Broken LOD on WWII unit Blitz_36-6700A, invisible beyond ~2km

ralgha

In the WWII asset pack there's a German vehicle called Blitz_36-6700A which appears to have broken LOD. This unit is completely invisible until the view gets within maybe 2km or so, at which point it suddenly pops into view. This makes gun runs rather irritating. I tried parking some other vehicles right next to it such as Tiger_I and Kubelwagen_82 and they didn't have this problem. The problem can be observed in VR as well as on a monitor. On a monitor, I paused the sim and pointed the camera at a group of several types of units. I then zoomed in and out and watched these Blitz vehicles pop in and out of view while the other units next to them stayed visible the whole time.

I found an old thread from 2011 about this problem that suggests the UAZ was similarly broken in the past. I was able to work around this problem by adding the following line to my autoexec.cfg file (location and syntax described here):

options.graphics.Camera.High.lodMult = 2.0

Note that it may be necessary to change "High" to some other preset name. The presets and other options are described in DCS\Config\graphics.lua. I tried a setting of 1.5 for lodMult as well but it was only partially effective. The issue was completely resolved by setting it to 2.0. I didn't notice any change in framerate doing this but I didn't do any major testing for that. I also tried changing other options besides lodMult but none of them had any effect.

I'm pretty sure I've run into this problem in the past with other ground units but never bothered debugging it until now. Hopefully this info helps someone. And it would be great if this unit got fixed at some point.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...