Video Review - DCS Yak-52

AcroGimp

Finally had a chance to fly the Yak-52 again.

I stand behind the bulk of my previous statements and critiques - what ED has gotten right they got really right, sounds with a couple noticeable exceptions, visual model, etc., most of the aerobatic performance and handling is close.

There are major issues with drag when configured, airspeed under specific power settings are off, and the rudder trim issue which has been commented on ad nauseum.

Specifically when configured for landing the drag for gear and flaps seem to be very off, should not require essentially full power to maintain level flight.

I trust this will mature into a very fun and useful module and hope the critique is taken in the spirit it is intended.

Happy to answer questions and appreciate suggestions for the video.

I will record a separate video on advanced spins and aerobatics later when I have more time.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMFA-122)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

Regarding your start technique with the mags on before pressing start, is that the correct way?.

I use to press the start button and when it catches i move it to both on the mags and it starts pretty fast.

In the real plane you do NOT move the Mags switch until the engine is running, the starter switch energizes the start solenoid that lets high pressure air into the start spider and into the cylinders in sequence, it also energizes the 'shower of sparks' which bypasses the magnetos and makes all the plugs active with extra impulses for a good start.

In DCS I haven't mapped the Mags switch to HOTAS and need to move the switch prior to the starter button.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMFA-122)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

In the real plane you do NOT move the Mags switch until the engine is running, the starter switch energizes the start solenoid that lets high pressure air into the start spider and into the cylinders in sequence, it also energizes the 'shower of sparks' which bypasses the magnetos and makes all the plugs active with extra impulses for a good start.

In DCS I haven't mapped the Mags switch to HOTAS and need to move the switch prior to the starter button.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMFA-122)

I see, that is what i suspected. Thanks for the real pilot input :thumbup:

Good video - thanks!

I too fly a 52, but in the UK, and tend to agree with most of your observations. I particularly have issues with the lightness of controls vs real life, along with for me a massive pitch up when deploying the flaps. Normally when flying the circuit, I will turn base, deploy the flaps and set prop fully fine straight away. Prior to that my RPM and MP are normally synced around 60%/60 entering the circuit with the usual throttle tweaks etc. Therefore, the contrast of flap drag when at low RPM for me is enormous in this sim and I find myself pointing at the sky. Luckily this does not happen to me in real flight!

I was taught to fly the circuit like that a good few years back now, so would prefer not to change for the sake of the sim.

Other minor niggles:-

The flap hiss is not as loud as the gear hiss and I feel in reality they are much more alike;

The brake lever does not move quickly enough, nor do the brakes work as quickly as in real life. The brakes are normally pumped in short sharp bursts which isn't being replicated properly in the sim;

As mentioned in the video, when cycling the prop in the run-up the RPM is way too slow to react;

Prop braking effect not apparent.....that is effectively an 8ft diameter air brake when fully fine and it is very noticeable on final approach in real life but not in the sim - along with light controls I find myself getting into mild oscillations trying to keep steady on finals (maybe my cheap joystick...?)

No doubt will add to the list as I get a few more sorties under my belt.

On the plus side the cockpit and external model are really great and most of the sounds too.

AMD FX-8370 -16Gb RAM - GTX970 - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for your impressions and feedback guys!

It's precious info, especially as both of you noticed similar discrepancies based on your own experience with the Yak.

It really helps enjoying the module in a more educated manner and better awareness.

Speaking of control devices, I'd strongly suggest a precise control stick in the center position and stick extension (VKB-Sim Gunfighter, Warthog + extension, VirPil base + extension + grip, etc.).

A side desktop basic joystick just can't provide the same amount of accuracy and control you would achieve in the real Yak. That's definitely part of the experience.

Can't wait for the next videos. Basic instruction, tips, and/or impressions will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Speaking of control devices, I'd strongly suggest a precise control stick in the center position and stick extension (VKB-Sim Gunfighter, Warthog + extension, VirPil base + extension + grip, etc.).

A side desktop basic joystick just can't provide the same amount of accuracy and control you would achieve in the real Yak. That's definitely part of the experience.

I don't agree. After many years I've exchanged my Thrustmaster T16000M with a new one and I can only imagine that there are just equally recise joysticks. It's a super combo with the VKB pedals.

A really big advantage is that the T16000M can be configured for left hand use :)

If the stick isn't the same size/lenght and it doesn't have control loading, it can never come even close to a real Yak ;)

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Just checked the very detailed German manual and interestingly it says to fly the final turn with flaps up and at only 160km/h.

Once landing is assured and on final (not below 150m) extend the flaps.

When to extend the flaps is IMO simply a personal choice and it also depends on the planned ROD. (If you are high you can e.g. extend the flaps instead of slipping)

Given the fact that they create such a high amount of drag, I'd delay the extension as long as possible.

Btw, the manual also mentions a nose up moment which can be easily countered with a 'light' push.

edit: just checked a different English manual an it also stated to extend the flaps (if at all desired) on final.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

A question to the real pilots:

When do you deploy flaps on landing?

- in the DCS training mission they say on final.

- This video suggests before turning on base.

- YAK-one suggests on base leg.

I'm a little confused here.

Thanks!

OurPOH actually says extend flaps on final, but I always do it on base with my almost simultaneous prop forward to fully fine. I guess it's not crucial, and our hangar has three Yak 52's, each owned by syndicates, and each with their own particular and often peculiar procedures -always prompting healthy debates.

I've attached a diagram from our operating handbook....

Circuits in Yak 52.pdf

AMD FX-8370 -16Gb RAM - GTX970 - Oculus Rift CV1

A lot of when to do what is personal preference and cockpit management, for example i was taught in the Cessna to deploy 20 degree flaps on base and 30 for final and to of done the Breaks, undercarriage, mixture, fuel etc checks on downwind.

however in a non standard approach or when inbound for an airport in say class C airspace i might delay the flaps until im almost over the fresh hold due to the longer runway and traffic that might be behind me.

Good job i did that as i had an Embraer on my butt-side on a 6 mile final.