after win 10 update usb not working

Thanks BM, however i'm not dong any serious oc ing ram 2400Mhz and cpu 4.1Ghz this has been rock stable until last windows update as far as I can tell it's driver related/usb enumeration as all the usb hubs are fine in device manager and now updated, it seems to be that windows identify s the external usb devices enumerates them but then wont load the driver or says it has determined the best driver is already loaded.

For instance I connected my xbox controller windows identified it and said it was installing it, then it said that the controller was ready for use. However in device manager other devices the controller has the triangle and exclamation mark as an unknown device and properties say no driver loaded. so I tell it to check for updated drivers and here is the kicker xbox controller is an unknown device and in properties has error codes etc. Then further down the device manager list the xbox controler is listed with what appears to be correct details and properties.

I did have a sort of win yesterday when I was able to install the driver for the Rift sensor but no rift. :cry:

Edited by FragBum

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Are you sure you're external USB (hub?) is not defective? Or perhaps the cable is defective? It really shouldn't be this hard, so I'm thinking you have a defective part.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

no all internal on board usb, that seems fine as i did a quick install on another ssd in same machine and all okay, i'm just trying to not reinstall everything again but it's looking like the only option. :cry:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Have you checked IO and SA volts, the IO gives you this damn USB sound every other minute, USB-ON...USB Off...USB On...USB Off.....etc etc etc.. if the Volt is too far off the stable setting.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

No I haven't modified any voltages, all stock.

/RANT MODE ON\

AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK MS! :mad:

/RANT MODE OFF\ :music_whistling:

No DCS for like a week,..Man :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=180021&stc=1&d=1519731569

Yes I have 2 actual keyboards installed testing stuff, but that's not the issue. :huh:

usb_state.JPG.8c4696fc3c037933b3b6d00342dc91af.JPG

Read win-raid.com USB forum section, I can only say this again.

Deinstall your odd drivers and reinstall them in newest version as described. It cant harm to read that up.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hmm windows 10 ... bestest version lol

You could try holding shift while selecting the restart option in the login

screen, when the option for special start-up options appears then select safe

mode boot , after booting in safe mode do a normal restart

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Okay I am really thinking its time to re install, it's broken.

I'm getting a perpetual there is a problem with you ms account. So I log in then it tells me I'm not connected to the internet... What?

Sometimes when I shutdown it tells me other user are logged in and they may loose their work if I shut down. I am the only one logged on.

Most of the usb stuff it's complaining (if not all) requires no drivers and there are no drivers available full stop yet I get error code 28!

This morning windows notifications tells me it couldn't install an update, yet it had installed the update.

Yet in sisoft and ada64 it's fine and working to peak performance. :mad:

No seriously windows 10 sucks,.. period.

Check you VCC-IO + VCC-SA voltage !!! on Zx70 Intel boards.

Likely, yours in action is ca. 1.3v.....far too high

Try that....few minutes and you know.

io:0.95 / sa:1.05v = default = standard clock + light OC

1.10/1.15 for medium OC --> might do it with default

1.2/1.3 heavy OC ----> ONLY..AND ONLY if your USB bugs, stay as LOW as you possibly can without loosing connection, too high is even worse. Also, too high = extra heat no one needs.

Mine on Auto is North of 1.2/1.35.....it actually ONLY needs 0.95 and 1.05 up to 5G.

This circuit controls all your USB

@ FragBum: No need to look further and no need to dig into voltage settings. In the comment on the latest Windows update (13/2 or 14/2), Microsoft mentioned that there could be USB problems after installing this update. There's also a how to on how to roll back (3 possible ways through the CMD prompt).

I'm not at home right now (this is a Windows 7) so i can't look into Windows 10 update for details but you'll find it in there.

Windows 10 forums mention the same problem as you have (or variations on it like mine).

PS: On my setup, the rollback came with an error... LOL. Way to go M$, really slik. But then i only have the Generic SuperSpeed hub who's playing up, not all USB ports.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Well I did a clean install from a fairly up to date DVD and well at least I have a keyboard, but!

Rift installed and downloading DCS 2.5 just maybe if I don't look at device manager I can ignore this and maybe get some stick time. mind you I am tempted to do a WIN 7 install win 10 is madness at this time.

I have been following some on line forums but I think win 10 is currently a mess, sad as when it works it's pretty good. If only I could get all the spyware and krap out of it,.. mmm

Oh yeah I tried roll back and windows said nope can't do that,..

attachment.php?attachmentid=180178&stc=1&d=1519939061

But_I_have_a_keyboard.thumb.JPG.e7536741ac3316250f52eb6a873e3146.JPG

disconnect from the net, install 10 again on blanked drive, attach only mouse and keyboard, NO Rift, no nothing. Keep it simple. Turn off Updates in Windows 10 ( iirc, only 10 Pro has this option ). Install chipset, usb, sound, network and gpu and you should be done. If there are then any "?" or "!" in your device manager, you either did it wrong for some reason ( DVD defect ? ) or your system has a a problem beyond drivers. Maybe load Bios defaults once to clean that out.

It cant be that you end up with such a device manager unless what Lange_666 says is your case, that could well be. Therefor, install offline, pull the plug physically.

This is what the "known issues" say on the Windows update (KB4074588)

x2B7TeK.png

It clearly says: keyboard and/or mouse may stop working.

I wonder how Microsoft can release an update with this as a "known issue" since these are the main input devices on any computer. It's like bringing your car to garage to get an update done only to find it back without wheels. Then the garageholder says: oh yeah, sorry 'bout that, it's a known issue within the update...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I think it's a case of get it out the door and the vast unwashed majority aka "us" can deal with it, lets face it seems a majority didn't get any issues.

Agree with the analogy or at least the upgraded wheels might end up square and not round. :)

This is what the "known issues" say on the Windows update (KB4074588)

x2B7TeK.png

It clearly says: keyboard and/or mouse may stop working.

I wonder how Microsoft can release an update with this as a "known issue" since these are the main input devices on any computer. It's like bringing your car to garage to get an update done only to find it back without wheels. Then the garageholder says: oh yeah, sorry 'bout that, it's a known issue within the update...

The key here, and I am not defending Uncle Bill, is that it says 'some'. I would imagine that their statistical analysis reported that the issue would only affect a limited number (by some standard) of users which made it acceptable. The FDA approves medications that have side effects, including death, that only affect a small percentage of the test groups.

My sim box is connected to the net via a USB 3 wifi dongle. I recently had to hard wire it to the router to get the latest updates to install since they disabled my USB 3 during the installation process.

I would definitely consider this unacceptable, but then I would also consider a major memory leak to be unacceptable as well. Life sucks, and there is always another patch. ;)

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

What doesn't help is microsofts arrogance where when you go to install the driver for say my onboard USB 3.1 and windows promptly announces that the best driver for this device microsofts very own 1.1 version no less is already installed. :mad:

Gone are the days where we got sold "F I N I S H E D" products.

They all, including ED, MS, plain everybody sells you unfinished products, banana politics, ripe at the customers place.

15 years ago, I would have kicked them off my yard for even trying that. Today, it is defacto standard that the customer only gets unfinished software products.

This always the next update means only i thi ng to me: It never fully works !

reminds me of some Suites that revolve to new version with early bugs before they fix all of the old ones from last version. Names that come to my mind are Acronis, Avira, and a few more.

"next version, next version we have this and that, it's gonna be GREATER THA EVER"

Screw that bigger better faster .

Make it work, then sell it. Be a man with pride or be someone who tries to steal money, knowing very well he can never fulfill his part of the deal.

My good ol' mom would have not given them a handshake, literally spoken. This ain't integer despite anybody does it.

Mircrosoft has a lot tougher job because the vast majority of possible hardware combinations out there (Apple has only it's own hardware to deal with). It's not possible to test all these combinations before any patch/upgrade simply because there are so many.

But then, ... incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in this cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance... is clearly a bug, not a "not tested hardware combo".

After the installation, Windows should recognise that it has a driver missing (which is does through the device manager giving an error) but then keeps telling that the latest driver is installed or that you can not uninstall it and install a new one. And that is the buggy part...

I know my fav OS was NT4 (unfortunately OS Warp whilst good in the day sunk) The NT4 programmers had to eat their own poo and use NT4 to develop this apparently kept them (the development team) honest. Then presumably marketing got involved it wasn't good enough to be well pretty much rock solid the product had to have the power of the $hawtz

I know right I showing my age,.. :)

What doesn't help is microsofts arrogance where when you go to install the driver for say my onboard USB 3.1 and windows promptly announces that the best driver for this device microsofts very own 1.1 version no less is already installed. :mad:

The issues like this are not confined to MS or even the computer industry. Every industry does QA tests and nothing passes 100% of the time. The problem arises when you have a 0.01% failure rate, which is statistically small, but you have 100 million customers.

EDIT: @FragBum Oh wow! NT4 was sweet. Pretty much everything worked the way it was supposed to and my support tasks were 99% user related. Yeah, I am old too! ;) I still have NT4 installation CD's.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Today, it is defacto standard that the customer only gets unfinished software products.

So true. And not only in PC/Cell phone software but also in software for PLC's (operating and controlling software), robot software etc...

Robot software as example: 35 years ago you needed 2 lines of code to control a welding gun to set a welding point, today these 2 lines have increased to 800 to do the same thing. Agreed, it includes a lot more then just welding (controlwise) but it makes it x-times more complex also to do in the end what was done before, set a welding point.

So true. And not only in PC/Cell phone software but also in software for PLC's (operating and controlling software), robot software etc...

Robot software as example: 35 years ago you needed 2 lines of code to control a welding gun to set a welding point, today these 2 lines have increased to 800 to do the same thing. Agreed, it includes a lot more then just welding (controlwise) but it makes it x-times more complex also to do in the end what was done before, set a welding point.

Indeed. In another lifetime, I designed shielding products for the secure data comm world. I used to be able to go over to the shop and bend/weld my own test parts and then send the simple drawings to the shop. By the time I left that field, the drawings had to be adapted to the way Computer Automated Manufacturing machines worked. It was twice as much work to get the shop to make a simple piece, and that made for so much more room for errors, and the end product was the same.

@ cichlidfan up to a few years ago I hat a few NT4 Workstation and a server install CD's.

I remember attempting to write C ISR's and crashing 95 often but then NT4 essentially sand boxed my code and didn't bring down the OS when I poked instead of peeked or sometimes pushed instead of popped the stack,.. :)

Yes you had to break part of the HAL to access the 8250/16550's :music_whistling: