New to Warbirds

@saburo_cz beat me to it... this is the No.1 piece of advice.

You get to check your hardware, your controllers, and the feel of the WW2 conventional-style landing gear (and all the issues with ground handling, etc. that this brings). If you can manage standard flights in the TF-51D on the Caucasus map you'll know what to expect when you buy a module.

Then, as @raz+or says, get the one that interests you the most. That way you'll have the enthusiasm to stick with it. All DCS aircraft required a lot of dedication to get out of them the depth and nuance that makes DCS so rewarding.

Yes, this.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

WHAT in the hell did I get myself into? RPM, pitch, throttle, MP, governors!

I just wanted to put a nickel in the machine and putt around! -hahaha

I did find this gentleman on youtube yesterday and he is starting a Warbirds series.

First episode is about the TF-51D/P-51D

I can see now what everyone has been explaining to me, there is a lot to learn about each aircraft. Best to learn one completely - then you can use that knowledge to apply to another if you so choose.

I'll keep reading this week and try it out Friday night.

Thanks again for all your input.

-john

I can see now what everyone has been explaining to me, there is a lot to learn about each aircraft. Best to learn one completely - then you can use that knowledge to apply to another if you so choose.

This is something I love about DCS. It pushes us in the direction of really learning and mastering one, maybe two aircraft. They're all very different from each other to the point where hopping around from air frame to air-frame can be detrimental. Staying current on type is a thing.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Personal Drama - I get home last night and there is a note on my goldfish bowl. If I want to see my fish again, I need to pay the ransom -which strangely enough- was the exact same price for the new P-47D. Needless to say, being the environmentalist that I am, I retuned the bowl full of water back to mother earth and I now own the new P-47D! - hahahaha

New question:

I see that the P-47D is an "early release" - would it better to leave the P-47D in the wrapper until it's full release and continue my initial learning on the TF-51D. Then transition to the P-47D after it's been fully released? Or is the P-47D good enough now to learn the basic flight mechanics?

thanks again for all input - looking forward to starting tomorrow night!

john-

This is something I love about DCS. It pushes us in the direction of really learning and mastering one, maybe two aircraft. They're all very different from each other to the point where hopping around from air frame to air-frame can be detrimental. Staying current on type is a thing.

I hope around more aircraft faster then people take a ride on the community bike :lol: Love the warbirds, P-47 is nice, cant wait for the water injection and the later varient that can take rockets

I did find this gentleman on youtube yesterday and he is starting a Warbirds series.

-john

You should also look at flying on multiplayer servers like acrobatics online. People are very helpful and are usually very keen to help you overcome any difficulties or problems if you ask them in the chat.

You should also join the Teamspeak and/or discord for the servers you fly on. The DCS community is pretty good.

I wasn't able to download the P-47, did some reading and just answered my own question. I would prefer to stay on the current release and get some stable fly time under my belt, without having to deal with Beta issues. I'll fly the TF-51 for now. No rush. Learn the basics now. Then when the P-47 goes to general release, I'll take it up then.

-john

-john

Ah its easier once you understand it all, applies to most aircraft the same way that jets do.

few minor differences between aircraft but otherwise still fun to learn all of em :D dealing with the Turbo on the p47 is something i need to get used to personally, cant wait for the mosquito though :D

WOW - did the instant flight... my machine holds up well, good graphics.

Now I just need to figure out the best settings for my controls. I got the T.1600M with the throttle.

Guess its time to go to school now - start studying and practicing. A ton to digest.

Looking forward to all of it!!

Thanks to everyone for all the help,

john-

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I just wanted to drop back in and update my progress.

1. I completely get the learn one aircraft thing now. I'm hooked on the P-51 and I can't find enough to read about them (granted, there seems to be plenty- haha).

2. The throttle vs MP discussion - I'm JUST starting to see the correlation.

3. Got out my VR glasses and DAMM... what a great experience.

4. All I'm doing right now, is taking off - going into a pattern and landing. Over and over... can do it now without the fireball on landing.

I'll order the the full P-51 next week, while it's on sale, along with the blue nose campaign.

Still learning and having a bunch of fun. Loving the warbirds.

Thanks again for all your time and help getting started.

john