Rudder full manual control

Hi there,

I've turned off the autopilot helper off in the special settings for Mi-8. I also didn't turn on the heading autopilot/trim switch during flight. However, the rudder seems to have a mind of its own. When I turn the rudder pedals in a certain direction the controls get fixed or trimmed in that place and changing them to a different direction does not happen quickly; it takes sometime or delay.

Q1. Is there a way to fly the Mi-8 with full rudder manual control like in the huey? Although I don't mind the trim or helper which sets them in a certain position for long flights but when transitioning from flight to hover it can cause problem because they take time in adjusting.

Q2. I've read over and over again in numerous posts that one should keep trimming the mi-8 during the entirety of the flight. How do I do that? Is it the stick trim (roll and yaw)? or something else?

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Q2: Yes, you should always update the trim when making turns, changing speed etc. And after that you should have the AI adjust the trim-channels again.

Either turn on "Autopilot Adjustment" under SPECIAL (AI trims the helicopter constantly), or (my preference) bind the command "Adjust Autopilot" to a button on your stick to ask the AI to trim the helicopter and leave it until next time you ask for a trim adjust.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Oh, I see I wasn't specific about what to trim.. I meant the roll/pitch trim on the cyclic.

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me and I think for most users it is just trimming the aircraft constantly using the cyclic trim.

Personally I never use the Autopilot trim as this tends to trim out the helicopter without the real pilot (you and me) knowing what has changed. The auto pilot trim would probably be great with a free and fluid conversation between pilot and engineer...... but alas this a long way off.

But the cyclic trim I "KlaK" with every minor adjust and hold of the cyclic.... that trim button must be the most serviced and replaced button on the entire MI-8!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The reason you balance out the autopilot channels is because you can trim yourself into a corner where you can't trim more in the direction you need to go.

The impact of the balancing that the Crew Chief does is minimal, and all you need to do is adjust the cyclic while it's being done, then trim again and you're good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]