PSVR in DCS, will it work?

sirrah

Forgive me if this was asked before (couldn't find it in the forum search).

As the topic says: is it possible to use a Playstation VR headset in DCS?

Though I didn't try it yet, it seems possible to connect the psvr to a pc and use it in combination with Steam. Does anyone here know if it's possible to get it to work with DCS? I know, graphics will be bad, if at all possible, but it would be a cheap way to enjoy/experience DCS in virtual reality.

(Oh, and would my old gaming laptop specs, see below, be sufficient, with graphics set to minimum)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I gave it a try, but the scale if too far off (everything looks toy-ish small). Maybe when the IPD slider is implemented, it'll work better.

Thanks for the feedback Tintifaxl

Due to general lack of time, it has been a long time since I started up dcs, so I don't know what IPD stands for. But, between the lines I understand you say I'd better at least wait for a dcs update and spare myself the trouble trying it out :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Due to general lack of time, it has been a long time since I started up dcs, so I don't know what IPD stands for. But, between the lines I understand you say I'd better at least wait for a dcs update and spare myself the trouble trying it out :P

It works really well for me with no scale issues - and I've got hundreds of hours playing DCS with it - it's an adequate substitute / good taster until you can get proper PCVR, and it's free to try. There are some downsides, which I'll explain but it's no where near as bad as you'd expect with it being a PS4 headset.

First up, you'll need a program called Trinus PSVR from here: https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

Some things worth knowing:

- Trinus PSVR is free to download and trial in 15 minute segments, so you can get everything set up and see how it'll look and see whether it's something you want to use - then just buy the license to remove the 15 minute limit.

- The license is limited to one installation on one PC, but you just email their support to get it reactivated.

- Follow some instructions to install drivers for Trinus, and then once it's ready, plonk the headset down flat on your desk and click start and it'll calibrate. It'll then show you a blurry view of a second monitor (which is normal) - start Steam VR and it'll then show a 3D view of the Steam home. Then start DCS (either in steam or standalone, it doesn't matter) and you'll be in-game.

- The headset is limited to the number of frames your main monitor can receive, so in my case I can only get 60hz to the PSVR, but you can get 120hz if your monitor supports it (good luck actually getting that in DCS though...)

- You need to bind a key to 'reset' the view in Trinus - the dreaded PSVR drift is just a problem with the gyros and is still present when using it on a PC, so you'll fairly regularly have to hit the reset button to face forwards. I use space bar as it's the easiest key to find when you've got the headset on (just remember to unbind shoot from that key in your bindings!).

- The last tab in trinus has something which allows you to adjust the yaw of the headset, sometimes you'll end up with 'forward' not being where you want 'forward' to be (so when you look forward and press reset it'll look left/right), use the yaw slider to move where 'forward' is.

- It really, really benefits from super sampling which you need to set in the Steam VR options (when Steam VR is running click the drop-down and go to settings). On 1.0 it looks like every PSVR game, on 1.6 it looks great (the lack of screendoor with the RGB pixels really helps here). I've been in the A10C cockpit in both the PSVR and Samsung Odyssey - the PSVR really didn't feel far behind.

- The headset is locked to 3DOF (i.e. you can look all around, but your viewpoint is a fixed position in the cockpit, you can't move forwards/backwards or left/right). Apparently you can use PS3 cameras to add 6DOF but I haven't tried it.

- Make sure you bind the VR zoom in the UI Layer in the DCS controls to an easily-reachable button on your HOTAS, really helps with making everything clear in VR!

In summary - given I already had the PSVR, it was a great way to try out PCVR games before I splashed out on a headset made for the job on PC. It works well enough in both DCS and Elite Dangerous (with the caveats above). I ended up buying the Samsung Odyssey to get the benefit of 6DOF, and better tracking / 90hz, but I actually still have to use the PSVR as the Odyssey won't work with my setup for more than a couple of minutes (still troubleshooting that one with Microsoft).

Edited by backspace340

Thanks for the info Backspace

I just tried out Trinus PSVR 15 min trial version. Unfortunately time was up before I got it to work properly... Apparently Radeon cards should be set to pixel format: "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)" to get it working

Thought I'd share...

System specs:

Sirrah the 15 minute trial can be run over and over again (just click 'start' again!). It just won't allow you to play continuously for more than 15 minutes until it's unlocked.

Lol :megalol:

Ok, thanks! :P

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

Finally got everything up and running (thanks to a little help from Backspace :P) and I must say I'm positively surprised by the quality!!

I only briefly tested it (Su-25T) without HOTAS and with gfx set to low, but even then it looks better than, or at least equal to, most PS4 VR games I've tried so far :surprise:

No scaling problems whatsoever.

Despite all the stutters (my pc specs definately are to outdated for VR) it really felt like I was up there between the clouds :pilotfly: and I even managed to execute a nicely flared landing using the arrow keys :P (VR helps a lot in estimating/feeling distances).

This is a great/cheap way to get a taster of DCS in VR, especially if your pc is powerfull enough for the job. Being locked to 3DOF didn't bother me at all, alltough 6DOF would of course be way better. Anyway, for those having doubts trying DCS with PSVR, I'd advise it's worth the trouble!

Edited by sirrah
typo

System specs:

Inter pupil distance aka how far apart your eyes are.

• 3 weeks later...

Has someone tested it already with the DCS 2.5 Version?

I just tried it the first time to connect my PSVR to the PC and i unfortunately have a lot of Double Images/Jittering/Stutters while moving my head.

In general it runs good with stable 60 FPS as my monitor don't support more and therefore the PSVR is locked to 60 FPS.

Anyways my Steam VR give me a message that the program is running to slow and this will affect my experience. Something must be wrong with the Steam Drivers as well.....

My Specs are GTX 1060 6GB, I7 7700, 16 GB RAM, SSD so it should be run quite good on my rig, no?

Has someone tested it already with the DCS 2.5 Version?

I just tried it the first time to connect my PSVR to the PC and i unfortunately have a lot of Double Images/Jittering/Stutters while moving my head.

In general it runs good with stable 60 FPS as my monitor don't support more and therefore the PSVR is locked to 60 FPS.

Anyways my Steam VR give me a message that the program is running to slow and this will affect my experience. Something must be wrong with the Steam Drivers as well.....

My Specs are GTX 1060 6GB, I7 7700, 16 GB RAM, SSD so it should be run quite good on my rig, no?

It's actually working better in 2.5 than it was in 1.5.8 for me - seems to be smoother all around (as well as looking nicer!). It sounds like maybe your graphics settings are too high (that sounds like you're just getting low FPS) - have you used the PSVR in DCS before?

For 2.5 I have deferred shading on, MSAA off and Ansiotropic filtering off (check if you've got MSAA on as that's a killer I hear and would explain low frame rates).