify their products to be able to land on the supercarriers.

What I'm saying is, I don't see the F-14 not being able to land on the Supercarrier, by the time the Tomcat is out of early access, at the absolute latest. I don't think it would require much programming, not compared to most of the amazing things DCS has been programmed to do. I'm downright amazed that the aircraft we have are already so well represented... there was a time when I wondered if FourFalcons was going to be the last or only attempt at a home retail simulation of fighters, and I'm glad I was so wrong!

Eh...

I'm not getting excited about this question.

Why?

Because I can't see anyone, except maybe ppl who hate gamers, not wanting this to happen. HeatBlur wants to do this, because cool, because sales, because customers. ED wants this because cool sales customers. Customers want this because COOL very cool!

I think Wags is just hedging IN CASE something doesn't go well... I mean we do tend to hang on his every word, evidenced by this very thread reaction to his post!

I think what's possibly going on is, ED is working on Supercarrier. And it's got a new programming setup for the hook landing and maybe the takeoff. Different than the current Stennis setup. And I think it's likely still in internal testing, totally hidden from outside partners like Heatblur, at this time. But when it's time, and 3rd parties are informed of how to make their products compatible, it'll be up to Heatblur and others to modify their products to be able to land on the supercarriers.

What I'm saying is, I don't see the F-14 not being able to land on the Supercarrier, by the time the Tomcat is out of early access, at the absolute latest. I don't think it would require much programming, not compared to most of the amazing things DCS has been programmed to do. I'm downright amazed that the aircraft we have are already so well represented... there was a time when I wondered if FourFalcons was going to be the last or only attempt at a home retail simulation of fighters, and I'm glad I was so wrong!

Very good point, though I wish the response from Wags was a little more optimistic and detailed. I'll hold off on buying the carrier until Tomcat support is confirmed.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Yeah, this thread is really just a place for people to "panic" before the carrier is even released. Don't think for one second that they will make these two modules incompatible. No way.

And to be fair - their video never actually shows the F-14B launching or trapping with the carrier.... It simply shows a pilot salute and afterburner ignition...... Probably to prevent some of the exact same comments that have been posted above, you know like "shouldn't show it if it isn't compatible type stuff." They didn't advertise it, they included the airframe in the same video, but never showed it actually interacting with the new carrier. Have some patience people, it's a game and those who have worked hard to create these two modules (and more) won't want to isolate themselves from each other. Give it a break.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria