Cruise speed vs throttle power

A2597

So looking at the throttle and engine gauge, I tend to cruise with the RPMs around 85-95.

I'm guessing that RPMs at 100% is full military power, and from what I can find, you would not stay at full military power for periods longer than ~20 minutes before backing down a little. But where do you back down to? Where is best practice to keep the throttle for flight in a non-combat / patrol scenario?

I know this is off-topic but I noticed that the Hornet can't super-cruise like it could before when you ran a very clean configuration. At max military thrust after running AB, I could hold the speed at about Mach 1.02 at around 20,000 ft. Now it can't go past Mach .98 under the same conditions.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

The hornet shouldn't be able to super cruise...

I read an interview of a pilot who had flown the f18 as well as the 16 and 15. He claimed that the f18 and f16 could, in a clean configuration at altitude, supercruise.

On the other hand I believe the definition of supercruise requires that you carry a useful amount of cargo/weapons. So simply going supersonic in a clean configuration would not qualify as supercruise.

I wanted to link to the article but I could not find it. I believe it was called something along the line “F15 vs F16 vs F18: A fighter pilots perspective”

The hornet shouldn't be able to super cruise...

This isn't even supercruise, just because it exceeds M 1.0. Most sources state supercruise begins somwhere around 1.2 - 1.3, after the transsonic. I remember reading up from SMEs just on these forums that speeds in MIL up to 1.1 are not unrealistic for the 18C. Just can't find it without wasting lots of time.

The F-15C also does some 1.06 - 1.07ish.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg