HUD refresh rate

Zabuzard

From a business stand point: why cut out a portion of sales that could boost the profit margin of the company and allow them to continue making quality simulators?

You don't know what your are talking about and you can't because there is nothing available about sales data for public, especially about something that has not been released yet. There is no medical personnel here either to confirm if this fraction of the screen can cause more seizure than FPS drops of the whole monitor to sensitive people that are probably non existent in gaming by nature. I bet that trailer videos are more dangerous to our poor eyes than a green-on-blue non flashing HUD display.

Actually people like you are hiding behind these arguments the fact that you are too lazy to assume 100% possible realism (note the word possible). That turns the whole topic ridiculous, especially when we know that real pilots got used to it. Just wait to try it before wanting to reduce the so long awaited realism.

Edited by Bogey Jammer
just for fun

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

What about what BlackLion wrote regarding the AA and Cruise modes being smooth?

They are quite smooth. :)

You can still notice a tiny bit of jumping in the pitch ladder even with the pitch compression in A-A and cruise mode. But it really isn't noticeable.

It really looks just like this video:

After a lot of research and adjustments. :)

The gun pipper is also very smooth, but jumps as part of displaying range to target. Same with the tracking diamond which does not track the target in gun mode, but shows the 1000 yard gun solution. As the range closes, the pipper and diamond will eventually overlap. After a bit more closure, you get the "breakaway warning - X"

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

I don't see a big deal in a not-so-smooth-hud...

if it was in the real plane like this, then i want it in the sim - exactly like this.

we're not playing "call of duty - aircombat fightorzz 25" - this is dcs, here we are simulating as close to the real thing as possible.

and in this way i expect the f14 to be, nothing less.

and judging from the other modules in the past, i assume nothing but the best quality ;)

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

Having an option to disable the inverted flight accumulators in order to push -4g against MiG-28.

And an automatic flat spin recover feature to save my RIO.

AND ... an option to display my girlfriend's picture over the EADI.

:)

That would be a true realistic TOP GUN simulator! :D

Having an option to disable the inverted flight accumulators in order to push -4g against MiG-28.

And an automatic flat spin recover feature to save my RIO.

AND ... an option to display my girlfriend's picture over the EADI.

:)

That would be a true realistic TOP GUN simulator! :D

and the auto-soundtrack, dont forget it! :megalol:

This is a debate over preference.

Half the people arguing against an unrealistically smooth HUD update rate are probably (like me) displeased with the incessant false medical claims that people use to get what they prefer. It's like the gluten free movement, when only a fraction of a percent actually have Celiacs. Show me a motion sickness or seizure concern that is not already grossly overshadowed by the use of head tracking and VR in a game that suffers from frequent FPS shifts and has lots of sudden perspective changes.

What you do in trying to justify every want with a medical need is hinder those with actual medical needs. They end up restricted from certain activities due to their conditions because of so many specious claims requiring special consideration for that condition.

If you just call it like it is and say we want a smooth HUD because we like it aesthetically, fine. But I don't think HB should include it in EA if it could cause any delay or if it would likely introduce additional bugs. If they can easily put it in as an option, sure thing. Have at it. But I'd rather they not have to spend significant time on that option.

Edited by Dino Might

Half the people arguing against an unrealistically smooth HUD update rate are probably (like me) displeased with the incessant false medical claims that people use to get what they prefer. It's like the gluten free movement, when only a fraction of a percent actually have Celiacs. Show me a motion sickness or seizure concern that is not already grossly overshadowed by the use of head tracking and VR in a game that suffers from frequent FPS shifts and has lots of sudden perspective changes.

What you do in trying to justify every want with a medical need is hinder those with actual medical needs. They end up restricted from certain activities due to their conditions because of so many specious claims requiring special consideration for that condition.

If you just call it like it is and say we want a smooth HUD because we like it aesthetically, fine. But I don't think HB should include it in EA if it could cause any delay or if it would likely introduce additional bugs. If they can easily put it in as an option, sure thing. Have at it. But I'd rather they not have to spend significant time on that option.

This is spot on, couldn't agree more with you! :megalol:

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Severe but fair

+1

They are quite smooth. :)

You can still notice a tiny bit of jumping in the pitch ladder even with the pitch compression in A-A and cruise mode. But it really isn't noticeable.

It really looks just like this video:

After a lot of research and adjustments. :)

The gun pipper is also very smooth, but jumps as part of displaying range to target. Same with the tracking diamond which does not track the target in gun mode, but shows the 1000 yard gun solution. As the range closes, the pipper and diamond will eventually overlap. After a bit more closure, you get the "breakaway warning - X"

-Nick

That does look pretty smooth :thumbup:

Wtf , slow refrate in hud wont cause sickness to anybody. Because in reality its still same refrate than your monitor. Hud ”info” is only updated less frequently ..

So heatblur, just make it 100% real , no arcade options.

i did not know that you are a medical expert on everyone on the planet. if you are not, please use "most people" or "some people" next time.

So heatblur, just make it 100% usable by everybody, no exclusion for those that vomit easily.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Show me a motion sickness or seizure concern that is not already grossly overshadowed by the use of head tracking and VR in a game that suffers from frequent FPS shifts and has lots of sudden perspective changes.

thank god you know what you are talkin about.....

its not about vomitig right away, its about discomfort while PLAYING. Playing dcs should be a fun an relaxing experience not something that is strainfull in any way.

i totaly dont get why people are so against this requested OPTION. its not like heatblur forces you to witness a smooth hud....but you want to force people who have problems with the stuttering to endure them.

Why?

it does not take away from any realism that you might want, there is nothing lost here execept the happyness of some people if you dont have such an option.

unless you can prove to me that with such an option, healthy people suffer in any way.

and dont bring in the Bugs/delayed early access argument, because thats no factor. one day or one bug will not affect you as much

Edited by Nero.ger

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

its not about vomitig right away, its about discomfort while PLAYING. Playing dcs should be a fun an relaxing experience not something that is strainfull in any way.

i totaly dont get why people are so against this requested OPTION. its not like heatblur forces you to witness a smooth hud....but you want to force people who have problems with the stuttering to endure them.

Why?

it does not take away from any realism that you might want, there is nothing lost here execept the happyness of some people if you dont have such an option.

unless you can prove to me that with such an option, healthy people suffer in any way.

and dont bring in the Bugs/delayed early access argument, because thats no factor. one day or one bug will not affect you as much

For me its just that DCS is about realism, about simulating the real deal, and with every feature that takes away from that goal and makes this sim more arcady, I become increasingly anxious about the future of this sim. I admit that making the HUD smooth is a minor problem in this regard, compared to others (e.g. skipping of INS alignment and INS drift in the M2000 or the option to get a lock-on indicating pipper for IR missiles in the MiG-21 that is not there IRL), but yet it would be another step away from realism (although a small step) and this scares me :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Why?

You don’t know if it takes a day or a week to implement this option, it doesn’t matter anyway but if you don’t know exactly don’t put a timeframe on it.

Like others said departure from realism in any way is a slippery slope. One small concession isn’t much but where do you stop?

Skip INS align on the M2000?

kh66 on the Mig21bis?

IR reticle in the Mig21?

Am I the loser who has to wait for the A10C INS align when a mirage guy is airborne in under a minute?

What about the F14s low speed characteristics? Maybe simplify these too so people can land easier?

Heatblur just showed of their INS model for the tomcat. Should we add a skip align option on it as well? Maybe a zero drift option to make some people feel happier?

Where do you stop?

Again, there are lots of options available currently for eliminating the jumpy pitch ladder - so I don't see the need for a special feature to address this. :)

The mode with the jumpy pitch ladder is landing mode - which real pilots didn't use much anyway.

The pitch ladder is far smoother in cruise and A-A mode - shouldn't bother anyone.

Lastly, if the pitch ladder is still a bother, you can declutter the HUD and all the remaining elements are quite smooth.

With so many options available for addressing this, I am confused as to why another solution needs to be offered as well?

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

You are requesting an option for something that, you are not even sure is a problem for you yet. You'd have to play the game to know, and without an example of why this would be a problem for you, it feels like you're asking; I'd like you to change this, for a maybe. That's not an honest foundation from which to propose a change. People would respond differently if you were able to say, when I play this module, this happens to me.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

reading some of the comments i can only assume that IF the option is there some people cant help themselfs to use it instead of playing as real as they say they want to.

Or that you feel someone has the advantage in MP.

its the only way i can understand the hostility towards something OPTIONAL, something you DONT HAVE to use if you dont want to.

I hope all those realism fanatics dont dare to play with a TM wartog stick but use the propper F14 stick...you know realism, why stop at the software ;)

+1, im buying the VKB F-14 stick. Day one buy for me!

one thing is the software, another thing is the fact that some people have more modules than just the 'one and only' ;)

I believe that even when there is an option for this implemented ... one does not gain any advantage in MP

I don't quite see the reason why to implement anything, i would foremost love the feel of this old-tech hud ... its appealing to me.

And judging from the video above - its not that bad - isn't it ? :D

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly any aircraft that has things that deviate from the real thing need to have the options enforceable by the servers. Otherwise you are giving unfair advantages to people who want to fly on servers that are pushing full simulation models only for PVP scenarios. I am not against adding them, but please make sure a server can enforce the settings for when you fly on a server. if you want to use things that are not simulation fine do it on a server that allows it or single player, but to not allow a server to enforce is just dumb cause you will always have that one guy who wants to cheat/gain an unfair advantage and not allowing a server to immediately deny the setting makes it much harder to enforce players on pvp servers.

Everyone I've known that was prone to motion sickness/vertigo/epilepsy avoided video games like the plague. In general, I'd say, if you'd have susceptibility to that, you should probably also avoid flight sims. Regardless, I don't really care, except I think it's stupid when folks use "imagine the market you're losing" yeah, all 5-10 people that suffer from epilepsy and vertigo but still play video games against their doctor's recommendations. I'm sure they'll go belly up without them @@

-edit

As for the personal preference folks, yeah, don't really care what your "personal preference" is. I'd prefer to have a hook on the Hawk to substitute for the Goshawk, but that notion got shot down pretty fast :) Personal preferences are largely irrelevant here. It's a simulation. Drag and drop HUD options are that way ---->

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
For me its just that DCS is about realism, about simulating the real deal, and with every feature that takes away from that goal and makes this sim more arcady, I become increasingly anxious about the future of this sim. I admit that making the HUD smooth is a minor problem in this regard, compared to others (e.g. skipping of INS alignment and INS drift in the M2000 or the option to get a lock-on indicating pipper for IR missiles in the MiG-21 that is not there IRL), but yet it would be another step away from realism (although a small step) and this scares me :(

I don't really care for the realism. I just want to fly around alone or possibly with some friends and have fun with the virtual toys within this game. I don't care whether anyone else flies a full fidelity aircraft or any of the much more simplified FC3 planes. To me, all of these "realism" vs "fun" aspects could be as simple as the label vs no label debate.

I was a long time label user, as I had a hard time of getting into the game. The learning curve was so steep that I had issues looking away from my hud to track threats. Today, I generally don't use it anymore, but I do have some friends who simply will not play without them. Some out of simple preferences, some due to lack of experience within the game, and some due to poor vision. Heck, sometimes even I use it if I experience eye strain and cannot focus well enough. Most competitive online servers for obvious reasons force labels off with its global server settings and that is absolutely fine, just as it "should" be. That said, it's still nice to have the option to use the labels in your own lobby, on your own terms, with your own friends. I promote having options, options of all kinds, and I do not mind straying away from hardcore realism for the sake of enjoyment and accessibility. If I want to let people use labels on my server, it should be my decision. If I want to allow people to use quick-start options for the A-10C, it should be my decision, if I want people on my server to not be allowed to fly FC3 Aircraft, that is my decision.

I promote having all kind of options, but also promote the possibility of having global server settings, capable of overriding most, if not all local settings. You should be able to fly on a server with settings you enjoy and if you cannot find one - host one yourself for you and your friends.