The Rookie Thread

noc,

loadouts:

I have no idea. Bug Boberro :P

PVI-800 coordinates input:

There's at least one topic dedicated to the subject. You can try searching for Strongharm's and Frederf's posts/topics. The sooner you'll learn how to do advanced forum searches, the better.

Wingman dies silently:

Are you sure you're on the right radio (forgot the radio name) mode? Do you hear him before he dies? Also if he gets a tank projectile directly into the cockpit you obviously will not get any "oh bugger, I'm dying" over the radio.

you'll note I spotted him as he went down in flames but the irony is, when he clipped me as a result of ordering a recce from a file formation. R/L formation is the best.

I'll do a search on the posts you mentioned. Thanks again. :smilewink:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Guys I know this isnt in the manual. How do I set a loadout into the radio menu keys? like Ground Crew --> Change Loadout --> Antitank --> Zebra

and Zebra is for instance my selected and saved and exported loadout at the planner, of mixed KH-25ML/ Vikhr/ Bomb/ Rockets/ Cannon 9A42?

Please advise cuz I read the manual and its just not there. From what I've read searching, its in a file called unitloadout but for the love of God, I cant place that file in the steam version because there is no Saved Games folder in the Users/ directory on my computer.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

OK, so I'll settle with editing the mission then. Cheers.

so, while being away on the editing, I decided to do this:

i hope i dont get crucified by you guys, specially harcore ppl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S5opvo48SQ

so, while being away on the editing, I decided to do this:

i hope i dont get crucified by you guys, specially harcore ppl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S5opvo48SQ

It seems that SME is a hardcore sim group that didn't like what they saw :P

It seems that SME is a hardcore sim group that didn't like what they saw :P

yeah :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

New BS player here (had the game for approx. 2 weeks). Just posting to thank everyone here for the excellent information.

Earlier on I had my first successful (controlled, aircraft doing what I want almost exactly) flight with the Flight Director Override turned off. I must say, I didn't think I'd ever be able to cooperate with the AP turned on. After taking the advice given in this thread (flying with FD override on, using the trimmer hold technique), learning the fundamentals, then switching back to full AP and short, regular trimmer setting I think I've finally got the knack of it.

Big thanks to everyone who took the time to lay it all out, assemble the wiki resources page, and stickies lists. :D

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

New player here as well. Black Shark is my first flight sim since the Falcon 4 and Longbow 2 days. Back in those days an interactive cockpit was more a dream than a reality. I must say I'm amazed with Black Shark and I'm totally immersed in learning to fly it and I have yet to fire a shot.

This forum has provided a wealth of information so far and I'd like to thank all those who have contributed.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, new pilot here.

I've been poking the blackshark for 2 weeks now and I have basic understanding of it's systems. Done all of the tutorials, as well as watching commentary movies and browsing forums, but I still have some questions (and probably will for a long time) about some aspects of flight. Unfortunately, my x52 pro is busted and I won't be performing any tests myself for some time, but I can spend this time gathering some knowledge, can't I? ;)

So here's the first set of questions that intrigue me:

1. Is there any practical use of the engine throttle in mid-flight apart from emergency situations? Should I program separate throttles for separate analog axes (as well as both at the same time to the third)?

2. Does that lever, or hatch, that's being retracted when I pull the throttles up control the "AUTO" mode of the engines? Is the "AUTO" mode engaged when the throttles are all the way up, or I just need to move it a little? Can somebody please explain to me what's exactly happening in this mode?

3. In flight manual, as well as training missions, it is stated that the x-feed valve should be closed when both engines are operating normally, but the sticky startup checklist thread says that I should ope it at the startup. Which one is correct?

4. To get the proper readings from barometric altimeter I need to input a correct barometric pressure of environment I'm operating in. Where can I obtain this information?

5. After patching the game, I don't always see the current IAS on the hud after I lift off. I do understand that it's related to the shkval system, but It's not always there when I fly it with the targeting system off. How do I initiate it?

6. I've been trying to follow the traffic pattern I learned from tutorials, but it's really difficult. The first 3 turns are at 240 deg. to the inner NDB, and when I turn forth time at the direction of 285 deg, I miss the runway and my flight is always parallel to it. The distance is usually about 20-30 meters. What do I do wrong?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

1. Single engine failure = remaining engine EMER setting. Don't really bother with taking up an axis with them, the only point would be to smoothly increase throttle at start up for the emotional aspect or controlling throttle at engine sensor failure (which never happens). PageUp/Down is just fine.

2. The wire bar is there to require a specific lift-over action to increase beyond the AUTO setting so that it's hard to do so accidentally. AUTO is simply two steps up from low idle and one step down from maximum.

3. Leave crossfeed closed unless you have a fuel imbalance or below 110KG in either tank.

4. You have to set the altimeter to your elevation and memorize this setting to know what "QNH" is. AI ATC will only give you QNE. You can look up your true altitude in flight via ABRIS GNS data or F2-F10 views if you need to update it in flight.

5. HUD doesn't show IAS ever, it shows ground speed. The Shkval shows IAS. HUD might not show the radar ground speed if the radar system isn't able to adequately determine speed.

6. Which landing tutorial?

Ah, 15 degree lead angle doesn't seem like enough? The options are fly slower, turn harder, or turn sooner. Plenty of real world pilots will make their base-to-final turn much softer than any of the other turns to prevent overshooting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've played the how to take of and blow stuff up tutorial mission and I can handle that one now. Which other missions (built in or third party) are good for practicing? I started doing the missions in the game but I find it to be really hard to spot the enemies on the ground.

Edited by Spenen
  • Like 1

I've played the how to take of and blow stuff up tutorial mission and I can handle that one now. Which other missions (built in or third party) are good for practicing? I started doing the missions in the game but I find it to be really hard to spot the enemies on the ground.

Boy-with-binoculars.png

There are two general methods:

1. Visual.

2. Shkval.

2.a. Shkval+datalink.

2.b. Shkval+HMS

0. Rule.

Know where to look for (proper intelligence, mission briefing, characteristic terrain reference points, map in your hand or in ABRIS)! Always know your position and heading.

1. There's not much to be added. You sweep through the terrain left-right, back and forth, zooming in the meantime. TrackIR is helpful. Assigning zoom to an axis (slider) helps a lot too. If not possible, learn how to use the keyboard shortcuts for zoom and snap views. Make sure to use at least 2x antialiasing for resolutions as low as 1280x1024@19". 8x recommended as it inflicts same FPS loss as 4x.

2. Make sure you read the manual chapter on Shkval through and through and that you understood it fully. Test: By watching only shkval monitor you have to know where you look at outside (at what angles and distance).

Watch demo tracks delivered with DCS BS and watch other people's tracks. You can also subscribe to the YouTube channel with uncut campaign gameplay videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/Dvdlpt

2.a. Can Shkval point you to Datalink Target from Abris?

2.b. Refer to the manual.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

guys having read the f manual ;) I have some problems.

First, the Shooting Range mission. I can't achieve 100% completion for a number of reasons:

1- the mission is opening at dusk and a sortie is the last to be in the clear lights of day.

2- Squall cant autolock targets at night. At least TA which appears at daylight doesnt at night (I know use the S-8OM or the S-8TsM to mark position or 1 million candles for 35 secs) but the issue is also the darn rockets.

3- The rockets. There is a correction table starboardside the cockpit window and I cant understand it. I have to be very close to the bunker or the tank, use the reticle steady as she goes, until 4 rockets finish it (S8-KOM not the S-8OFP since the latter is for light armour and soft skinned targets.)

4- The bomblet dispenser. Parameters to launch as in height (50-150 m which brings me to unit measurement not working in cockpit after setting to metric in options), speed, target alignment and readout laser range-finder applicable range on the Squall (10 m error allowance)

5- The other missiles in game. Are they to be for future modules?

6- Shooting Range mission targets (I want to use data link to send targetted units to me, so I select Enter (which is Edit) on the nav knob, select Target or WPT then a number from 1-10 then uncage squall and designate target (laser on STBY) then press lock again the on DL make sure to have unit code selected (I tried 1-4 and presses on DL itself too, the DL ALL, nothing). Target type, unit, send mem. NOTHING!!! Do I have to have a second flight on this mission for DL to work? Does DL mark neutral or otherwise unoccupied vehicles?

7- The FAB-250 and 500 GPFFUGB (or general purpose free fall unGuided bombs). Parameters for launch as in speed? dive angle? height? range on squall and squall reticle ^ and > alignment to midline?

Take all the time but come up good. Ya? Thanks

c'mon guys!!!

AFAIK

I'll have mercy :P Although I don't even have BS installed.

2. There was a dedicated topic on using shkval at poor lighting cond. + beyond maximum range. I personally usually chose to avoid it. It really makes you hate Ka-50.

3. There's not much to understand IIRC. The switch usage should be described somewhere in the manual. It also has been answered somewhere on the forums. Wasn't there a mod for that purpose (different reference table)?

4. IIRC Wags has a video on dispenser deployment on his YT channel (or ED's channel) as well as a full series (producer's notes) on weapon employment (Ka-50).

3,4. Manual chapter 11 should do. If you'd like to avoid everyone sending you back to the manual all the time always try to provide info on the manual fragment (page number e.g. 11-9) you rely upon currently to give others a starting point.

5. What other missiles are you referring to? Ka-50 only uses Vikhrs and that won't change as far as DCS is concerned.

6. I think you need to review DL tutorials. There's something fishy about your workflow ;)

When mission starts there will be no DL targets. You'll have to create them yourself. DL marks what and how you chose it. It has no IFF-comparable capabilities. As the whole Ka-50 system suite. I also don't think that DL:

- has something to do with the PVI-*

- can create DL targets without involvment of Shkval

Posts and topics on the subject by users Strongharm and Frederf are guaranteed to be of high value.

7. Same as above - very few people will have anything to add above what has been stated in the manual. As for the bombs employment I can only add that you shouldn't do it from hover :D (i.e. do it from medium speed pass or dive).

Try reading that again through and trough and see if you might have missed something: Rookie pilots - Quick Intro

Edited by Bucic

As far as bombs and rockets are concerned :)