Ultra Realistic SOUND mod for the HORNET

Hi all!!

Just wanted to share with all of you my last mod...although the hornet sounds are good, they are still lacking a lot of realism, imho, and many aspects of what a fighter aircraft uses to sound like when one is enjoying a real life display. So I decided to try and see what I could do with the already programmed sounders and sdef files.

After many hours of work mixing samples, editing them, testing, adjusting sound files, etc. I ended up with an external sound design that I think will be pleasant for most of you. I tried to create a sound field that accurately represents how this machines actually sound LIVE!.

Special care was taken trying to capture something really lacking in every sound design for a module I have ever heard to date: high spl PEAKS from the afterburner and mil power when the engines are looking to the spectator. Those of you who have listened to fighter aircrafts or usually watch videos will instantly know what I'm talking about. I think this effect has been properly captured, adjusted, and behaves as it should at pretty much any angle and condition I tested. At the same time a whole new sound concept for the upfront sound field has been made trying to improve the too quiet sound coming from the plane from the front in the vanilla sounds, which is not fully accurate, while at the same time keeping the effect of transonic speed sound effects.

The mod features:

-Unique high quality sound samples and audio mixes.

-Dynamic randomized samples for some sounds that change as power states changes.Accurate sound in terms of audio signature, power, and timing.

-Proper bass content.

v1.1:

-Improved "whistle" sounds. A new pair of realistic whistle samples wh ere mixed along with the original one with several beahviour and level adjustments and randomized playback so they feel everytime different and alive.

v2.0:

-New sounds for back and front engine sounds

-Adjusted smoothness of few sounds, specially front vs back

-Adjusted some distances and volumes

Here is a video showing the mod in action:

Note the extreme "cracking" sound when the nozzles are at full AB looking at you, as well as the balance with the mil power and other states, that's something I really miss in all modules. The BASS amount and the moments it should be there was also another key aspect of the mod.

Of course, also tried to make a "seamless" sound experience from the front to the rear aspect at any distance.

v1.1 test:

I highly recommend a good speakers/headphones setup for better experience and fuller frequency spectrum reproduction.

Download link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305785/

Note: this mod only modifies the external sounds. No internal sounds were edited.

As always, hope you like it!!:)

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Thanks a lot to all you guys, really appreciate your support!!:)

ED, Hire this guy!

Sounds absolutely amazing! Thank you!

Well, I wouldn't mind taking a look at the upcoming Viper's sounds :D

THIS is one of the best sound mods in DCS, Dont normally do mods but this is great, I did F3 attempt at low speed landing to thank you watermanpc

Thanks a lot for taking the time to make the video man!, glad you are enjoying it!:)

Btw, after some people talking about the whine effect missing (which is not), I realized that the gain value for it was incorrect for my mod and it is a bit too low...Im working to fix it and also adjust that particular effect for the next 1.1 version.:thumbup:

Thank you very much!

does it give any problems to IC? it will be perfect if not :)

Take care and thank you once again,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Hi again, I have been working on improving the "whistle" sound of this mod as it was way too low (when some people told me about this, at first, I though they were talking about a different howl effect which is very rare so I misunderstood what they were talking about)...

So I added a pair of new very realistic samples combined with the original whistle sound (which is quite good) in a randomized way so they feel different and alive in avery pass...remember that to hear the whistle sound the plane must have some positive g's and a certain speed (between 230-320kts aprox)

I made a new video showing specifically the new whistle sounds in the latest v1.1 version already available for download, hope you like them:

Cheers!!:)

Holy hell! Feel like I was at an Air Show! Man it is by far the best sound editing in DCS so far. ED should hire you to redo all aircraft sound effects!

I would rip an arm off if you would come out with a package for the Mig-21 as well! This red side bird classic was SO left behind as far as sound goes.

Thank you so much guys!!;)

Im very happy you all like the mod!!

About making other planes, well you know, as always, the problem is the time and resources, I don't have access to private recordings, nor equipment for doing them so I have to search for good material and sometimes there is none and then as I said it takes time to planning, mix, test, plan again, mix again, test again, etc. and sadly can't do this full time :( ...I will try to do more sound mods just can't make any promise. :)

Thank you very much!

does it give any problems to IC? it will be perfect if not :)

Take care and thank you once again,

F.

Yeah, I just tested it and it seems to be IC friendly :)

Watermanpc you plan to redo the internal engine sounds?

At the moment no tbh, I think they are quite good...what do you think could be better/improved?

Thank you so much guys!!;)

Im very happy you all like the mod!!

About making other planes, well you know, as always, the problem is the time and resources, I don't have access to private recordings, nor equipment for doing them so I have to search for good material and sometimes there is none and then as I said it takes time to planning, mix, test, plan again, mix again, test again, etc. and sadly can't do this full time :( ...I will try to do more sound mods just can't make any promise. :)

Yeah, I just tested it and it seems to be IC friendly :)

At the moment no tbh, I think they are quite good...what do you think could be better/improved?

Thank you for your reply, downloading now :)

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

awesome man! downloading now!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Improve the sound according to the notes: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245153

Well, the content of that thread is all dependant on coding (sounders) and not something I can improve/change in any way afaik. I agreed with most of that thread and also posted some other issues I notice in the sound department in DCS, like the speed of sound (lack of lag), volume difference between power states, transients and such but there is nothing I can do to change that, is all programming sorry :(...

I think I have a few good ideas on how all this could be improved in terms of the "logic" to achive it but can't code it.

What Im sure is external sounds could be much better than they are now, and the DCS potential for this is HUGE.

Thank you for your reply, downloading now :)

awesome man! downloading now!

Please, enjoy it guys!:)

I have to test again.

I think so :P ;)

Edited by watermanpc

• 5 months later...