Getting maximum speed out of the Gazelle

xvii-Dietrich

I've been experimenting with the Gazelle, trying to get the fastest speeds out of it. From the DCS SA342 manual (p9) it states:

Unfortunately, on the SA-342M1 Viviane version, the rotor blades choice allows a more important take-off mass but decreases the Vne to 280km/h, a nd the helicopter will hardly reach a maximal forward flight speed of 180 to 200km/h.
I checked this out, and a fully-equipped SA342M (3xHOT3, IR suppressor, sand filter, full fuel), flying level (using altitude hold) at sea-level, with the collective just before the point where the red-warning light on the anti-torque starts blinking, I can get 214 km/h (or 212 km/h if I switch the sand filter on). That's pretty good!

I also tried the SA342L (which I think should be the fastest, right?). For it (still full fuel, for comparison), I removed the rockets, the IR filter and the sand filter and then flew it level (altitude hold) at sea-level, again with the collective just before the point where the red-warning light on the anti-torque starts blinking. I could get 222km/h. If I fired off all the gun ammunition, the speed went up to 227 km/h.

Then, I tried again with the same SA342L configuration, but with 20% fuel. I got 249km/h (which went up to 253 km/h after firing off all the ammunition in the gun).

Hunting around on the web, I find figures of 270 km/h cruise speed (REF), but I'm not sure a) if these data are relevant to the Gazelle model we have in DCS or b) if these data are actually reliable in the first place.

More likely is that my technique is not very good, in which case does anyone have any suggestions on how I could fly the SA342L faster?

Hunting around on the web, I find figures of 270 km/h cruise speed (REF), but I'm not sure a) if these data are relevant to the Gazelle model we have in DCS or b) if these data are actually reliable in the first place.

Wikipedia would give these values for Gazelle:

Performance

Maximum speed: 310 km/h (193 mph; 167 kn) at sea level
Cruise speed: 264 km/h (164 mph; 143 kn) max cruise at sea level
economical cruise speed: 233 km/h (145 mph; 126 kn)

And then for a Lynx:

Performance

Maximum speed: 324 km/h (201 mph)

And:

In 1986, a specially modified Lynx set the current Fédération Aéronautique Internationale's official airspeed record for helicopters (category excludes compound helicopters) at 400.87 km/h (249.09 mph), which remains unbroken as of 2019.

So comparing that Lynx has still the speed record, the Gazelle shouldn't be so fast with loads, as those specs should be when the aircraft is completely clean, one pilot etc. As you then start to lose every performance values from specs when you start to load aircraft with various loads and systems.

So for the Gazelle, 180-200 km/h maximum speed with Viviane and missiles, fuel load etc does sound likely situation.

Comparing it to a KA-27:

Performance

Maximum speed: 270 km/h (168 mph; 146 kn)
Cruise speed: 205 km/h (127 mph; 111 kn)

Where the old KA-27 is slower than the new KA-29, that is fast and is losing to Lynx:

And comparing to Mi-24 that is known for its speed:

Performance

Maximum speed: 335 km/h (208 mph, 180 kt)

That should be able to go around 280-310km/h with weapon loads.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick note:- Max speed does not mean how fast it will go in level flight under it's own power. Some can hit their max speed in level flight but a lot can't.

Max speed actually refers to what's called "VNE" or "velocity never exceed". Above that speed bad things start to happen like aerodynamic instability or structural damage.

To be honest the only time the Gaz will hit it's max speed is in a steep descent.

Edited by Hunter_5E

https://vtol.org/news/russia-sets-unofficial-speed-record

This exceeds the official (and still officially unbroken) pure helicopter record of 400.87 km/hr (216 kts) set in 1986 by the British G-LYNX Westland Lynx helicopter. Like the G-LYNX with its British Experimental Rotor Programme (BERP) blades, the Mi-24LL PSV demonstrator uses very similar fore/aft swept blade tips.

Unconfirmed reports are that the high speed Russian flight(s) actually occurred more than a month ago in early October (or late September) and achieved 407 km/hr in steady level flight.

Max speed actually refers to what's called "VNE" or "velocity never exceed". Above that speed bad things start to happen like aerodynamic instability or structural damage.

Max speed is that helicopter can achieve by its own engine at level flight, that doesn't mean Max weight and full fuel load, but optimal situation.

The "never exceed speed" is just that, speed one should never in any situation cross. And that means any loading and it is typically in diving. So you can be extremely light or heavy, but that speed one shouldn't cross.

• 3 weeks later...