The Rookie Thread

You have to save a track intentionally from the debriefing screen, there is no automatic track saving. If you don't change the default destination folder, you should find them in your "Saved Games\BlackShark 2\Tracks" folder (Win7).

Users/"account name"(think that's right)/Saved Games/Blackshark 2/tracks.

To post click go advance then the paperclip icon on the toolbar.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Thanks for the quick reply,looked there but the folder is empty,so i did not save it properly,shame i really wanted some feed back on my second flight and first eject,have to have another go and see if i can do it right this time without crashing or ejecting.

IIRC the latest track is being saved automatically to your <gamefolder>\Temp\

Can anyone confirm?

Hi Luigi.

Had a look in the temp folder as you said and the folder is empty,could i be doing something wrong when saving the trak, i click the save trak button in the debriefing window,give it a name like first eject,it has a default file path and click save,but can not find it anywhere! not even in the default file path.

David

That's weird. I did a brief testrun with BS1 today to check the file locations.

Ah, I see BS1 offers the "Tracks" folder of the BS1 installatioin path as a default file path. May be you don't have the permission (by Windows) to write into that folder? That would explain the missing track file... My installation is on a different drive (E:\) than Windows so it doesn't conflict with the default Windows file and folder permissions.

Multiplayer flights are automatically saved but as far as I know SP tracks aren't.

Not at client side. At least, all my tracks in "Saved Games\DCS BlackShark 2\Tracks\Multiplayer" originate from sessions that I hosted.

Sorry, I assumed BS2. In BS your last flown missioin track is located in the "Temp" folder of your BS1 installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Temp"

Let's establish some facts (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

1. in BS 1 you could find the most recent track in the Temp folder in the game folder
  2. ...including multiplayer clientside (regular player's) sessions

Now, personally I'm not a big fan, to say the least, of applications roaming with their stuff all over my disk drive as the whole Documents and Settings organization in Windows sucks, topped with frivolous approach of many developers. I doubt we can convince ED to go back to the old files layout but if these changes haven't been properly documented that would be really amateurish. Are you guys sure the directories of player's interest are not listed in the GUI manual?

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

The devs are following the multi-user security conventions for Windows 7. I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong to call anything amateurish in this case.

Now, personally I'm not a big fan, to say the least, of applications roaming with their stuff all over my disk drive as the whole Documents and Settings organization in Windows sucks, topped with frivolous approach of many developers. I doubt we can convince ED to go back to the old files layout but if these changes haven't been properly documented that would be really amateurish. Are you guys sure the directories of player's interest are not listed in the GUI manual?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The devs are following the multi-user security conventions for Windows 7. I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong to call anything amateurish in this case.

You misunderstood me. I'd call lack of proper documentation re the changes in directories layout ammateurish, if that's the case. I specifically highlighted that 'keep your files in the program installation folder' is my personal preference, and nothing more.

Edited by Bucic

Hello,

What is the difference between the KA-50 Game Mode and the KA-50 Sim Mode?

Thanks in advance,

Ron Sagel

The answer is clearly laid out in the GUI manual. Pleaser refer to it. If you intend to spend some time with DCS BS enjoying its main advantage, realism, do not use the 'easy mode'.

Also Sticky: Rookie pilots - Quick Intro

A couple of questions that arised while flying the BS2 since a long time.

The first picture shows a big difference between Shkval and HUD range. The laser is quite fresh there and I'm definately in range. I don't remember seeing this before.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60627&stc=1&d=1325015858

The situation in the second pic kept bugging me for the whole RTB leg. After killing all targets I switched to NAV mode, all weapons off, laser off, datalink cleared etc but I still get target queing symbology on the HUD. I remember having this in BS1 also and no switch flicking cleared it. I didn't try to turn off any systems though but cycled through different NAV and TGT modes and used my Shkval too but the symbology was stuck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60628&stc=1&d=1325015858

Screen_111227_210827.thumb.jpg.47e416cbde786a70d937c056b6a3140c.jpg

Screen_111227_212605.thumb.jpg.eb74e2cd6c1da48a0f0772e22edc9a79.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the game and am finding it totally foreign to me as opposed to A10. I downloaded some very blurry, non interactive movies for training but am wondering if DCS supplied some interactive tutorials to get me up and running.

• Like 1

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to using my 2nd monitor (19" 1280x1024) and successfuly got the Shkval and ABRIS being displayed, but I would like to ask the more experienced pilots....

...is it better to use more of the display for the Shkval or the ABRIS?

Obviously its a balance but would you recommended 50/50 or 65/35 split based on how useful it is to see detail?

more on the schvall as you'll use that more

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||