Questions from the Community for Nick Grey - Answers!

NineLine

• ED Team

Q. NineLine, could you give some background regarding Nick himself and his position at ED/TFC? – Yurgon

A. I met Igor in 1989 in Moscow. We became friends pretty quickly and started ED in 1991 with a variety of software ventures beyond simulation, including Computational Flow Dynamics & CAD CAM. He was my 20% partner in all those ventures and one of the nicest people I have ever known. He ran the show and we spoke nearly every day about stuff. Great dancer, great partner, great sense of humour, what a gem…

ngrey_543807d.jpg

Q. I'm guessing he has his heart in the warbirds and Spits, but apart from those, I'd like to hear a wish list from Mr. Grey on what plane that we don't have in DCSW that he'd like to fly and where would it be. – Pikey

A. Types flown: Interesting ones  Gladiator, Hawker Hurricane IV & XII, Nimrod, Sea Fury, Hunter, Supermarine Spitfire Mk I, V, IX, XIV, XIX, Republic P47D, North American T6 Harvard II, Mustang P51C, P51D, B25 Mitchel, Grumman FM2 Wildcat, F5F-3 Hellcat, F8F-2P Bearcat, Boeing PT17, B17, FG1D Corsair, Curtis P36, Hawk 75, P40B, P40C P40M, P40F, Bell P39 Airacobra, P63 Kingcobra, Yak 11, Bucker Jungmann, Jungmeister, Fiesler Storch, Nieuport 17, Beech 17 Staggerwing, Pilatus P2, Mig29 2, Su 27…

I would like to see them all in DCS and more…

Q. We'll see a bomber on DCS World with multcrew someday? Which one would you like to fly in the simulator? – Overvolt

A. Yes, we are considering the Mosquito very actively and have gathered a very substantial amount of data. Dima (Yo-Yo) will travel to UK in July prior to Flying Legends and finish all his research and then we can get cracking.

maxresdefault.jpg

Q. Do you ever fly Multiplayer on public servers? And what is the most exciting non aircraft feature you can't wait to tell us about, in the not so near future of this SIM. - winchesterdelta1

A. No public server activity really. Much better ground warfare, game engine and campaign engine…

Q. Will we see some 4gen Russian fighters? Is there a way to get the ok from the Russian government? And why do they actually care? – TomCatMucDe

A. Too delicate…

Q. Will we see survey modules again like FC3 for the casual simmer and especially 'The Century Series' Surely classic air frames are a market seller ;-) – Mizzy

A. FC4 with four more aircraft

Flying Legends pack with 8 -12 aircraft …. ?

Century fighters are a big deal and a period I absolutely love, but not priority no.1 at the moment.

Q. I have a few questions.. you can pick and choose which you might want to use, if any:

1. Has anyone tried / would it be beneficial to use 3D scanning tech to get 1:1 scale models of the Fighter Collection's air-frames that could form the basis for importing into DCS (either as flyables, or even AI models)?

2. Have you considered bundling, in some way, memberships of/ subs to the "Friends of the Fighter Collection" (or merchandise from the online shop) with specific DCS warbird modules? – Philstyle

A. Good idea…

Q. Maybe this page on the TFC website needs a bit of a gloss-up too: https://foftfc.com/product/dcs-world...-sim-products/

3. As far as I can see, TFC doesn't have a flyable twin-engine warbird right now (I see a Beau in restoration...) does this impact on the likelihood that we will ever see a twinnie flyble in DCS? (maybe Avspecs in New Zealand can throw a Mossie our way .. ) – Philstyle

A. Must have a Mossie (Mosquito) in the future… we sold ours to Seattle and it’s flying in the most capable hands of Steven Hinton. Wow, what a great aircraft.

Q. 4. Battle of Britain... any thoughts?

(Ok, this one was silly, but I'd pay 150EUR (now + annual inlfation) for a fully complete BoB DCS, even if it only had 2 flyables for each side, so long as the rest was there in A.I. form and the map extended from Colchester to Dorset, Cherbourg to Bruges) – Philstyle

A. Battle of Britain is a personal dream of mine too….

Q. The Good old Question, what he thinks in Pro and Contra about the old reviles 109 and Spit, was these adversary over Time equal? What did he enjoy on flying each of the Warbirds what not? – MAD-MM

A. Spit would eat the Me109 of same era for breakfast in a turning fight but not in zoom energy fight. Know your tactics, keep out of the wrong game and you can’t lose in a spit. Spit XIV was total king of the hill….

Q. Is good info and documentation on P-47 Available? If not,Why? Thank You – Phantom88

A. We are hunting hard to find stuff… we know a lot but real polars, etc. are helpful and save us time and £/$

Q. 1. How important is it to have access to real aircraft when working together with ED on developing new WWII modules?¬ – xvii-Dietrich

A. Very. Sadly if you haven’t flown them, guess what….

Q. 2. As an owner of real WWII aircraft, does this ever give Nick Grey the privilege to interact/inspect the aircraft of other WWII collections? ¬ – xvii-Dietrich

A. All the time. Very small world, we are mostly all friends

Q. It sounds like aircraft is his interests. I’m wondering what he thinks of the AI system and the lack of ability to create real training missions that follow the four basic phases of training explanation, demonstration, famialiarization, and evaluation. Does he expect that the AI will be able to use it to train new pilots. – BlacleyCole

A. Our AI in general is poor and we will improve it. We haven’t placed enough energy in this area. 100%

With regards to training AI we have much to learn.

Q. Will there ever be a save game option midflight? This will be a game changer for me.. I have 2 kids and i really need to get away from pc during long flights. – Hreich

A. Technically tricky but let’s see.

Q. This is a great idea 9_, I'm interested in sounds. Sometimes our DCS warbirds give me the feel of a new car. Not a lot of rattles, or squeaks. – Paganus

A. Indeed. You are right. We are working to improve these somewhat. NB with power up you hear no detail at all. It’s absolutely deafening so forget squeaks etc. It’s just roar….

Q. In the real thing, do you hear much external noise or are the engines so load you cant? - Paganus

A. Zero. Occasionally if you are in tight formation you can hear the rumble of the other engine (s)

Q. Like when you approach the edge of the flight envelope and you pickup vibrations, do you hear rattles pings, pops? - Paganus

A. Nope except if power low or off

Q. What is the scariest sound he's heard while operating a warbird? - Paganus

A. The sound of silence….

Q. 1)rudder forces and effects of the 109.

are you really of the opinion that the 109 pilots in dcs should be restricted in rudder deflection already during the takeoff run? the way it is now in dcs, full deflection is only possible at really really slow speeds, and already during the later parts of the take off run, the pilot will not be able to give full rudder deflection due to the forces. – Birdstrike

A. Yes it’s correct. Too much power or too little and you are done. Either too much torque or too little wind over the tail. Fine balance.

At high speeds it’s impossible to put full deflection on any fighter. Too much pressure on pedal

Q. The same is true for the stick forces acting upon our 109 pilot. at speeds way below 300kph IAS he will not be able to pull the stick completely back... – Birdstrike

A. Correct

Q. And what makes me personally really sceptical that the stickforces are implemented correctly, is the fact, that once you lose 1 elevator, you all of a sudden can turn much tighter at higher speeds, which for me at least doesnt make any sense. – Birdstrike

A. If you lose an elevator then less resistance, 50% to be exact means full deflection becomes possible.

Q. What’s your opinion about the matter? – Birdstrike

A. It’s Correct!

Q. 2) Ground physics outside of airfields and runways.

Please try some take offs and landings with unlocked tailwheel in the 109 somewhere in the grass fields on either of the maps in DCS, away from airfields and runways. I would be interested whether you think this is implemented correctly... – Birdstrike

A. OK, improving things like this are always being looked at, but remember the Bf-109 has approximately 50% of all losses during takeoff and landing accidents on the eastern front. This was partially due to inexperienced pilots but also to poor grass strips.

Q. I always wondered about the Origins of the relationship between TFC and ED. How did it come about, and what exactly is the relationship? – Nate--IRL--

A. Friendship, Ownership, Publishing. Knowhow and persistence is our story

Q. What is the highest boost and rpm settings he has ever flown a Spitfire and what type? – 56RAF_Talisman

A. +14 MK XIV

SP_XIV.jpg

Q. P.S. What was it like to fly at high settings and fast speed in terms of feedback from the engine and airframe and maneuvering. – 56RAF_Talisman

A. It’s the mutts nuts… just keep your eye on stuff

Q. Given the access that Nick has, I am curious about what aircraft he chooses, whether it be a warbird or not, when he just wants to enjoy flying. – Cichlidfan

A. Good question, depends on the mood…

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

Cool, thanks for sharing Nineline

want mossie badly :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm happy, but disappointed, but disappointed and happy that a Mosquito is on the way.

Fingers and toes were tightly crossed for a P-38L, is all...

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I'm happy, but disappointed, but disappointed and happy that a Mosquito is on the way.

Fingers and toes were tightly crossed for a P-38L, is all...

Perhaps we will see it in the Flying Legends pack... it was popular during the Warbids vote.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Q. Do you ever fly Multiplayer on public servers? And what is the most exciting non aircraft feature you can't wait to tell us about, in the not so near future of this SIM. - winchesterdelta1

A. No public server activity really. Much better ground warfare, game engine and campaign engine…

giphy.gif

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Very cool and thanks Nick.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Very Cool:thumbup:Thx for the 411 :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Thank you Nick. Very excited about the prospect of a WWII twin somewhere on the road map. The Mossie is definitely one that deserves to come to DCS and there is no doubt that it will be a first day purchase by most. Have you ever thought about the Bristol Beaufighter as a candidate? The P-38, A-20, B-25, He-111, Me-110, ad nauseum! There are so many to choose from and EVERYBODY will have a compelling argument for their particular choice. I'm just happy to learn that some kind of twin is being thought about. When it hits the street, it will definitely separate the serious from the dilettantes! :thumbup: :pilotfly: :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you!

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I wouldn't say an announcement like ED normally does, but it's for sure showing EDs intent to do this.

It is interesting since previous statements from ED indicated that FC level aircraft were not in the plan, even though they make so much sense from a business standpoint.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This was really cool of Nick...:thumbup:

"Q. What is the scariest sound he's heard while operating a warbird? - Paganus

A. The sound of silence…."

This one cracked me up, yep that would get the heart ticking:cry:. I wonder what did happen here? Dead stick landing in a field? Air start?

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Available aircraft, especially with WWII are a weak point, I totally get the change of heart, and glad that both high and low fidelity can co-exsist.

The only thing that's needed to keep it on the level and fair for MP, is the need for a AFM/PFM flight model and a good damage model that can tie into this, the same as the other full modules will with their systems, such as the P-51D Mustang.

Then I don't see a problem here.

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link