Why can't we switch between rio and pilot on MP?

ebabil

This limitation makes the MP experience annoying. Rio AA management is not always enough. But AG side is much worse. Rio can not use lantirn pod so your plane becomes only a ccip kamikaze, no lgb etc.

If there is a problem with client management, then make 2 version of it, First one is multicrew and Second version is single crew like ve have on single player flights. So if a player chooses single player version on server, he can switch between seats. The ones who choose multicrew version, can only play at particular positions.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

It is a bit of a nuisance...I'd tend to agree

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

It's a limitation of the DCS engine and how the multiplayer framework has been designed by ED.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's a limitation of the DCS engine and how the multiplayer framework has been designed by ED.

i doubt it.

if you can add these planes in to editor, you should be able to add to mp also. as i said earlier, there can be versions. so single player version will always behave as single player version, no MP join ever.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

Yes exactly, that's what I meant

Youtube

Your question has been answered already. This is how it works within the DCS World engine. If there are two player slots for a single aircraft, once you choose a seat in multiplayer mode, you can't switch around like you can in single player mode.

Heatblur already did some miracles with getting the two cockpits working together like they do now. I really think it is unreasonable to ask them make a One Person Tomcat for multiplayer. It's multiplayer, by definition you are already more than one person playing. You can now fly a Tomcat.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

why is asking single slot tomcat unreasonable? if can't find a human rio, you get hard time on mp.

i think hb should offer 2 options and let player choose whatever they want

Youtube

I doubt it's a "limitation", If the RIO AI works in multiplayer then there is no reason why the pilot AI would not work in a similar way. It IS the way they have designed it so as to ensure there are identifiable slots free for RIO's who want to join in MP. They could re-design it so pilot AI functioned when switching to the RIO seat.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

I doubt it's a "limitation", If the RIO AI works in multiplayer then there is no reason why the pilot AI would not work in a similar way. It IS the way they have designed it so as to ensure there are identifiable slots free for RIO's who want to join in MP. They could re-design it so pilot AI functioned when switching to the RIO seat.

I meant switching between seats itself is not possible. AI or no AI isn't even the question here. The way DCS MP currently works doesn't allow to switch seats, because it's just not possible technically. It's not something HB can decide as Super Groover pointed out.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The simplest answer to the question asked in this topic is that you can't switch between the RIO and the pilot seats in multiplayer because DCS doesn't support it at the moment, and it wasn't our design decision.

We can switch between UH1 or Mi8 seat positions on MP. So if you make a single slot version, you can be doing it

Youtube

Its funny. People bitch for multi crew when there is none available. People bitch for single crew when there is multi crew available. Accept things as they are for once maybe.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

whats harder to do

recoding entire parts of an engine

vs

being more sociable

i like how its always the same few people who account for the majority of issues

bigthink.gif

Edited by probad

The Huey and Hip are basically a single player slot airframe with switchable seat positions. No other player can join them. Not as navigator and not even something simple like a door gunner.

Belsimtek are having trouble getting multicrew to work in those modules.

The Gazelle has separate player cockpits that can't be switched as does the L-39.

Instead of using your time and resources to try to make the developers spend their time and resources to do something that the game engine at this time simply does not allow, play with a buddy.

I hope multicrew will get more and better support by ED in the future as they will need it for their upcoming Hind. That might even bring their long promised multicrew to their existing helicopters. But until then, play what is possible right now.

Its funny. People bitch for multi crew when there is none available. People bitch for single crew when there is multi crew available. Accept things as they are for once maybe.

The Huey and Hip are basically a single player slot airframe with switchable seat positions. No other player can join them. Not as navigator and not even something simple like a door gunner.

Belsimtek are having trouble getting multicrew to work in those modules.

The Gazelle has separate player cockpits that can't be switched as does the L-39.

Instead of using your time and resources to try to make the developers spend their time and resources to do something that the game engine at this time simply does not allow, play with a buddy.

I hope multicrew will get more and better support by ED in the future as they will need it for their upcoming Hind. That might even bring their long promised multicrew to their existing helicopters. But until then, play what is possible right now.

Of course if we can find a human rio, it would be way too better. But if we can't find one (not everybody is willing to sit at the back seat) mp becomes pain.

If multicrew will be implemented into huey and hip, it will be the same story. when you can not find a door gunner or co-pilot, you will suffer pain for sure. do you think that you can always find another 3 people who will sit in the door gunner and co-pilot seat? i don't think so

Youtube

So if implementing a single-slot aircraft is too hard, then how about filling missing RIO slots with AI Jester automatically? Would that be a viable solution for Heatblur?

Isn't that what they do now? lol

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

So if implementing a single-slot aircraft is too hard, then how about filling missing RIO slots with AI Jester automatically? Would that be a viable solution for Heatblur?

:huh:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It's a limitation with how ED designed multi-crew. The code is dictated inside of the F-14B.lua file with this.

crew_members =
  {
      [1] =
      {
          ejection_seat_name = "f-14b_gru7",
          drop_canopy_name = "f-14b_canopy",
     --     pilot_name     = "MiG-21_pilot",
          pos = {4,    0.65,    0},
          can_be_playable   = true,
          canopy_arg           = 38,
          ejection_order    = 2,
          canopy_pos    = {3.916,0.798,0},
          ejection_added_speed = {-3,15,-3}, --pilot to the left
          role      = "pilot",
          role_display_name    = _("Pilot"),
      },
      [2] =
      {
          ejection_seat_name = "f-14b_gru7",
          drop_canopy_name = "f-14b_canopy",
  --        pilot_name     = "MiG-21_pilot",
          pos = {2.5,    0.65,    0},
          can_be_playable  = true,
          canopy_pos   =  {3.916,0.798,0},
          ejection_added_speed = {-3,15,3}, -- RIO to the right
          ejection_order   = 1,
          canopy_arg          = 38,
          pilot_body_arg  = 472,
          role      = "instructor",
          role_display_name    = _("Radar Intercept Officer"),
      },
  },

The variable "role" absolutely dictates the feature of Pilot and Pilot2 slots for an individual aircraft. "role_display_name" seems to be a variable that is now deprecated or internally stored rather than displayed. Unless we are given the ability to choose a setting or a setting is made by HB themselves, this is something that is completely around the GUI system.

Huey and Magnificent Eight don't have multi-crew, to begin with.

:doh:

Youtube

:doh:

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean, because 2 modules that are missing multi-crew (even though they're stated to be developed later on) can't be comparable to 1 module that doesn't have this missing feature.

1. The product is EA. You bought this intentionally knowing that it wouldn't be finished upon launch.

It's more complete than say other modules, but it is still EA at that. JESTER is still limited but

constantly improved.

2. The F-14 Tomcat needs a RIO, regardless if it's an AI or a real person. If it is this hard for you

to either find a real human RIO to operate with or use the AI with its current design, then you may

need to evaluate what you're doing with the module and your intentions.

Rio AA management is not always enough.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? As in radar modes? JESTER response times? It's a vague thing to complain about and leaves it quite broad to question exactly what this is.

But AG side is much worse. Rio can not use lantirn pod so your plane becomes only a ccip kamikaze, no lgb etc.

There are ways you can get around this. HB has already acknowledged that they will be adding LANTIRN functionality to JESTER in the future. There is also a mod in the ED user files section for the F-14B allowing you to control the LANTIRN from the Pilot seat.

Edited by Sirius