F-15 and BVR question - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
<Blaze>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
More or less, in terms of fly-out.

No? It's the opposite. According to very in-depth information available.

And the fix is 'easy', but it isn't the only thing that should be addressed for guidance. It would be a nice start though.
For simple PN guidance like the SARH we have, is it just the control loop being incorrectly implemented? (Disregarding MP lag and lottery ECCM)

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
JazonXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefifofum View Post
AIM-7 already perform accurately per the information available.
Umm... I'm not some CFD expert but an artificial velocity cap of about 1000kn at medium altitude doesn't seem quite right to me... This turd of a boom stick has a max effective range of only maybe 6mn if you're head-on and feeling lucky. (Not to mention it eats chaff for lunch lol)

My PC:
Spoiler:
--Intel Core i5-4570--EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1560mHz Core and 2000mHz Memory--2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 @ 2133mHz CAS 9--MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate--480GB Sandisk Ultra II, 1TB Seagate SSHD--Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed--

Peripherals:
Spoiler:
Track IR 4--Logitech Extreme 3D Pro--Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue--Alienware TactX Mouse--

A huge car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd!

FC3, P-51D, A-10C, MiG-21Bis, M2000C and F/A-18C!
JazonXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #13
GGTharos
Veteran

Bah, you're just the flavor of the day

You're right, Pk is higher.

Regarding the Sparrow, it's close but matching the actual long ranges is not easy. That's on a straight-out fly-out. If we talk about more in depth behavior, a lot of stuff is missing (not just from sparrow) and here we come back to use of simple PN and nothing but.

So, sparrow will actually do some interesting things like reduce the PN constant until in terminal mode (4.5nm or so away from target) - it basically has a long range and a dogfight mode. There is more to it than that, but basically let's consider those two.

There are other behaviors that have to do with the seeker and target search modes - the missile is basically launched blind, executes something called an 'English bias' command, and then searches for the target based on information fed to it prior to launch - so the doppler filter is applied then, and if the search fails they throw that filter wide open for example.

All of this stuff is important for all kinds of reasons.

You have some logic like:
Launch at target inside 10nm: Dogfight mode (unsafe fuze earlier, allow maneuvering earlier)
Launch at target outside 10nm: LRM mode - unsafe fuze later, don't maneuver much at launch.
Terminal mode: (4.5nm from target) Remove restrictions from PN, arm fuzes etc.
FLOOD launch: Dogfight mode, wide open doppler filter and use mothership g-bias for initial steering.

And so on and so forth.

Like I said, the flight dynamics are close, but IIRC still a bit short ranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefifofum View Post
I never said it couldn't be defeated, just that it has a higher pK...I see I'm your new favorite target though so I'll just refrain from commenting on these types of threads in the future.

I was under the impression the Sparrow was behaving itself per the flyout information IASGATG was able to reconstruct from various sources. Evidently I am misremembering.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
GGTharos
Veteran

No need for CFD in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazonXD View Post
Umm... I'm not some CFD expert but an artificial velocity cap of about 1000kn at medium altitude doesn't seem quite right to me... This turd of a boom stick has a max effective range of only maybe 6mn if you're head-on and feeling lucky. (Not to mention it eats chaff for lunch lol)

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote