Human RIO Auto Start?

Nealius

Ran into an issue with multiplayer today. Human pilot, human RIO, doing an auto start. Apparently for the RIO there isn't an auto start? The RIO had to leave so Jester could do the auto start sequence, then my RIO jumped back in once Jester declared ready to taxi.

Is there anyway to get an auto start for the RIO as well?

If youre doing a2a u can almost start everythig by switching the radar to stamdby (by hcu then on airborne) tv full on, and setting the flares to dispense one at a time ,(bottom rite console)

Far from definitive but youll fly and be able t9 shoot. However if your ruo cant watch the vid on how to enter ins and wp ins try hen

He best hit f1 and give you a bearing to where you want to go. One straught line. The only other way for a human to add the waypoints is typing the #s in.

Ill be honest. It was one of the last f14 things i learned but after 1 hr i could put in alll my waypoints in 2 min TOPS

Easy solution - get the rio to read the manual and learn how to start - its not hard.

If they can't even start the thing they are not going to be effective in the air re IFF, getting the clutter on and off, having the radar optimised, id rather have the clown that is Jester than take up a lame rio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

If youre doing a2a u can almost start everythig by switching the radar to stamdby (by hcu then on airborne) tv full on, and setting the flares to dispense one at a time ,(bottom rite console)

Far from definitive but youll fly and be able t9 shoot. However if your ruo cant watch the vid on how to enter ins and wp ins try hen

He best hit f1 and give you a bearing to where you want to go. One straught line. The only other way for a human to add the waypoints is typing the #s in.

Ill be honest. It was one of the last f14 things i learned but after 1 hr i could put in alll my waypoints in 2 min TOPS

Doesn't the Sparrow and the Phoenix need a properly aligned INS in order to recieve mid-course-guidance? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Doesn't the Sparrow and the Phoenix need a properly aligned INS in order to recieve mid-course-guidance? :huh:

Lmao good point. See this is how you know i just cold start and always have.

There ks a fast weapons grade way to get alignment. I forget how. Maybe its just entering the planes location and not letting the INS charge fully

Some RIO's just want to ride along for a fun flight, not flip all the switches that are completely illegible in VR.

Are the gauges that bad vr? Theyre rlly hard to reaad regular BUT i noticed when i got hotas and addef a zoom button - id zoom in and thehd be legible

Ill add they plan to add zoom for vr!

Also

Theres a cockpit mod wi5h "cleaner" characters. Try that? The A mofel pit also is supposed to look "new"

The RIO had to leave so Jester could do the auto start sequence, then my RIO jumped back in once Jester declared ready to taxi.

So you have a solution already or make a hot start.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

So you have a solution already or make a hot start.

I can't host my own flight due to ISP issues and port forwarding. Therefore I can't control hot/vs cold start. Making my RIO wait in the lobby isn't an acceptable solution.

I can't host my own flight due to ISP issues and port forwarding. Therefore I can't control hot/vs cold start. Making my RIO wait in the lobby isn't an acceptable solution.

He doesn't have to wait in the Lobby. He can just wait as spectator.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Some RIO's just want to ride along for a fun flight, not flip all the switches that are completely illegible in VR.

Lol yea fine for just flying around, you won't be able to do much more than that however - wouldn't want to go PVP you'll get whacked. Time after time with this approach.

I'd look for a new Rio that actually want's to improve their ability and capability.

Its such an amazing effort Heatblur have done in the backseat - its worth the study and no excuse not to. Saying its no good in VR is a nonsense, i only fly VR and the tomcat is pretty amazing in both the front and back seat. It's just lazy not to learn and then expect hotstart's etc, might as well go and blow stuff up on War Thunder if your rio has that approach.

You need to learn the functionality, without a decent human rio the F14 in DCS is at about 30% capability at best with Jester.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Have you tried other servers - like aerobatic? I'm sure some of them have hot start slots.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

This will be irrelevant, once Jester Lantirn and the Multicrew fix get released.

(I only mention lantirn because they will be released together.)

The Multicrew fix will allow the pilot to enable/disable human RIO/Jester and vice versa. This means, your RIO will be able to join, you simply enable Jester and let him do the startup (which basically is an autostart), and then re-enable the RIO again, once done. This will also allow RIOs to fly along, or new RIOs observe Jester to learn some basics, etc... The real reason for the fix however is an online RIO disconnect that can lead to the loss of a backseater in general, including Jester. In this case you'll be able to simply turn Jester back on, and a new RIO can enter again.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No

I don't know what headset you use, but with Odyssey Plus and 1.2PD the cockpit is entirely illegible without the DrunkenSailor's cockpit mod. Even then, I still have to zoom in to see what TACAN channel I'm on. Without the mod I can't even read the altimeter or ASI.

I don't know what headset you use, but with Odyssey Plus and 1.2PD the cockpit is entirely illegible without the DrunkenSailor's cockpit mod. Even then, I still have to zoom in to see what TACAN channel I'm on. Without the mod I can't even read the altimeter or ASI.

I used to have an Odyssey and don't recall being unable to read the altimeter or ASI. If I did, I agree that would have been very frustrating. I usually ran it at 1.5x SS. I have a Reverb now and it's even better, while at 1.2x SS.

Did you run with MSAA on at all? If I run 1.2 at MSAAx2, or 1.5 and MSAA off, I get terrible frames.

Either way, without the DrunkenSailor VR cockpit mod I can't read anything. ASI numbers are illegible so I have to remember physical position of the needle. When changing TACAN I have to zoom in to see what I'm currently on, zoom out to click, and literally count my clicks because the numbers are single white pixels.

The Tacan indicator is a hardware issue.. I have an Index and I still have to zoom in. Which is why indexing the knob and counting clicks works fine for me, and given it's position,size and design of the upper knob in particular I'm wiling to bet that pilots probably had to do this too. Or have it preset before you even leave the ground like the bomb selector drum or even the gun ammo count.

And once again I do not understand this obsession with reading the ASI. Its in 10 knot increments and the labels are every 100kts. What are you trying to read? Its an analog dial. You dont need exact numbers because as you said you can memorize the positions. Easy. Between 5 and 7 is cruising and above 8 is hauling. Between 1 and 4 is bad. 5 o'clock is 250. Gear Down Flaps Down.

Approach speed is onspeed. Why make it difficult?

The Tacan indicator is a hardware issue.. I have an Index and I still have to zoom in. Which is why indexing the knob and counting clicks works fine for me, and given it's position,size and design of the upper knob in particular I'm wiling to bet that pilots probably had to do this too. Or have it preset before you even leave the ground like the bomb selector drum or even the gun ammo count.

And once again I do not understand this obsession with reading the ASI. Its in 10 knot increments and the labels are every 100kts. What are you trying to read? Its an analog dial. You dont need exact numbers because as you said you can memorize the positions. Easy. Between 5 and 7 is cruising and above 8 is hauling. Between 1 and 4 is bad. 5 o'clock is 250. Gear Down Flaps Down.

Approach speed is onspeed. Why make it difficult?

Nailed it

Camt handlenit buy the bug and let your plane do everything

Need 350 for initial, and I believe corner speed is around 325?

Energy management it not flying the performance chart. You have to be adaptable make constant adjustments and understanding if you have the energy to perform your next maneuver. I learned more from dog-fighting in the Sabre than any performance chart. And alas all of this is academic, because if you managed to get in a dogfight with a BVR Aircraft, and somehow managed to slow down quick enough for the perfect "initial" speed, you're not going to be looking at your ASI in a turn fight. You better be looking at the bandit. The plane will tell you if you are bleeding energy or not.

Your scenario constitutes a very small percentage of engagements. A perfect, 1 on 1, Guns Only, Post Merge fight.

Besides this is conversation completely off topic. There have been countless ASI discussions. Bottom line is learn to work with it.

By Initial I meant the CASE I/II pattern, not BFM.

Well then I understand your remark even less. 350 is clearly marked. After that its Idle and a 4g or 15 AOA turn. Never heard of 325 through the turn (other than bfm) as you are trying to loose airspeed, so you can lower gear,flaps/dlc (at 250) through the top of the turn so you are Onspeed rolling out on downwind with minimal trimming. Besides the 350 is a reference point. You can do the break anywhere between 300 and 500.. You don't have to get it at exactly 350.00 kts.