Multiple Keys PTT for Discord

Nagilem

Strange problem here, I have a warthog stick, throttle, and 3 of the MFDs. I have mapped discord to use my throttle comm hat down (button 4). That works fine, however, button 4 on every other device - stick, and all 3 mfds also trigger the PTT for discord.

Anybody know a way to force discord to only use my throttle only for PTT?

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Discord is not looking for a "Button 4"(DX4) push form TMWH Throttle. It's looking for a DX4 from Windows. Discord does not differentiate controllers like DCS does.

If you use TARGET, your controllers will be combined into one virtual controller and only DX4 button push could be assigned.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

If you use TARGET, your controllers will be combined into one virtual controller and only DX4 button push could be assigned.

But OP use "warthog stick, throttle, and 3 of the MFDs", this combined will not surpass TARGET 32 buttons (8 axes, 1 POV HAT) limit?

Anybody know a way to force discord to only use my throttle only for PTT?

An (awkward) option is assign a key for Discord PTT an use TARGET for set throttle button #4 for press this key, or if don't want use TARGET, use JoyTokey that use less resources than TARGET.

But OP use "warthog stick, throttle, and 3 of the MFDs", this combined will not surpass TARGET 32 buttons (8 axes, 1 POV HAT) limit?

I have Throttle , Stick, and 2 MFDs and use a custom .tmh for 120 DX buttons. Not mention the keyboard mapping that can be applied.

Use this link to see how.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171098

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

My squad uses SRS but sometimes Discord to communicate in the jet so having another key on a keyboard for discord isn't an option - I fly VR and cannot see the keyboard to make another key press happen.

I agree with SGT Coyle - It uses the generic GamePad4 device for mapping PTT so any device with gamepad 4 has the issue. Thankfully that is a fairly unused OSB on the MFDs and the Recce button on my stick so this isn't a huge deal. Just annoying and frustrating ;).

I don't use target because Ive had numerous problems with buttons being intermittent in game. I use direct DX commands in DCS and that has been working fine, but it is limiting. I am trying to understand LUA better to see if I can make things work more consistently / better. This also has the fun of having my config overwritten every patch….

I havent see joytokey before. I may have to see if that could help map 1 key to solve the issue. I am trying to avoid adding more software to solve the problem because I already have a ton that runs. After a while I'll need the full page check list just to open DCS!:megalol:

I'll keep digging around and see if I can come up with another answer.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Try setting the Warthog Throttle the priority in Windows. Go to Devices and Printers, then right click on the throttle. Select Advanced from the window, and from the drop down select the throttle. Click okay and see if that fixes your issue.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Hi Panther - just tried. I see the throttle but cannot change anything. I only get the remove device option. Right click yields nothing. No other options for advanced settings. I run Win 10. I don't know if something else is required.

I think I skipped a step, I wasn't near the PC with the throttle when I wrote the response and again not near it as well. Right clicking the throttle, then select game controller ... something. Then the advance option should show up. Worse case, take a screen shot on the right click menu and post it here, if I don't get back with the detailed steps later today.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

This may or may not help...

This is what I do for DCS, Discord, and Simple Radio (SRS). This allows me to use Discord, and SRS's 3 radios on my HOTAS without having to touch the keyboard (good for VR), but also allows me to talk on Discord and SRS using my keyboard if my HOTAS is not configured yet. I use TARGET to program my HOTAS, but you can set these key combos in any gaming setup software you like. Key combos were chosen specifically to not conflict with DCS, Windows, or a few other games I play.

Discord
- Settings -> Voice & Video -> Set Push to Talk = RWIN+F12
- Settings -> Keybinds -> Add "Toggle Mute" = RWIN+RCTRL+F12

SRS
Set under SRS Controls tab
- R_CTL+F9     PTT Radio 1 (Radio 1 set to F9, Radio 1 Modifier set to RCTRL)
- R_CTL+F10    PTT Radio 2 (Radio 2 set to F10, Radio 2 Modifier set to RCTRL)
- R_CTL+F11    PTT Radio 3 (Radio 3 set to F11, Radio 3 Modifier set to RCTRL)
- R_CTL+F12    PTT for Intercom only (e.g. multi-crew or request ground support on some aircraft) (Intercom Select = F12, Modifier = RCTRL)
- R_SHIFT+\    PTT for selected radio (Push to Talk - PTT = \, PTT Modifier = RSHIFT)
- R_CTL+\      Select next radio (Select Next Radio = \, ..Next Radio Modifier = RCTRL)

Note, if you are running out of SHIFT/CTRL/ALT key combos, it is easy to assign stuff to RWIN+(key) or LWIN+(key) combos, or even the Windows APPS+(key) combo because these keys are not often used in games or DCS. You may need to make sure you don't duplicate a real Windows WIN key function, though DCS seems to block WIN and APPS key commands from going to Windows.

I normally map Radio 1, 2, and 3 on the Warthog Throttle MIC switch (forward, down and back), and map the Discord PTT and Mute buttons on some accessible buttons on either the stick or the throttle depending on which aircraft I'm flying. We normally fly with SRS, so Discord is just for pre and post flight discussions. This works for aircraft like the A-10C (as this is exactly how the A-10C works) or other aircraft with separate PTT buttons for each radio. Or for example, on the Huey, SRS automatically changes the radio audio channel selector to the correct channel when I PTT the different radios.

On other aircraft that only have a single PTT button (e.g. Gazelle), I tap the Radio 1, 2, or 3 PTT button which causes SRS to select that radio, and then press the RSHIFT+\ SRS PTT (assigned to a convenient button on my stick) which acts as PTT for the currently selected radio. If I don't want to assign the MIC switch to the Radio 1, 2, 3 PTT, I can use RCTRL+\ to ask SRS to select the next radio in a round robin fashion.

RCTRL+F12 for SRS Intercom Only PTT is needed for aircraft like the Huey because you sometimes need to be on Intercom to speak with ground crew. This causes SRS to select the Huey's Intercom audio channel. It might also be needed for multi-crew like in the F14, but I haven't tried that yet.

To not waste buttons, since the joystick "trigger" is often the radio button even on some military aircraft (not the Fire button), for sticks that have a dual stage trigger, TG1 (first trigger step) is assigned as Discord PTT, and TG2 (2nd Trigger) is assigned as SRS PTT. I then assign a shifted TG1 to mute or unmute Discord. Now one button can talk on 3 radios, and Discord without issues of speaking on Discord and SRS at the same time. Meaning, if I mute Discord, I can press TG1 while passing through to TG2 without transmitting on Discord.

All this can be done with any common joystick to keyboard mapping software. I use TARGET scripts for the Warthog Throttle, and the Logitech G940 programming software for my G940 FFB stick.

BTW, I tend to avoid setting joystick keys (e.g. DX1, DX2) directly in DCS. Using external software to program all this means I don't have to reconfigure all my key binds in DCS due to a major update or re-install of the software. To each their own.

Complicated? No more than anything else in DCS. Once I chose these keys, I just duplicated the configuration code for all my aircraft (in TARGET) and never have to think twice about it.

If you try to assign everything using DirectX buttons, yes. But if you are doing that, you should not include the MFD's in the TARGET script, but instead program them directly (individualy) in DCS. Or do what SGT Coyle said to extend the max number of buttons in TARGET. But I would only do that if I needed to do shifted states or advanced programming on the MFD's while wanting to assign them as DirectX buttons. Instead, I always assign buttons as keyboard key combos. No 32 or 128 button limit anymore. Both methods work of course.

I don't use target because Ive had numerous problems with buttons being intermittent in game. I use direct DX commands in DCS and that has been working fine, but it is limiting. I am trying to understand LUA better to see if I can make things work more consistently / better. This also has the fun of having my config overwritten every patch….

[Never mind - see my next post - is that the issue you have?] If TARGET is causing intermittent buttons presses, it should be a solvable problem. I use TARGET extensively, including some significantly complex scripts (C coded TARGET scripts to map analog axis to keyboard keys in Train Sim World) and it is 100% spot on for getting all the key presses right. I would be happy to help you get it working (or have you already asked elsewhere - point me to the thread). There are a few reasons to dislike TARGET, but failure to get key presses working right is not one of them.

I am trying to avoid adding more software to solve the problem because I already have a ton that runs. After a while I'll need the full page check list just to open DCS!:megalol:

Ha, I'm already there. Well, not a full page. But I now make check lists for all my DCS aircraft, and it includes pre-setup stuff like loading this and that software for my controllers, and checking that it is working correctly. But I do this mainly so I remember what to pre-configure for an aircraft that I haven't flown for a while. Otherwise, it becomes too overwhelming.

Edited by Drakoz

Regarding missed keys in TARGET, I see the problem. The TARGET GUI defaults to 25ms press time for PULSE'd commands (when you select Type Pulse for a key commmand). In some testing I did, for commmands like Left-Shift-A, the Left-Shift key is held down consistently for 25ms, but the A key is held down for less. Sometimes the A key was held down for less than 5ms. That is too short!!!

This is not an issue if the key press command was the A key by itself, but combo keys like Shift-A or CTRL-A is a problem as the letter isn't held down as long as the SHIFT or CTRL.

The problem is the default PULSE'd key press time should be higher in the GUI. You can change this in the TARGET GUI through the Configuration Option Menu, but it only allows a max delay of 33ms. Why, I have no idea. In the TARGET Script editor, you can set this delay to anything you want using the SetKBRate() command. Also, if you don't set a delay in the the TARGET Script editor with SetKBRate(), it defaults to 32ms. I have never had an issue with TARGET in DCS with this default, but I can see how the default of 25ms could cause all kinds of issues.

Just changing the default to 32ms means you never get a key press for less than 15ms or maybe 10ms, which DCS seems to be able to handle. I would suggest setting the default delay to max (33ms) on all GUI configurations. If changing the default to 33ms isn't enough, you can use Press and Release command types and set any delay you want with the DELAY field. If defaults to 33ms, but setting it to 50ms should make sure there will never be an issue.

BTW, whether run in the GUI, or the Script Editor, it is compiled and executed the same way, so this isn't an issue with the GUI being screwed up and not the Script Editor. It is simply an issue that the GUI defaults to 25ms. But this is pretty disappointing that TM set the default to 25ms and only allow a max of 33ms. I have used 100ms as the delay in some games that needed it.

Sorry if this has been discussed many times. I don't use the GUI and had no idea such a fundamental issue existed with it. But now I understand why some people are having issues and hate TARGET because of it.

@ Drakoz - Thank you for the suggestions. I do like the capability I was able to achieve with Target, but I have had numerous problems getting all of the fucntions to work. The big one that never worked consistently is the sensor select switch. I got it to work maybe 1/3 of the time. I had to constantly press the button to see if I could get the SOI where I wanted it. Also, Target would ABEND and leave me with no buttons. I moved my config into DCS and those problems went away, but I lost alot of functionality too. I don't think there is a perfect answer. I'll take another look at Target.

The sensor select switch is the joystick hat that moves the SOI between the hud, DDIs, and AMPCD. Sometimes I could get it to function through target consistently, but not always. I played with the press time for the keys and other pulse methods, but it just never worked consistently. Also have had issues with speedbrake - if I forgot it, it would fill the keyboard buffer... :)

Hmm the sensor switch issue sounds like a hardware issue but you said it worked in DCS without TARGET. So I don”t know what to say about that one.

You also said that TARGET would sometimes “ABEND”. What did you mean by that? If you mean TARGET would unload or stop your current configuration, that is very likely an issue with Windows doing a power down of USB devices which has caused no end of issues for many people. TARGET dropping out is just the result but it is actually a Windows issue.

I had that issue and the fix can require many different things from bad audio jack connectors to bad drivers to (my last one I found) bad firmware controlling the LEDs on my Corsair CPU water cooler. Ya that specific. There is an entire thread here on the forums about this USB issue, but it affects all Windows users not just DCS simmers.

In DCS sometimes, the USB issue will cause DCS to freeze for 2 to 5 seconds. But the last issue I had just caused TARGRT to stop my current profile with no indication - until I tried to use an axis or press a button. New firmware for the Corsair water cooler fixed it.

Does any of this sound like what you have seen?

Edited by Drakoz