Default Labels Settings

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I need help in understanding the Labels settings in open beta.

I want to use "Dot Only" - in my understanding this is just a dot on all airplanes, vehicles, ships... without any information.

But when I select this setting in the gameplay settings I still can see different symbols and distance info when trying it with a selfmade Labels test mission. (Mission settings do not force any labels)

It feels like these settings are just dummies at the moment?

Thank you

PS: I already tried with fiddling around with the Labels.lua but without much success, so I thought the setting in options comes handy... if it would work.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Just checked, yes it is activated.

check the mission too. there is a overriding check box that is saved with the mission.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3390851&postcount=4

short but good explanation.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I also tried full labels, but it always stays with a symbol like ^ and distance... It is quite some time since I fiddled with the lua, but maybe a mod of my own was surviving all updates since this time...

Is there a way to get a new DEFAULT labels.lua without complete reinstall?

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I also tried full labels, but it always stays with a symbol like ^ and distance... It is quite some time since I fiddled with the lua, but maybe a mod of my own was surviving all updates since this time...

Is there a way to get a new DEFAULT labels.lua without complete reinstall?

Yes, go into bin folder of main install directory (DCS/bin) from command prompt and enter...

dcs_updater.exe cleanup

And then

dcs_updater.exe repair

This is my labels file. Dots are smaller and they fade in and out as you get closer. Distance setting is adjusted for me... for ground attacks but you can adjust them yourself. Should give you a starting point. You should be able to see how I setup dots fade in and out. Oh and I think I reversed blue and red color as I fly Russian mostly now. You can just change it back.

Labels.lua

Edited by Taz1004

Yes, go into bin folder of main install directory (DCS/bin) from command prompt and enter...

dcs_updater.exe cleanup

And then

dcs_updater.exe repair

This is my labels file. Dots are smaller and they fade in and out as you get closer. Distance setting is adjusted for me... for ground attacks but you can adjust them yourself. Should give you a starting point. You should be able to see how I setup dots fade in and out. Oh and I think I reversed blue and red color as I fly Russian mostly now. You can just change it back.

Your config works awesome! Thank you very much!

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

This is just FYI. Towards the top of labels.lua is the symbol for each type. You can start Character Map from Windows, choose DejaVu Sans (in game font) from the top, then choose any character. You're not limited to symbols on your keyboard. You can make it a happy face if you want. Need to increase font size however. I think I set it very low in the lua.

Give this a try, imo its the most realistic label mod out there and sometrhing ED should seriously consider adding!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309620/

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9