The Vietnam War Server PvE

Miles Vorkosigan

Brians Edit to ECWS Logo.png

We would like to welcome everyone to our new and improved Vietnam War server. 

The server includes these aircraft for use:

A-4E-C Skyhawk. A completely community developed module for DCS. This module is FREE. This mod is required.

F-5E Tiger II 

F-86F Sabre

UH-1H Huey for ground attack, troop transport and CSAR.  Hueys are a major part of our server.

We are also using other aircraft to stand in for those that are not yet available:

To fill the ground attack role that was usually tasked to the A-1 Skyraider we are using:

P-47D Thunderbolt

P-51 D Mustang

Aviojet C-101 for Recon and CAS

Ground commander is available as well

Our server has been updated with four custom missions.

Three are a (sort of) recreation of a battle during the Tet Offensive of 1968. They are:
The Battle of Hue

The Battle of Saigon

The Battle of Khe Sanh. 

The fourth mission are strikes along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. 

Each mission has a heavy emphasis on ground attack although there are a lot of unfriendly Migs trying to keep you from completing your assigned tasks. Both the Mig-21 and the Mig-19 (stand in for the Mig-17) are up there somewhere....so keep your head on a swivel. 

We are using a custom Moose.lua which allows not only the basic features of TASK assignments from the HQ but also the ability to call for smoke on the target's last location. As well as MIST.lua for use of Ciribob's CTLD and CSAR scripts. 

VR Friendly (Dots only labels)

SrS enabled

Join the server discord for up to date information and voice comms, etc.

https://discord.gg/C5C3Kw3

Every Sunday we host a group co-op mission in based around the F-86 Sabre or the Vietnam Era. Everyone is welcome to join us for these missions. Details about the missions are in Discord under the Sunday Group Co-op Mission channel. 

Edited by Miles Vorkosigan
  • Like 1

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS (let me know what you find that needs to be fixed)

Using an edited version of Surrexen's Operation Clear Fields (with permission) the Vietnam War server is focused on the U.S. and ARVN aircraft A-4C and F-5E as well as Huey missions. There are Mig-21s and Mig-19s to fly but not much for them to do right now. I included them if people want to do PvP as a group.

You can call for targets via the F-10 menu, CAS, SEAD, Strike, CAP, etc. There is a lot to do in the server.

VR Friendly (Dots only labels)

SrS enabled

Join the server discord for up to date information and voice comms, etc.

https://discord.gg/C5C3Kw3

From the server:

Screen_200412_231929.png

MiG-19P_003.jpg

Nice!

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Definitely a work in progress. I hope that you enjoy it. Let me know if things are out of wack.

It will take me a long time to do the house cleaning such as renaming the mission objectives to reflect the actual ground units. Some mission want you to attack T90 tanks that are now T72s or T55s, etc.

I am still working on getting Blue CAP to spawn to give human migs something to do.

This is an excellent resource for the Tiger:

https://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info

Looks like both the USAF and RVNAF only used AIM-9Bs on Tigers. :(

Hopefully a Mig driver doesn’t come along and prove R-60s were used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Wikipedia R-60 production started in 1973. It may have reached N. Vietnam before the end of the war in 1975.

That does not mean that the scenario must represent the last day of the war. Our Mig21bis is a post Vietnam model anyway, so balancing restrictions are legit. This is especially true since the US side is missing its most significant planes: F4, F8 (supposedly modeling is in progress), A6.

The KH-66 Grom entered service in 1968 (wiki). I have no idea if it was used by N. Vietnam in the war or if older Mig21 models could even carry it.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

The KH-66 Grom entered service in 1968 (wiki). I have no idea if it was used by N. Vietnam in the war or if older Mig21 models could even carry it.

Most importantly the real MiG-21Bis cannot carry it, so using it in DCS is extremly unrealistic. In Vietnam the Kh-66 might have been used, at least north Vietnam had them at some point and it was actually developed due to the Vietnam War.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I am working on updating the munitions available on the Vietnam server. An update messed up the warehouses, etc. Here is a list of munitions that I am making available. Let me know if there is something that should be added (with a link to a reference).

AA Missiles: Sidewinder AIM-9, GAR-8

AG Missiles: AGM-45A Shrike

AG Rockets: FFAR M156 WP, MK1 HE, MK5 HEAT, HVARx2

AG Bombs: 250lb/500lb Bomb MK IV, AN-M65, M117, MK-20 (Cluster), Mk-77 Mod 0/1 (Napalm), Mk-81, MK-82 (Base/SnakeEye/Air), MK-83

Note: The Stennis, for some reason, does not have all munitions available. This includes the MK-77 Napalm bombs.

The Theodore Roosevelt has been reset to use different Nav channels. TACAN is now 73X, ILS channel 8 and Radio frequency of 137.5 (radios do not work in the A-4 anyway)

Added a threat circle map to briefing images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Sunday (July 26th) at 19:00 UTC we are holding a large co-op event. We already have 25 pilots signed up to fly featuring the A-4 Skyhawk and the F-5 Tigershark. We have 13 A-4 pilots, 11 F-5 pilots and one pilot who will be flying a P-51 as our Forward Air Controller. There are 6-7 others who are "maybe". If you are interested in joining in on the mission jump into the Discord (listed on the first page) and sign up. Do not forget to update your A-4 install to the latest 1.4 release.

BAT_23_Mission_Brief.png

I should have asked to join you guys for the big mission, but I wasn't ready yet.

While the server was down, I practiced with a copy of the mission from my last multiplayer track files. I am now somewhat proficient with the A-4E and the F10 functions available on the server. I can use the navigation computer as well as use Mk82s and guns. I still need to practice offline to dial in my sight depression for bombs and play with rockets. But I can use VAICOM to get target information and find my way back to the carrier and use SRS to monitor/talk with other players with only slight modifications to my normal control mappings.

I haven't tried flying the F-5 or MiG-21 on this server yet. The A-4E flying from carriers is clearly is the star of the show, so that is what I am flying. While I love historical environments and missions, I can't help but fly missions in the blue angels skin.

But last night was rough. I kept messing up startup/takeoff. First, I left the ground power on, so it was flying formation with me. Then I forgot to hook onto the carrier, so I drove off the bow into the water. Then I had another player next to me trying to figure out how to use the A-4 with the carrier deck, so he bounced all over, exploded, and knocked me off the deck. My next flight, I flipped the wrong toggle switch (flying VR) and didn't check the cockpit indications, so I flew halfway to the target before realizing my gear was stuck down. I couldn't drop my bombs on the target normally because of the gear down safety. But I dumped them using the emergency bomb handle and was able to land on the deck for repairs, refueling, and rearming. After all of that, I finally got everything right and was approaching the point where I was going to turn into the coast to approach my objective about 20 miles away when a player-flown MiG-21 shot me down. At that point, I realized it was 1:30 AM and went to bed because I get up at 6:00 AM to go to work.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
I should have asked to join you guys for the big mission, but I wasn't ready yet.

While the server was down, I practiced with a copy of the mission from my last multiplayer track files. I am now somewhat proficient with the A-4E and the F10 functions available on the server. I can use the navigation computer as well as use Mk82s and guns. I still need to practice offline to dial in my sight depression for bombs and play with rockets. But I can use VAICOM to get target information and find my way back to the carrier and use SRS to monitor/talk with other players with only slight modifications to my normal control mappings.

I haven't tried flying the F-5 or MiG-21 on this server yet. The A-4E flying from carriers is clearly is the star of the show, so that is what I am flying. While I love historical environments and missions, I can't help but fly missions in the blue angels skin.

But last night was rough. I kept messing up startup/takeoff. First, I left the ground power on, so it was flying formation with me. Then I forgot to hook onto the carrier, so I drove off the bow into the water. Then I had another player next to me trying to figure out how to use the A-4 with the carrier deck, so he bounced all over, exploded, and knocked me off the deck. My next flight, I flipped the wrong toggle switch (flying VR) and didn't check the cockpit indications, so I flew halfway to the target before realizing my gear was stuck down. I couldn't drop my bombs on the target normally because of the gear down safety. But I dumped them using the emergency bomb handle and was able to land on the deck for repairs, refueling, and rearming. After all of that, I finally got everything right and was approaching the point where I was going to turn into the coast to approach my objective about 20 miles away when a player-flown MiG-21 shot me down. At that point, I realized it was 1:30 AM and went to bed because I get up at 6:00 AM to go to work.

Meanwhile I was curious about the F-4, spawned on the Roosevelt, brakes weren't on by default - kept sliding backwards and bouncing off the deck crew. Whatever they're made of, they should really strap them to the F-4s or make a plane out of them.