Question about PL-5

Chiron

is this missile working to anyone ??

cuz what i saw so far that this missile is useless in any situation and most of the time he is not tracking the target or flying straight line and ignoring the target is this really ( a missile )

Works for me. It’s not super great and head on range is horrible, but if you un age it and wait for pick im fine. One thing is it seems to not hold a lock off bore really well when it isn’t slaved to radar, I can’t pitch my nose fast to get extra lead unless I have a radar lock. With a radar lock and slave with good aspect it can go 30 degrees off bore.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

the problem is it not track the target even if i got a vertical scan lock and i am in position to shoot and i hear the lock warning all set and then launch and .... it always went stupid i tried most of short range missiles in DCS i used to fly J-11 so i know how to shoot short range missile but this one , i dont know why PL-5 acting like this

and what is the range of PL-5 anyway cuz i think there is something wrong and that is not my first time trying to shoot PL-5 and missed i tried Vertical scan and i tried radar lock

Edited by Chiron

the problem is it not track the target even if i got a vertical scan lock and i am in position to shoot and i hear the lock warning all set and then launch and .... it always went stupid i tried most of short range missiles in DCS i used to fly J-11 so i know how to shoot short range missile but this one i dont know why PL-5 acting like this

No, the problem is that Pakistan airforce was such a cheap weight who refuse to pay a little bit extra money for the helmet sight, EOS and PL-9 :lol:

So we are now stuck with the Pakistan in service version of the plane.

No, the problem is that Pakistan airforce was such a cheap weight who refuse to pay a little bit extra money for the helmet sight, EOS and PL-9 :lol:

So we are now stuck with the Pakistan in service version of the plane.

unfortunately yes

IDK, I have a few kills with it. But its no Aim9x, that's for sure.

I mainly use it if fights ever get to the merge (seldomly). Or when Helo/TF-51 hunting on blueflag as the SD-10 doesn't really do well vs helos or other low flyers in the hills.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its working decently but I noticed it has difficulty to lock on (no solid loud tone after uncage) in head to head scenario but I guess maybe realistic. Once it got locked then it rarely missed even fired on near max range.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

then i will try to share some tacview files so u can tell me if something wrong i do or not

Also upload the trackfile!!! Tacview is nice for debriefing/tactic stuff but it will not show us what you saw/did before and while shooting the missile(did it even lock...), it's much more helpfull then a tacview file.

They are working ok for me, SP, not flying much/often MP.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Also upload the trackfile!!! Tacview is nice for debriefing/tactic stuff but it will not show us what you saw/did before and while shooting the missile(did it even lock...), it's much more helpfull then a tacview file.

They are working ok for me, SP, not flying much/often MP.

yes i always get lock ofc and i tried radar lock and vertical scan lock

I think I read somewhere it is comparable to the AIM-9L. Slightly better than the P in that it can get a head-on lock, and has higher maneuvering margins, but it isn't great.

I think min range is 1 NM or 1.5 NM so inside of that you may find the missile goes "dumb" because it loses the target before it can track it.

Better go guns if you're that close.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

It's pretty OK to me. I've traded frequently with hornets firing amraams. Basically full aspect. The lock is very strong if enemy is AB. It is very fast for a fox2 as well. At 30kft+, all you need is lock and you can get kills 10nm+. But yeah it's not a BVR missile. Normally expect to trade at best and laugh at enemy for dying to cheapest missile on cheapest fighter. If you want 0 deaths then RTB after using the SD10s. Using more expensive fox2s on a support fighter is probably about as useful for PAF as installing a better gun. If they were gna install all that then might as well buy more F16s instead.

It's pretty OK to me. I've traded frequently with hornets firing amraams. Basically full aspect. The lock is very strong if enemy is AB. It is very fast for a fox2 as well. At 30kft+, all you need is lock and you can get kills 10nm+. But yeah it's not a BVR missile. Normally expect to trade at best and laugh at enemy for dying to cheapest missile on cheapest fighter. If you want 0 deaths then RTB after using the SD10s. Using more expensive fox2s on a support fighter is probably about as useful for PAF as installing a better gun. If they were gna install all that then might as well buy more F16s instead.

True but from what i saw my missile lose lock the moment i launch him

yes i always get lock ofc and i tried radar lock and vertical scan lock

Just upload a short track showing your problem, i'm NOT saying you are stupid but maybe the trackfile will show a step you are missing or are misinterpreting because you are used to a slightly differnet procedure from another module or you found a bug or what ever, only a track file will show.

Again, i don't want to assume anything but there was a user in the F-18 sub forum complaining and lament about the Harm and god and the world saying the Harm is broken/not working and in the end the only "problem" was he missed one step(make it SOI).

It can be just a little thing causing the trouble, but it's hard to try to help you if everything (info) we have is "missile lose lock the moment i launch him" and the experience of other users is different.

:beer:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

True but from what i saw my missile lose lock the moment i launch him

Are you slaving it to radar? There is a binding that will make the PL5 circle shake around the radar lock trying to catch it. If you use that then seeker is less likely to lose lock if you accidentally push target out of boresight limits as its leaving the rail.

what do u mean by that ?

what i do if i am using vertical scan is lock + Tone i shoot

with Radar i only try to be in lower than max range and shoot

It’s a Hoyas button. Go to your adjust controls and find something saying uncage, I don’t remember the exact binding. But when you press it the small circle on your heads up display when you have the PL-5 selected will start to move around, if you have a radar lock the circle will move to the radar lock and it allows you to fire the missile at better angles. I find it tracks better too.

yup thx so much i found it and now i can fire PL-5 perfectly and my mistake i was relaying on radar lock even vertical scan use radar lock so that was my mistake i am not waiting for the missile to see the target i need to have a visual on target also it help me to determinate that PL-5 will see the target also and my other mistake is was shooting the missile form a wrong angel

Edited by Chiron