Weird flicker in 2.5.6

Harlikwin

So, I managed to track this down.

There is a weird "flicker" black line/object that pops in and out of your VR FOV when the cockpit flood lights are on, (instrument/panel lights don't do this, just flood) happens day or night. Using HP reverb. Might be a VR only bug as I don't see/notice it on the flat screen reprojection. To replicate, be in VR turn on cockpit flood lights.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In DCS I sometimes get a black square flicker in the top left of the picture, but this is related to my AA settings and happens with any module randomly.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

Yeah this is different. Its only in VR, it doesn't show up on the re-projected screen. It is in both eyes. And its very random, I tried to replicate it the other day and couldn't. But on 2 seperate occasions (starts of DCS) it showed up when I turned on the flood. Maybe it got fixed in the latest patch too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Anyone else seeing this in the JF-17? Its gotten worse, particularly on the ground for me. Might be shadow related?

I use TrackIR, no VR. But it is the same here.

Yesterday after a long abstinence I dealt with the JF-17 again and while doing this, and as described here, I noticed this flickering again and again at different intervals.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Could you try something like, turn off HUD/MFCD/UFCD, and then follow the exact route where you saw flicker before, and see whether you can see it again.

I see same thing at Tbilisi airfield at the same position every time and also the SP SEAD mission. I'm afraid it's terrain issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

I have definitely seen it the worst sitting parked at Qeshm airfield in the PG on blueflag. It does go away after takeoff, or is a lot less bad. Also over Dubai at night flying in from the south along the coast.

And I can verify that it does show up in VR AND the re projected window, seems like a big black box at times, covering part of the FOV.

I'll try the HUD/MFCD/UFCD thing and report back.

I can confirm MSAA off resolves the bug.

Everything looks jaggier with MSAA off. Multi sample Anti Aliasing. I'm gonna guess the weird box artifact is something having to do with the sampling not working or broken? So it tries to sample the image, can't and the outputs black box/square (depending how ED implements it).

It doesn't seem specific to the JF-17 or VR per the thread in the VR bugs section, it happens in the F16 too. It does seem terrain dependent to some extent (after takeoff from Queshm It goes away mostly). It might be more pronounced on WMR headsets? It might be related to "flood" lighting to some extent.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=264789

i got these also folks. Seems to be connected with floodlights or button lights, mostly seen either side of the cockpit. But I get it in multiple modules. Can't remember which. Its some kind of lighting box, like a shaded area around a graphic that you shoudlnt be able to see in 2D but in 3d its there. I remember a smaller version on a light over an Mi8 button once, but that was resolved.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I can see it in VR and on the reprojected 2D screen. And I was able to stop it by turning off floodlights in some cases at night. But it does happen with them off when I'm parked at Qeshm with the JF17.

what about other modules at same position?

I'll check and report back with MSAAx2 on.

So... At this point I'm no longer able to see the problem or re-test it.

I turned MSAAx2 off. (this fixed the issue)

SteamVR updated

I turned MSAAx2 on. I am no longer seeing the issue.

Caveat: I can't test online on blueflag at Qeshm, because it was overrun. However offline testing does not show the same problem now. (I have seen the issue offline before).

So possibly there is some weird on/off thing with MSAAx2 or it was a steamVR issue?

So... At this point I'm no longer able to see the problem or re-test it.

I turned MSAAx2 off. (this fixed the issue)

SteamVR updated

I turned MSAAx2 on. I am no longer seeing the issue.

Caveat: I can't test online on blueflag at Qeshm, because it was overrun. However offline testing does not show the same problem now. (I have seen the issue offline before).

So possibly there is some weird on/off thing with MSAAx2 or it was a steamVR issue?

dunno whether it's a good news or bad one ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

dunno whether it's a good news or bad one ;)

All I can say DCS must be a frustrating development/bugfixing environment is all that I can say. Per the other thread guys were getting glitches in the F16 too. If it comes up again I'll report back.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having this issue with the current 2.5.6.45317 Open Beta.

From my observation, the more blinking exterior lights you have (anti-col, position), the stronger the flickering. Interior lights aren't the cause - they're simply making it a lot worse.

Flickering is particularly strong while airborne and looking outside. Less pronounced on the ground. And never happening in external views.

MSAA 2x, NO VR, TIR.

Dima | My DCS uploads

I'm having this issue with the current 2.5.6.45317 Open Beta.

From my observation, the more blinking exterior lights you have (anti-col, position), the stronger the flickering. Interior lights aren't the cause - they're simply making it a lot worse.

Flickering is particularly strong while airborne and looking outside. Less pronounced on the ground. And never happening in external views.

MSAA 2x, NO VR, TIR.

i think it's due to graphic setting

try MSAA off?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]