CAT I / CAT III Implementation

Archaic

@Snake122

I've made a video for you showing the CATI vs CATIII effect:

Search on YouTube "F-16 CATI / CATIII roll departure protection (Dee-Jay for Snake122)" ... it should be visible for now.

So yes, the CatIII position is preventing departures in DCS!
I don't know. I'll do the test, but CATIII is currently bugged. Its roll rate on max deflection is about half of what it should be.
Edited by Dee-Jay

So it takes a lot of weight to require CAT III. So in terms of g loading available, you're going to be full up, to whatever you could normally pull up to 16-18 AOA, which is basically a limiter pull, so theoretically, you have the whole range available depending on speed. As the pilot you would be required to limit the g's manually based on configuration according to the limits called out for a specific config. Those specific configs and limits are in the dash 1.

From what I've read, switch does not do anything to lessen the severity of a departure. if you actually depart controlled flight. Like you said, It's trying to limit your ability to put the jet in a flight condition that would result in the departure in the first place.

I'm talking real world. Which could be different from how it's modeled right now in DCS.

Edited by 000rick000

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

Snake122, yes, I would also like to eventually see some damage modeling if you exceed the stores limit G tolerence. Although it might be hard to model that kind of thing in terms of realism. It could range from structural fatigue to physical breakage in reality. You may not "see" anything but structurally, the airframe would be fatigued, depending on amount of limit exceeded. I think a simplified model would actually work better for the environment of the sim, and that would be something like with the MiG-21 centerline tank, where the stores break free if you exceed the limit. Maybe give it a 1.25 buffer. The real issue is that you would have to produce a stores config section for all stores configs with their limit and CAT I/III requirement similar to the dash 1. Otherwise no one would know what to use.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut