Grip choice

Oldfox

Hi guys,

I was sure I just needed the T50 grip, but had a quick look on the Alpha, and it just looks like it has a bit more possibilities.

I'm not concerned by the "realistic" look at all as long as I can match bindings as close as the real plane as possible.

Only thing I'm wondering is if the analogue stick can easily be changed to a classical digital hat using the virpil software?

What would be your choice between those two grips?

Thanks!

Edited by Oldfox

yes, you can bind the analog hat to work like 4 buttons. You can set which % of stick will correspond to activate the button.

I had the same questions about choosing the grip, but at least i decided for the T50cm2, i've been waiting for delivery :lol:

I decided for it because i'll have the setup with 200mm extension with cm2 base, so i'd like to have the tallest grip for realism.

DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta - F-18C, F-14B, F-16C, Av-8b, A-10C, Uh-1h, SA-342, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50 Modules

Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Training Map

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Intel I9-9940X - Nvidia 2080Ti 11Gb - 32GB RAM - 4TB SSD

Oculus Rift S - FULL VIRPIL SETUP: T50CM2 throttle, T50cm2 Base and Grip, ACE2 Rudder

Yeah I saw Alpha is a bit shorter, but could be a pro as I have a wheel motor up there that could interfere if too high.

Out of curiosity why tallest more realistic, as you just could have the base a bit higher to compensate the couple cm difference?

Between the CM2 grip and the Alpha, I would choose the CM2

I do not do much if any space flying anymore so the Alpha would not be a good choice for me

Plus the way the flip trigger works on the CM2 is much better than the Alpha's way of doing it

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Out of curiosity why tallest more realistic, as you just could have the base a bit higher to compensate the couple cm difference?

well, i don't have the exact height of the real f14-18-a10 stick, but it's pretty clear that their height from the "deflection center point" are more than the base with 200mm extension. So having that 3cm more than other grip could be more realistic and a little more precise.

But being sincere that's not the main reason why i chose the cm2... the analog stick could be useful for space sims, that i don't use... I'm looking for the best realism i can have, so all normal hats like the real one :smilewink:

DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta - F-18C, F-14B, F-16C, Av-8b, A-10C, Uh-1h, SA-342, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50 Modules

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Oculus Rift S - FULL VIRPIL SETUP: T50CM2 throttle, T50cm2 Base and Grip, ACE2 Rudder

But what makes it for space sims apart from just the name and led light?

I mean it has more possibilities so what would make it less apropriate for planes?

I hear the argument of the flip trigger though, need to see what's the difference!

But what makes it for space sims apart from just the name and led light?

I mean it has more possibilities so what would make it less apropriate for planes?

I hear the argument of the flip trigger though, need to see what's the difference!

it's not for the name neither for the light.. that's the analog stick and the trigger.

In space sim you use the analog stick for translating the craft, while you use the stick for rotation (i suppose, i've never played one!)

In our DCS you should use that analog stick as TMS if you'd like to replicate the a10 f16 stick. My doubt was if that stick are too far from the thumb, but firstly the missing of the "click feeling", which is important specially for the TMS.

Don't forget the cm2 has 1 more button (no scroll but... it doesn't matter), which i will use as the "change mode" to swap the analog stick on the throttle from TDC to mouse control and viceversa.

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

That's what i've recieved from virpil yet :)

t50cm2 grip, Desk mount L and S, Rudder ACE-2 are on it's way :)

The throttle is insane... it makes look my old x52pro (saitek, not logitech, bought in 2005 still working!) like a cheap chinese rubbish!

ACtC-3fxi5gjFtsTfZh9u61FarRFYj_ygC5MuUVCWj7rZslmMS_gwyrEJcwp6ck_SsmpG94qfiAd5eh-KVVLjK2mMXpAr7emJm890w1sTzcsdPC4-5OqEZP2uEWsRNIRWtVpyHnrm7rnOqRoQuXt-JXZU5uoLg=w1184-h888-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3fC1e871XoPQXuJ_eTLTSiFbQtwH1tJ03l6kqtByO0PVWjAbFfX2fMbfUBpVWS8Tsz9Z9DUsiwYfiufSoq6MX4asHRmhaSEb_jSXiI1ogOtRmpD3l97uhWgZNt-oSlzOnr3BScm8IUkdm9iUj6dINUvHA=w666-h888-no?authuser=0

Edited by panph90

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Ok I agree that TMS click feel would be a plus. For me the analogue hat could be a plus in few cases but that's the twist analogue input I was considering the most, for exemple to have differential brakes as I don't have toe brakes on my pedals.

Guess I'll have to think twice before choosing :p

For my setup I still don't have any aidea how to do it well. I'm afraid that the 200mm extension would make the stick too much far from the seat when fully pushed..... Hard to tell without testing various configurations....

I have own all the available virpil extensions, the 200mm is fine for a simpit but on a deskmount the desk is in the land of far far away

check the pic link in my signature to see deflection angles for various configs

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

For me the analogue hat could be a plus in few cases but that's the twist analogue input I was considering the most, for exemple to have differential brakes as I don't have toe brakes on my pedals.

Be aware, you "can't" use differential toe brakes one by one. I mean, using one by one it's like not using it at all. With the twist you will brake only one, why should be useful? the differential brakes are used to be able to "steer" the aircraft while braking, but it mean while you're braking with both pedals, you can brake more or less on one pedal to "steer".

I can't see the plus on indiviual braking, just use the rudder to steer and the single brake axis for braking.

I'm afraid that the 200mm extension would make the stick too much far from the seat when fully pushed..... Hard to tell without testing various configurations....

i've just "simulate" it with the base and extension i have, i think it would be perfect. As soon as i get the remaining stuff i'll post some pics to valuate id :) but remember, when was the last time you push all the way forward the stick? :lol: i am afraid of the opposite direction, to have the grip too close to me when pulling all the way back.

Edited by panph90

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

I'm a bit afraid that I can't make the bent 200mm extension perfectly match my seat while getting the stick low enough not to interfere with my wheel motor on the top.

Played a bit with 1:1 scaled wood sticks to see what it would be like but still hard to figure out what it will really do with real grip.

If nothing works I'll have a side stick mount and brand new extension to sell :music_whistling:

IMG_2274.jpg.28a375c7082307e60bf5f5c16294a1b4.jpg

I had an Alpha that I got with my T-50CM2 base. It did not feel good in the hand at all and sold it off.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Anyway I can't order any grip so I'll keep looking at my useless base :p

The Thrustmaster grips work well on it too and are more obtainable. The F/A-18 grip is also "correct" for the F-15 and AV-8B if you care about that kind of stuff. It is the grip I probably use the most on the base.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Well as I'm not too kind about ultra realistic shape I'd prefer the virpil one that can do pretty much everything instead of switching 250$ grips each time :p But I'm considering that advice.... Will see after next restock.

One question though: is there an analogue twist axis on the Thrustmaster? Because I need this or the analogue paddle on the virpils so I can brake....

Well as I'm not too kind about ultra realistic shape I'd prefer the virpil one that can do pretty much everything instead of switching 250$ grips each time :p But I'm considering that advice.... Will see after next restock.

One question though: is there an analogue twist axis on the Thrustmaster? Because I need this or the analogue paddle on the virpils so I can brake....

I get it, just saying it is available and waiting for the right Virpil stick to come in, then ship, and then get to wherever from

Lithuania can be frustrating. It doesn't have the twist axis nor the analog paddle. But I will say when I was using my T-50CM stick on my Warthog base, the paddle became digital and it wasn't that bad for taxi, I would call the analog only a minor improvement.

The Thrustmaster Warthog Stick does only have X and Y (pitch and roll) axis. Some (?) Virpil grips are available either with Z axis or without and some do have a additional braking lever, wich is an analog axis as well.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Some (?) Virpil grips are available either with Z axis or without and some do have a additional braking lever, wich is an analog axis as well.

VirPil grips with twist rudder analog axis (T50CM2 analog brake lever axis only):

WarBRD - analog twist axes (lockable).

THX grip - optional analog twist axes (lockable) and digital brake lever axis.

Constellation grip - analog twist axis and 2 analog axes in mini-stick.

Alpha grip - analog twist axis (lockable), analog brake lever axis and 2 analog axes in mini-stick HAT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...