Triple Monitors or 75" 4k TV ???

My A10C cockpit is getting close to being finished so I have to start thinking about external displays. My only experience is using a 42" HD TV which was barely adequate. I also have a 120" screen with a JVC projector. That is a VERY nice way to fly. But a full sized cockpit just won't fit in the home theater room. Actually it will, but my better half says NO it won't.:music_whistling:

I am considering a single 75" 4k TV or maybe a triple 50" monitor setup. I have a 1080ti to drive everything. I also ruled out projectors even if they do provide a great view of the sky. Its mostly because of the cost of replacing bulbs. 3 projectors can give you 270 degrees of view but every 2000 hours the bulbs start to blow and they are expensive to replace.

So I would like to get some opinions from those who have experience with, lets us say, "the more exotic display setups". Pro's, con's, do's and don'ts are all appreciated.

Thanks for your input guys.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Have you considered the incoming higher definition VR goggles? Much more immersion for a fraction of the price. With VR software and hardware evolving quickly, I am not sure there will be a need for these kind of setups much longer.

Intel i7-13700k | Zotac Trinity RTX 4090 | Asrock B660 Steel Legend | 32Gb RAM 3600 | 2TB NVMe + 2TB SSD + 8TB HDD | Corsair TX850M | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | LG 4K OLED 48CX8LC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL

Have you considered the incoming higher definition VR goggles? Much more immersion for a fraction of the price. With VR software and hardware evolving quickly, I am not sure there will be a need for these kind of setups much longer.

That's not really an option when you have a fully functional real cockpit.:smilewink:

• Like 1

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

I am a fan of the single large 4K. Mount it as close as you can to maximize the actual FOV, then match the game's FOV to the real one and enjoy 1:1 scale. Not quite as immersive as VR, but with incredible graphics quality that won't be available to VR for a few years or more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I started with triple monitor but got so annoyed by the bezels and the lack of immersion that I ditched the center screen and replaced with a nice 4k screen (PC monitor, not TV). I kept the side screens for maps, Teamspeak and Helios etc, which was (for me) much better than a cockpit view stretched artificially over 3 screens.

Then I got a rift and never was able to go back to flying in 2D with track IR. Its just so much better, and if you have a fully function real cockpit, imo, even more so a reason to use the rift, so you can reach for the actual knobs and buttons :)

What about a single ultrawide monitor?

Also, for those that already own triple screens ASUS has come out with (should be available soon) these devices that hide the bezels:

I'm very happy with my single ultrawide monitor (34" 3440x1440). Really nice upgrade from a single monitor for viewing area without needing to worry about getting into insane resolution territory that a triple monitor setup can require.

The downside being that ultrawide "PC monitors" don't get that big and are very expensive if you want gaming bells and whistles like GYSNC/Freesync and high refresh rates. It's a good fit for me because I have it on an arm mount and can bring it closer or further away at will and I want GSYNC and fast refresh for other PC games as well. If you'd be using one statically in a cockpit solely for simming I'm not sure an ultrawide monitor would be a great solution.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

... if you have a fully function real cockpit, imo, even more so a reason to use the rift, so you can reach for the actual knobs and buttons :)

So how would you be able to see the caution panel lights or the mfcd's or the fire indicators when wearing VR goggles. How do you know where your hands are since they're not seen on VR? With a real cockpit all you need to display is the external view. That's why selecting the best possible display is so important.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

John Wall

So how would you be able to see the caution panel lights or the mfcd's or the fire indicators when wearing VR goggles. How do you know where your hands are since they're not seen on VR? With a real cockpit all you need to display is the external view. That's why selecting the best possible display is so important.

When you are wearing the VR, if your virtual cockpit has the same dimensions as your home cockpit and same switch locations, you don't need to see the switches/knobs or your virtual hands to operate them. You can instinctively reach for the right spot. Whereas it is much harder for me to find my MFDs and Warthog throttle switches that do not correspond to any onscreen buttons/knobs. The benefit of flying VR is you don't have to make instruments/displays functional. Just model the shapes and make the knobs/buttons/levers functional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also having a cockpit myself (although nowhere near OP's level), it wasn't very practical in VR. There's nothing wrong with a nice display.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 1 month later...

Hi John! Just saw this post and was wondering if you came up with a solution? I know it's kind of hard when you ask something like "I'm baking an apple pie, does anyone know which apples I should use?" and the responses are "Have you tried oranges? They're the best!" But, what can you do? ;)

And really John, you're close to being finished? (Which your work really is fantastic! Thank you, btw, for your help) Holy crap, I can't ever imagine being close to being finished! Even if I get everything done, I'll still be saying to myself that this could be a little better, or maybe I'll remake that... I'm sure you understand :lol: I am, however, really interested in your original question, as I've been thinking that myself. Huge monitor, projector, or three screen. Maybe we can discuss next time on Skype, until then though let me know what you came up with!

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

I moved from a triple 24" setup to a single 50" 4k TV. The extra expance of the screen is great. I play mostly in VR now.

From your options for siming is go with the triple 50's. The screen is large enough to fill your vision so the extra screens would just add to the immersion. I find from my triples setup you concentrate on the center screen and the sides fill your fov.

Be warned that regular gaming becomes a pain on triples and using various hacks and fixesv to get games to work. Since I made the jump to VR I went to a large single screen for gaming as triples was becoming a headache to maintain.

If you are only simming then triples is the way to go.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

At this moment VR is not the answer. It is not replacing even a 1280x720 display by its resolution. And real cockpit (or just using display) allows one to use actual checklists and draw on maps etc instead just virtual ones without good handling capability.

When we get VR gloves, then we get one step closer to real cockpit. But still lacking the checklists and maps etc and more importantly resolution.

With current speed, VR is good maybe in 5-7 years.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

So how would you be able to see the caution panel lights or the mfcd's or the fire indicators when wearing VR goggles.

How about just by looking at the warning lights or MFCD?

(But that is the problem as the HMD resolutions are too low for good glance viewing and you need more often to lean forward close by to see well the values or texts)

How do you know where your hands are since they're not seen on VR? With a real cockpit all you need to display is the external view. That's why selecting the best possible display is so important.

You should try Oculus Touch Controllers ;)

It is amazing feeling when you can point and grab buttons and knobs etc in cockpit and press them by seeing "your hands" as the gloves. The downside currently is that you need to grab the touch controller each time and place it near the HOTAS once you have done adjustment. So it is little like grabbing a mouse.

But maybe one way could be this:

Seriously, that is ultra fun experience. It is just little challenge to hold the virtual joystick if you don't have a good arm rest but it actually is very usable.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am a fan of the single large 4K. Mount it as close as you can to maximize the actual FOV, then match the game's FOV to the real one and enjoy 1:1 scale. Not quite as immersive as VR, but with incredible graphics quality that won't be available to VR for a few years or more.

Yah, I have 65" curved 4k AND Oculus Rift.

Hardly ever use the rift.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I still recommend having triple monitor as DCS supports dedicated FOV for "each monitor", which I call "true multi monitor support"

This having "dedicated FOV for each monitor" is rather important as with conventional setup, wider FOV makes warp effect that ruins your experience(side edge of monitor is rendered stretched out).

The owner of simpit and Icarus is a member here and is quite helpful if you want projector assistance however, the OP said no projectors!

Im thinking triple screen would be best for a simpit, that way if you have them fairly close, it should fill most of your peripheral vision.

I still recommend having triple monitor as DCS supports dedicated FOV for "each monitor", which I call "true multi monitor support"

This having "dedicated FOV for each monitor" is rather important as with conventional setup, wider FOV makes warp effect that ruins your experience(side edge of monitor is rendered stretched out).

That is fine except for the massive hardware needs to get usable framerates out of a three camera setup.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm thinking about a 50" or so curved 4k. Any pics of curved monitor setups?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

These pics were taken from behind my sim seat. Typically, my eyes are 24" from screen. When in game, all I see is DCS. I estimate the instrument panel is 80% scale with the FOV I prefer.

pp1.thumb.jpg.17e928cb05731b354488763cae3efbc4.jpg

IMG_0225.thumb.jpg.c8a3c3ad6997c0a6033a0ac636c8a4c9.jpg

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 3 weeks later...