Preflight and pre-startup systems test run - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Eaglewings

Default Preflight and pre-startup systems test run

Hardly ever run those test for the modules I have and I would fly my aircrafts normally all the time. With exception of times when I want to bask in euphoria of realism, those switches are just reductant.

Would we ever get consequences for failing to run those systems tests during startup?
We the scope of the new damage model address this a increase the realism.?
Eaglewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglewings View Post
Would we ever get consequences for failing to run those systems tests during startup?
Why should you? If you e.g. don't perform the fire warning test IRL there are no consequences either, except the bad feeling that you don't know if it works when you need it.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
NeilWillis
Veteran

They're there so you can do it correctly. You can shortcut everything - but that's entirely up to you. Of course, you can also run DCS World with random failures - so maybe the checks will save your virtual life some day if you do?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
They're there so you can do it correctly. You can shortcut everything - but that's entirely up to you. Of course, you can also run DCS World with random failures - so maybe the checks will save your virtual life some day if you do?
A bit more craving for deeper realism on side here.
Never really tried the random failures option. Got to try that out and see.

Cheers.
Eaglewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 AM   #5
zhukov032186

If you have random system failures enabled then yes, there are (rare) consequences. I've had ''bugs'' that miraculously disappeared on respawn. I always try to watch for abnormalities during startup.

...you never tried the random failures and are surprised there's no point to preflight checks?

Last edited by zhukov032186; 10-02-2019 at 04:03 AM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
...you never tried the random failures and are surprised there's no point to preflight checks?
the random failures are a nice feature, but last time i checked they only worked in SP, which is a shame.
also i would like to see the option to have switches in different position each time you enter a cockpit. this would apply only to switches were it was plausible for them to be in a different position (ground weapon override maybe not so much...).
Old 10-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
Tippis

The only one where it matters (of sorts) is in the Mirage, where you get a nagging warning light if you don't run the FBW tests before take-off. But that's also the only consequence: a warning light.
Tippis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
hazzer

This is lacking in all aircraft. Eg the piston planes you can run on idle forever, irl the mags would fowl, the engine would run rough and eventually cut out, rich cuts carb icing. Non of it happens
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Harlikwin
Veteran

Yeah, its not done very well for most planes. So you can do the 4 button startup on most planes.

I go back on forth on the random failure thing for online use. Yes it adds realism, but for alot of guys, spending 20 minutes getting in the air, only to have to do some emergency procedure because of random failure would piss alot of people who don't have hours and hours of time to spend on it.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Yeah, its not done very well for most planes. So you can do the 4 button startup on most planes.

I go back on forth on the random failure thing for online use. Yes it adds realism, but for alot of guys, spending 20 minutes getting in the air, only to have to do some emergency procedure because of random failure would piss alot of people who don't have hours and hours of time to spend on it.

This!

And you might find a failure much quicker if you just start and take off even if you fall out of the skies, than doing the whole tests. But for realism it is ok. Servers should show very clearly that they use random failures though.
Tom Kazansky is online now   Reply With Quote