Authentication system - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
AdmiralQuality+
Posting Rights Revoked

Default Authentication system

Am I correct that, the way this works, if DCS goes out of business and/or you lose access to them on the web (which is a distinct possibility for all American players now that net neutrality has been repealed) we have 3 days until our game won't even work offline anymore? Please tell me that's not the case.

Also, anyone know what's up? Can't play online due to this.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Top of the forums should be a maintenance notice they are currently doing on the servers. So that is why it is currently down.
Quote:
Dear users!
Due to second and the last in this year scheduled maintenance of the primary server, the DCS website, Module Manager, and Multiplayer (master server) services will be unavailable on Tuesday, December 19 starting at 06:00 UTC for a period of no more than 3 hours. The server's IP address will change, so we highly recommend that you update your DNS cache (run "ipconfig /flushdns" in Windows).

Our apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
Kayos

ah, cool. I just got the same. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
AdmiralQuality+
Posting Rights Revoked

Yeah, I'm in now though it seems to have gone down again and other players behind me can't get in.

Was this scheduled maintenance? Where are these things announced? It should really be a push rather than us actively having to search for the news.

But far more importantly, am I correct in my interpretation that this behavior means if ED/DCS ever go away, all our front ends die three days later?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
mvsgas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralQuality View Post
Was this scheduled maintenance? Where are these things announced? It should really be a push rather than us actively having to search for the news.
It was at the top of the forums sense last week.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
AdmiralQuality+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
It was at the top of the forums sense last week.
Wasn't in the weekly newsletter. I think that would be a more appropriate place for it rather than hoping players will be lucky enough to stumble on it here.

And there's so many individual forums I certainly don't go through them all. And I just looked in Community News and I don't see anything.

Oh, NOW I see it. It's not even a forum post but above the top of the list. Stuff I was just filtering out. (If I even looked at that forum at all, which I doubt I did -- not knowing it was my job to actively hunt for important service interruption announcements.)

Anyway, back to the far more serious issue. Do we own our licenses for this software or just borrow them?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
AdmiralQuality+
Posting Rights Revoked

And related question. When support for 1.5 is abandoned come the 2.5 merge in late January, will we still be able to play it online or is the Multiplayer authentication part of the "support"?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
And related question. When support for 1.5 is abandoned come the 2.5 merge in late January, will we still be able to play it online or is the Multiplayer authentication part of the "support"?
1.5 will be supported for some time still. Eventually it will be abandoned like all older versions of the sim.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
AdmiralQuality+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
1.5 will be supported for some time still. Eventually it will be abandoned like all older versions of the sim.
Wags said "support" for 1.5 would be abandoned as soon as 2.5 drops. What I'm wondering is, is the authentication system part of that support? I would hope not, as there's no need to offer support for a product that won't launch anymore, and if that was the case he could have simply said "1.5 will stop working three days after 2.5 is released". But I don't rightly know, it's been unclear, at least as far as what I've read.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Wags said "support" for 1.5 would be abandoned as soon as 2.5 drops. What I'm wondering is, is the authentication system part of that support? I would hope not, as there's no need to offer support for a product that won't launch anymore, and if that was the case he could have simply said "1.5 will stop working three days after 2.5 is released". But I don't rightly know, it's been unclear, at least as far as what I've read.
Has nothing to do with the authentication system for modules, they will stop updating 1.5 and move forward with 2.5.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread