I'm probably alone in this, but I actually prefer the VDI from the early alpha videos

key_stroked

Specifically this video ->

I like the more digital look of the VDI in that video compared to the CRT type screen we have now. I know the cockpit in that vid was an early and unfinished version and what we have now is considered more realistic....but as far as aesthetics go, I prefer the more squarish, "cleaner" VDI with the brighter lines and text.

I know it's unlikely, but could the earlier version be made as an optional "skin" in the specials section of the DCS options menu?

VDI-compare.jpg.bcb68660fdced65700295bbcdc85b09a.jpg

I will admit that from cockpit videos I’ve seen, both the HUD and VDI look quite a bit different from what we have in game. While these could simply be articfacts with the camera, overall both look much thinner and defined than in game.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

For what it’s worth, they look exactly as I remember them.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

For what it’s worth, they look exactly as I remember them.

I’ll certainly take your word for it, but I’ll post some pictures I have where the lines and numbers look much thinner and defined than what we have in game.

But again I’m not saying that I am remotely correct or know, it may just be that the camera may change or distort how it looks.

Edi: Not the pictures, but this video might show what I mean. Though the brightness being turned down might be why.

at 1:32
Edited by Gunslinger22

Edi: Not the pictures, but this video might show what I mean. Though the brightness being turned down might be why.

at 1:32

I think it is very hard to tell from that video what it looks like, it certainly looks blurred, which isn't exactly thinner. Be that how it may, I know what you mean, but reproducing how the CRT type screen works and would look, is what makes it look how it does, which gives it the realistic look that Spiceman remembers from real life. It's not as much as making it look like a foto, but simulating the screen so it results in how it looked (just as we did with all other screens and probably most noticeable in the Lantirn). As always, unfortunately it will not always strike everyone's taste.

This is something we'd kindly ask you not to expect to change.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The only difference I see between the video and DCS, and I am admittedly not a videophile/photophile, is that the painted numbers on the VDI screen (the VDI had “fixed” images and “painted” images like the pitch ladder) are a bit large. Other than that, they look the same to me.

The other thing that would really be cool if HB could pull it off is the sloppiness of the painted images, like the little droops and smears and globs, where the electron gun didn’t stop shooting perfectly timed with moving to the next line. Like the pitch ladder numbers in the video. Looks sort of like an old typewriter with dirty hammers (or whatever those things were called). It would get worse under G as well.

094EE581-55A3-48AF-9E67-1B8F5881D77D.thumb.jpeg.0cc47ebfa6c5abc850b326ad56cdc59f.jpeg

3D190C5D-BA73-42F5-A468-652734516861.thumb.jpeg.399ece650ff8279545623102c945d4c8.jpeg

Edited by Spiceman

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

The only difference I see between the video and DCS, and I am admittedly not a videophile/photophile, is that the painted numbers on the VDI screen (the VDI had “fixed” images and “painted” images like the pitch ladder) are a bit large. Other than that, they look the same to me.

The other thing that would really be cool if HB could pull it off is the sloppiness of the painted images, like the little droops and smears and globs, where the electron gun didn’t stop shooting perfectly timed with moving to the next line. Like the pitch ladder numbers in the video. Looks sort of like an old typewriter with dirty hammers (or whatever those things were called). It would get worse under G as well.

To me, the colors from your RL picture look exactly like the colors from the early VDI (the leftmost picture in the OP).

The color tones we have now in DCS don't seem to match that.

You guys are basically saying make it look like the photos of the screen, instead of the actual screen.

Yes that sums it up pretty nicely, I would say. Saturation wise and color wise, especially old photos, are no good comparison.

Hence we try to recreate the workings of such screens, rather than just "paint it" in such or such color. DCS lighting of course gives the whole thing its final touch, to say overly simplified, but the end result is then what you get as is.

There's also a thing where we tend to think of history as less colorful, than it actually was. Be it the white tempels of the acropolis, which back then were painted in striking and popping blues, yellows, reds and greens, or the surprise to see colorized ww2 fotos, up to the still existing belief that the "dark ages" were really "dark" (in movies always foggy with a big grey filter on) etc. So a more washed out color tone, sets the 80s mood more and so forth. It kinda makes sense, as most things tend to lose their color over time. So we remember them, as we found them, not necessarily as they have been lived in fact.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Spiceman makes an interesting point about the numerals, though.

Pretty much every display in the Cat is vector-based, aside from LANTIRN and TCS video. They’re drawing each character and symbol with an electron beam like a pen on paper. Text is particularly difficult to do with precision on that kind of display:

a87d7b5aabab71715e9289f098af37a9.jpg

I’m guessing it would just take some tweaks to the font to get results closer to the above. Probably much more difficult to dynamically change font relative to G but it would be a super cool effect if it’s possible.

iirc ours is vector drawn, too. tbh we're fairly happy with the result as is, including font etc and likely will not touch on it again. if you zoom in enough, you should see a similar effect.

Heatblur Simulations

Yes that sums it up pretty nicely, I would say. Saturation wise and color wise, especially old photos, are no good comparison.

Hence we try to recreate the workings of such screens, rather than just "paint it" in such or such color. DCS lighting of course gives the whole thing its final touch, to say overly simplified, but the end result is then what you get as is.

There's also a thing where we tend to think of history as less colorful, than it actually was. Be it the white tempels of the acropolis, which back then were painted in striking and popping blues, yellows, reds and greens, or the surprise to see colorized ww2 fotos, up to the still existing belief that the "dark ages" were really "dark" (in movies always foggy with a big grey filter on) etc. So a more washed out color tone, sets the 80s mood more and so forth. It kinda makes sense, as most things tend to lose their color over time. So we remember them, as we found them, not necessarily as they have been lived in fact.

Good point! However, the VDI was pink, and the cow patties were rainbow colored and shaped like unicorns...

Viewpoints are my own.

Good point! However, the VDI was pink, and the cow patties were rainbow colored and shaped like unicorns...

Remarkable how you allowed as an SME this to not be shipped with the product? Quite a shame really.

Why do I think I need that mod now? rdlaugh.png

LOL

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg