Paint Jobs!

Last time I checked them out in 2.x alpha they looked excessively shiny, is that still going on or did they tone it down?
Just see for yourself? I find it looks fantastic.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well I did take a look for myself after work, and the paint jobs all look like highly polished metal. Are other people experiencing this? I expect it on a polished aluminum F-86 or Mig-15 but I see Goshawks all the time at my airport and none of them are so shiny. I checked out a few liveries that I imagine shouldn't be that glossy but that one specifically because I see it almost everyday IRL.

Anyway I was relieved that I was able to taxi it. Hopefully we'll get some love soon.

Well I did take a look for myself after work, and the paint jobs all look like highly polished metal. Are other people experiencing this? I expect it on a polished aluminum F-86 or Mig-15 but I see Goshawks all the time at my airport and none of them are so shiny. I checked out a few liveries that I imagine shouldn't be that glossy but that one specifically because I see it almost everyday IRL.

Anyway I was relieved that I was able to taxi it. Hopefully we'll get some love soon.

That sounds weird. We had very shiny textures in 2.2 Nevada. After 2.5 Update it looked much better to me. At least at a glance (only briefly flew the Hawk on the Caucasus map).

Did you delete the shader cache (saved games/DCS Openbeta/metashaders) to compile the shaders, again?

That is the only thing I can think of.

If you delete that folder DCS will recompile the shaders which takes a couple minutes on first SIM start.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'll give that a shot. It looked the same in 2.5 Caucasus map to me as it did in 2.2 Nevada. Do I delete everything in the metashaders folder or the folder itself?
Can delete the complete folder... I am not 100 percent sure they did something to the textures. Likely they tuned the lighting in DCS overall.

No access to a PC at the moment to double check.

At a first glance the glowing shine effect of a lot of aircrafts textures was reduced to a more realistic reflection you would expect from a glossy paint, like in the Red's paint job, or other "more artistic ones", compared to matte olive or similar military paint jobs.

Shagrat

Well I tried deleting metashaders and I got a message saying metashaders failed to compile followed by a crash...
What? I did this multiple times when migrating to SSD, when my Graphics card died, when switching to a new PC etc.

It was a recommended action for the update to 2.5, and that should definitely not happen.

Shagrat

Before doing anything else have a look in the windows wastebin, if you can restore the folder completely.

Second option, try a DCS repair.

If that isn't working, rename(!) the whole your profile/Saved games/DCS World Openbeta folder by adding "_old" or similar and run DCS. It should create a new folder structure from scratch with everything, like configs, missions, shaders etc.

If this works you can move the new created metashaders folder into the old (renamed) folder and then delete the remains of the new DCS Openbeta folder.

Now rename it back to the original name (delete the _old) and start DCS.

So sorry for the inconvenience. As I said, this never happened during multiple moves and transfers, and it should not happen at all.

Shagrat

I understood it was a possibility no hard feelings. I was able to restore it after the delete and DCS went back to working fine.
Glad to hear! Still wondering what happened there... But better leave it at that.

Shagrat