FEATURE REQUEST: Differential Braking for SU-25T

Ultra

• ED Team
I'll test it out later.

I haven't flown it in a long time. I was getting back into it and came in crooked on landing, then realized I couldn't use the brakes to straighten her out. :D

I know the manual talks about that, that you must disengage the brakes to straighten yourself out, so not sure if thats how the real one is, or if thats just a tip for the sim.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

OK so.... I did a few landings and switched to F2 while I was rolling to see the results. On normal landing it seems that the nose wheel is unlocked at any speed and is controlled by the rudder as usual. I'm not sure if there's a button to lock it or if you're supposed to.

To test the differential braking, I blew the tire on the nose wheel and tried turning at high speed. The turning ability was greatly reduced. This makes me believe that in the sim the nose wheel is reponsible for turning on the ground and there is little or no differential braking help. But overall it's sort of hard to tell for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

The real Su-25 has no differential braking. Turning is done as depicted in the sim by operating the front wheel using pedals. However IRL you can lock the front wheel (you have a switch in the cockpit for that - UPR KOLES above landing gear/flaps indicator) - simulator does not allow you to lock the front wheel.

The real Su-25 has no differential braking. Turning is done as depicted in the sim by operating the front wheel using pedals. However IRL you can lock the front wheel (you have a switch in the cockpit for that - UPR KOLES above landing gear/flaps indicator) - simulator does not allow you to lock the front wheel.

Are you sure? The fact that brakes are engaged using a single lever does not mean there's no differential braking. There can be a proportional distribution valve distributing specific pressure to braking cylinders of each wheel based on the position of rudder pedals. I don't have any specific info on the braking system of Su-25 but if I had to guess this would be my bet.

What gives you the impression there's no differential braking in the DCS module?

On Su-25T brakes - toe pedals do not work by design, because on the real airplane the breaks are on a stick (a lever I guess, or a button). Differential braking is achieved by using rudder input+the brake command. Hope this helps.

If I'm right with what I wrote above the quote would also indicate that the in-game implementation is not complete [if there's no brake axis to assign].

I'm going to check with the reference material on Su-22. They both should share the same solution.

Edited by Bucic

I must apologize, there is a differential brake in RL Su-25A, I've consulted with a former Su-25 technician today who I work with. Differential brakes are controlled by depressing the pedals as there is no central brake lever on a stick (only emergency brake as a switch), thus the feature is indeed missing. Sorry once more for misleading information.

Pilot's manual of Su-25 states that the aircraft should be controlled during first half of takeoff run by differential brakes and steerable frontwheel, in the second half of the run only by the rudder. It also states that steering wheel should be locked before landing.

Edited by Dr_Arrow
  • Like 1