Input Devices Re-Initialisation

Since the latest Open Beta update, but now also with the latest release version update I have had numerous occasions where it seems like there is an input received by DCS from my TM Warthog joystick, causing my electrical systems to be turnod on and off and also 8 of my 10 missiles to be dropped in a SU27.

While flying the UH1H my nightvision turns on/off randomly without doing any input on the joystick or keyboard.

The weapons jettison issue is very annoying when in the middle of a combat!

I have attached a logfile where the weapons jettison and electrical system on/off happened.

-----

Second issue, we (me and many others) could not rearm in SU27's after landing in a mission that has been running fine for months, when spawning in you can arm without issue.

-----

Hope to hear about a fix and hope to see a new update to DCS soon, due to all the new issues that have been reported.

Many thanks!

dcs.rar

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I faced the same issue several times with the F-15C. electrical turned on and off and also the canopy open and close. (Usually at the beginning of season)

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | Dominator 32GB 3000MHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING Z | 2TB SSD & 1TB HDD | Acer H277HU 27" WQHD | Audeze Mobius | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Pro

Please forgive me but I am pleased to hear of your problem. It confirms that a near identical problem I have been having for a couple of weeks is a DCS problem, rather than specific to my set-up. My initial thought was that it was a fault in my USB connections that were experiencing temporary power outs.

Now I believe that the problem appears to be caused by the USB inputs re--initialising during flight. Yesterday, mine did it 5 times in quick succession within a second - twice! The result is that once re-initialised, any switches that have been selected ON revert to OFF - thus I lost battery, inverters, fuel pumps, and anything else that was controlled by one of my input boxes.

The good news is that at least I was able to test out the simulation accuracy of a full airborne power-up - it worked quite well!

For the present I will try to revert to mouse clicking to control the problematic inputs, but I will be pleased if DCS acknowledge this and look for a solution.

Good to hear I'm not alone.

The question is if it is related to a specific type of joystick or all joysticks.

I have the ThrustMaster Warthog, what type do you guys have?

I really hope SithSpawn or Grimes can at least acknowledge this so we can feel at ease that it is being looked into....

Many thanks!

http://www.TAWDCS.org ### JOINT TASK FORCE JTF-88 ### https://tawdcs.org/battalion/88th/ ### PC: i9 - 32Gb RAM - GTX 1080Ti - TM Warthog Stick and Throttle - MFG Crosswind Black - TrackIR5 - Buddy Fox UFC

having same issue, Warthog joystick, usually it happens in P-51, canopy slowly rolls open, flaps go down one notch.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Input Devices Re-Initialisation

I find that both the release and the beta version of 1.5.4 repeatedly re-initialise my USB input devices during some sorties, reallocating a new deviceId on each occasion. This is clearly evident in the dcs.log (attached) from time 01287.498 onwards - strangely it often does this 5 times in quick succession! I have also seen at least 2 other dcs.log files submitted by other users which show the same re-initialisation.

Since I use several hard-wired switches with USB input device, many of these are reset when the device is re-initialised, which can cause aircraft systems to be switched off, without any user input.

This was not the caser in 1.5.3, nor in 2.0.2. indeed 2.0.2 does not seem to allocate a deviceId during initialisation of such input devices.

Can anyone suggest why this is, and suggest a way to stop it. At present my hard-wired cockpit is virtually unusable.

dcs.log.txt

Well..... unfortunately, today's update did not fix this issue.

ED, can you please acknowledge the issue and tell us if it will be looked into?

Thank you.

• ED Team

I am not seeing this myself, but looking at the logs it looks like the same device is being recreated multiple times.

I will ask a ED team member to take a look in the morning.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

OK I have spoken to an ED team member, and the most likely cause is a loose connection on the device.

please check your devices.

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I am guessing,

since 1.5.4 hot plugging devices has been enabled, before that it was not possible. So devices that have loose connections or power issues are more likely to show in the logs now.

Edited by BIGNEWY

I suspected a loose or intermittent USB connection and have remade them all several times. I cannot rule this out as a cause - it is certainly a logical suggestion following the incorporation of the hot plug facility

Is it possible for users to disable the hot-plug facility? If not, could the ability to disable it be considered - the USB connection is not the most stable of devices.

Edited by flyco

Hi, I have the same issue with a Teensy board simulating a USB joystick contoller.

Also once my engines switched off, so after reading these posts I think it has also affected my hotas. Both work ok with other programmes, so I find it strange that they are both now faulty...

I think something like the hot plug-in may be affecting these controllers, but I am no expert. If they power on and off, shouldn't the hardwired switches come back at their current position, not a different one? If they could be useful I can send logs as soon as I get home.

Cheers and thanks for your support.

• ED Team

sure attach your logs, the devs read the forums and I will make a point of highlighting it to them on Monday

you can make sure that your USB power settings are at full speed without power saving features enabled and that you are not using any kind of hub to exclude that as well. This is also helpful if you are on USB-WLAN.

Control Center-->Energy Options-->deep down in the list,,,next to where you set minimum clock of CPU...100% !!! ;)

*edit:

There is an option in DCS to SYNC HOTAS, have you tried enabling that ?

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Here is a good article for fixing joystick disconnect issues in Windows 8 and 10.

http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2014/10/fix-windows-8-1-joystick-disconnect-issues-in-fsxx-plane.html

I highly recommend following the second part, going into Device Manager, highlighting each controller and making sure any power saving feature for each controller is disabled. Applies to USB hubs as well.

Also if you happen to use TARGET for TM sticks with a running profile, do the same in device manager for it - with the profile running it will put a new usb device in there for the virtual controller. You only have to disable the power feature once for the virtual controller, the setting will stick after that each time you launch TARGET.

Since doing this myself, I have no longer had any joystick disconnect issues.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey BIGNEWY and other people who gave ideas.

This is not related to any USB connector not seated correctly, nor is my joystick completely disconnected when the issue starts. It's just a few buttons on my TM Warthog Throttle that seem to react to this.

I have tried all ideas posted here, issue remains. Not using any USB adapter, just directly in my PC.

The issue is also not here in ANY other program, even not in the previous versions of DCS.

So it might be related to the hot-plug capabilites, so I hope ED can make sure this is an option that can be turned on if you want to use it.

Thanks for taking time to report this to ED, BIGNEWY!!

System:

Windows 10 x64

16GB Corsair

AMD R9 280 VAPOR-X

Intel i7

ThrustMaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle

Edited by Dutch Baron

• ED Team

no problem, always happy to help.

If anyone else is seeing this please attach your logs so I have more info for the dev team.

I believe I am having same issue with my TrackIR. It stops functioning during flight with message "TrackIR Device Unplugged." Then after a time: "TrackIR Device Plugged In." If I immediately quit DCS to desktop, I find Track IR is not unplugged and operating normally. If I manually unplug/replug the USB connector during the flight, TrackIR resumes functioning normally. I am a long time TrackIR user with same PC hardware and experience this issue with no other program. I have not yet checked for a relationship to manipulating switches in virtual cockpit. I have disabled all the Win 10 device power saving options in Device Manager, Power Management and registry. I will post log later.

no problem, always happy to help.

If anyone else is seeing this please attach your logs so I have more info for the dev team.

I'm having this issue BIG time after installing CV1 today. It must be sucking too much power from my USBs, or whatever. The problem is not so much that DCS re-creates the same input devices with new hardware IDs, but that it assigns default key bindings to these joysticks!! So, besides each keyboard emulation assigned to a hardware button in my Target software, DCS may also execute a certain default action for raw buttons, creating total mess.

Please, DCS, please, stop assigning default bindings to "newly" discovered devices!!! Going into settings and deleting those assignments is a nightmare! Not in the least part due to another bug: if I clean one plane and immediately go to next instead of pressing OK, DCS will invariably crash in the end, cancelling all my changes. Well, it does not crash per se, but the screen does black and I can only kill it. Thus, crash dumps were not created ((

Logs attached, but I doubt they are useful.

Logs.rar

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my log file showing usb resets... affecting in game systems etc.. thanks

dcs.log.txt

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair