Cougar replacement gimbal

debolestis

I was wondering how these are holding up. I have a Cougar rig that is pretty well worn and was trying to find a solution before having a go at designing my own. I have enough to do getting the F-14 stick I built from scratch up and running, lol.

But I am very interested in trying this out on my one Cougar, so I thought I would ask.

Mine have worked fine until I sold it 2 months ago. Only issue that I had was broken spring and that was easy fix. Keep on mind that this gimbal is light in the center and some dead zone is needed.

Now I am trying to print complete gimbal with CAM mechanism. Version 1 was good, but it needs some improvements.

BrmO34y.jpg

ODX6kKO.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi, i sent you a PM on the facebook page. Time to do something with my Cougar set. One broken O.E. gimbal and a throttle that is crazy loose and over greased by previous owner. I like the look of your base. Lots of wasted room in the original.

I'm hoping to use the original electronics boards as they seem fine. I can't get hold of much stuff where I am, very limited on availability in hardware stores. Hope you are well. Following your page intently.

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

• 4 weeks later...

I've literally just finished putting mine together. Test run as my sensors from gvl224 aren't here yet.

First impressions are a silky smooth feel, really nice, but as said, not really much self centering at all. it also has no damping force at all so will wobble freely for several seconds.

I'm really only doing it to rescue a classic, with no intention of using it much myself. Good luck on the Cam action one, it should solve those problems.

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

I am still using mine. I have a modded one, and a worn stock one. I am very interested in this project. Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I've literally just finished putting mine together. Test run as my sensors from gvl224 aren't here yet.

First impressions are a silky smooth feel, really nice, but as said, not really much self centering at all. it also has no damping force at all so will wobble freely for several seconds.

I'm really only doing it to rescue a classic, with no intention of using it much myself. Good luck on the Cam action one, it should solve those problems.

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately I cannot make a CAM version, there is not enough space inside for something more that can be done with 3D printers.

Hey Debolestis, have you found a place to buy this female mini DIN connector? I have been looking forever for this damn connector.

ODX6kKO.jpg

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Sadly, no. These are DIN connectors, but its a 5 pin Mini DIN. I have found similiar ones with longer brackets, but the original is only 28x15 mm wide. I have searched everywhere for these...

It looks like this:

IMG-20200715-150755.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 1 month later...

Anyone doing the mod using original board and GVL224's sensors, may I recommend you take a note.

Brown wire on sensor wiring, if you snip the pots and put the contacts directly onto the O.E. wires, marked as PIN 1 is directly linked to the RED wire on the USB input plug. It's the 5V feed. This goes closest to the Blue box on the GVL board.

Red wire, in the middle on the PCB, is the Signal wire. This goes furthest from the Blue box on the GVL224 board.

Orange Wire, No 3 on the Cougar board, is the earth and goes on the middle pin of the GVL224 board.

Get it right and remember the blue boxes are set accurately and shouldn't be twiddled with. I made that mistake...Doh.

Mark.

Thanks for taking the time to advise, thank you.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up

An sim colleague have bad luck with Shapeways printed parts, their 3D print gimbal last around 6 mounts. The attachment area for the spring support bolt broken:

Shapeways-Cougar-part-1.jpg

Shapeways-Cougar-part-2.jpg

Due the crazy global situation, a local made

replacement cost less than print another piece in Shapeways.

This things happen, and I am sorry for that. But this is plastic gimbal and this can happen, that is why we have 3d printing and parts can be replaced. I understand that Shapeays company has been raising prices and shipping as well, but I cannot do anything about that. Also shipping to countries like Brazil is insane.

I would help and print parts on my printer and send them to Brazil but my prints are not strong as nylon parts from Shapeways' laser printers.

Edited by debolestis

• 1 month later...

How do people generally handle fine-tuning of the centering with designs like this? I've created and printed something similar to this design but presumably the springs all have slightly different spring forces as the stick is pulled a bit more to one side than the other. The only option I can think of is to rotate one of the springs a little more or a little less than the other to add/reduce tension on one spring.

Henry

• 3 weeks later...

So the feedback on this generally is that there is a bit of slop in the center? Im actually experiencing this free floating slop with my Uber 2 mod, and since it appears that one of my hall sensors is questionable, i need to come up with a solution, and this option is still on the table.

Uncertain whether this applies, but.....all Cougar sticks ship with a bit of center slop resulting from poor fit of the stick shell to the main gimbal shaft. The stick shell actually has a bit of loose wabble about the shaft. The shell is secured to the shaft inside the shell by a semi-circular bracket and 2 bolts, one through the shell exterior and one inside the shell. A small flat aluminum shim on the interior bolt at the bracket hole will eliminate that source of center play.

Thanks for the feedback guys

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the dumb Q.

Can I use stock parts(pcb and pots) from Cougar  and just buy this part 1~4 plus bolts and spring?

Roll gimbal with my Cougar snapped last night and I am looking for some cheap  and EASY solution..

Thanks

Best'

Kim

18 minutes ago, Mudspike said:

Can I use stock parts(pcb and pots) from Cougar  and just buy this part 1~4 plus bolts and spring?

No, this gimbal is not designed for use the original potentiometers.

But replacing pots with, for example, GVL224 ~$10 MagRez sensor, easy to fit in gimbal you upgrade Cougar, having more extend life cycle. Sensors don't wear out like pots.