[REPORTED] Sidewinder AIM-9M UNCAGE in HUD

imacken

I couldn't see a report for this already, so...

From what I can see, the UNCAGE button isn't working at all on the Viper.

1) When the missile is in BORE mode, it does not uncage when the button is pressed.

2) The seeker is automatically uncaged to the target when locked by radar.

Now, although 2) is correct as per the manual, on another thread, someone with F-16 real life experience stated this behaviour was wrong, and that he had been in discussion with ED.

Similarly, he stated 1) was a bug as well.

Easily demonstrated by loading the AIM-9M IA mission in Nevada.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Unable to reproduce? If you go into any sidewinder mission, you can see that the seeker is uncaged to the radar target without pressing the uncage button when in SLAVE mode.

In addition when in BORE mode, the seeker head doesn't uncage at all if the uncage button is pressed.

This has been confirmed by a F-16 pilot to be wrong in both cases.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Here is a track showing the issue.

I lock the target with boresight in ACM DGFT. With the missile in BORE mode, I keep pressing uncage, but as you can see, the seeker head doesn't change. Throughout, I swap with SLAVE mode, and there the seeker uncages to the target, yet each time I go back to BORE and press uncage, it doesn't move. Just remains fixed to the boresight.

Thanks NL. It was a member with real life experience, who stated categorically in another thread that the uncage behaviour was wrong in DCS Viper, both the SLAVE and BORE modes.

• ED Team

Hello,

To say, "the UNCAGE button isn't working at all on the Viper" is not accurate. Tests show it works perfectly well in with the HMCS. Please, please be accurate in all reporting. We will take a look at this other circumstance.

Thanks

Sorry about that guys, I didn't think about the HMCS! I meant in normal HUD mode. Works fine with the HMCS.

On the other issue I mentioned, is it correct for the missile to automatically uncage to the radar target when in SLAVE mode? Our F-16 pilot says that is not correct, and uncaging should still be required.

Have you guys had a chance to look at this yet?

This is still not working after today's update.

Any news on whether this has been reported guys?

Hey, I noticed the uncage behaves wired. Uncage not response in ACM bore mode, auto-uncage after radarlock. Besides, I can not active ACM bore/vertical after lock break in DGFT mode every single time, which is tagged [unable to reproduce], too

Thanks, but it's not that. Basically the uncage button doesn't work without the HMCS being switched on.

Look at my track, or just run one of the sidewinder IA missions in Nevada, keep the HMCS off, switch the missile to BORE, lock a target, press the uncage button, and.... nothing, the seeker head remains caged.

Dear Sirs,

Definitely, the current implementation of sidewinder ungage function is incomplete when HMCS is not used.

One thing that I realised is that when the heat source is very strong (toward the sun) the uncage is possible and missile diamond goes randomly.

I agree with Imacken, that is not the case when pointing missile diamond to the target aircraft and command uncage, i.e. the missile diamond doesn't follow the target aircraft (no radar lock-on).

Best regards,

falconbr

Edited by falconbr

Guys, can we keep to the topic and post other sidewinder issues - and there are a few - in other threads.

Let’s keep this to uncage not working when not using HMCS.

Sidewinder Uncage and Aspect Angle Issues

I've posted on these issues before, but the aspect angle thread got ignored, and NL/Wags' said they woiuld look at the uncage sidewinder issue but didn't get back in the end, so I'm trying again to get a response.

1) Basically, uncage does not work with the sidewinder in bore mode unless the HMCS is used. The attached track shows this. Starts in DGFT mode, no HMCS, SLAVE is OK, get a high pitched lock tone. Switch to BORE mode, and uncage does nothing except increase the size of the missile diamond and lock is lost when target is off the bore sight.

In the track, you can see that whenever I activate the HMCS in BORE mode, I press uncage and target is locked perfectly.

2) Aspect angle issue is shown perfectly in the track, you can see that it starts off OK in the 20L type format, but then goes into a numeric format, e.g. 18, 34 etc., and then goes back to the correct format.

Some feedback from ED woiuld be appreciated here. Thank you.

Er... Mods, The above post has nothing to do with the rest of the thread, its to do with Sidewinder functionality. This thread is about caged FPM (Flight Path Marker) behaviour.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

+1!

My (other thread starting) post above that got moved here is totally unrelated to the topic.

As Deano said, mine is about sidewinder behaviour and aspect angle not displaying correctly. Nothing to do with FPM behaviour at all!

As my post #17 here has now been moved again, but this time to an appropriate thread, the above 2 posts will be confusing to anyone looking on here, so please ignore them.

It would be good to get a response from ED on these issues. Not sure why it is proving difficult to get this thread appropriately marked.

Guys, I think we have discovered the problem - ED don't know the difference between the Caged FPM and the Caged Sidewinder seeker :helpsmilie:... :blush:.

But seriously - I have noticed the seeker won't uncage and follow the heat source lately either. Just checked my mapping and the UNCAGE Switch is still mapped properly.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]